• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is getting a futon worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my bed sucks. Absolutely horrible and a probable cause for my insomia. I've been looking at getting a futon lately mainly because I also want to have a couch and it would it make playing games and watching movies better. I'm still on the fence about mainly because I literally don't know anyone with one or had one for reference. Price range $200-400 maybe a bit higher. So should I get a futon.

Something like this:
714qPZ1sOzL._SL1000_.jpg

Edit: Frame is starting to break. I don't need a new matress.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Futons are pretty awful. If there's one out there that is actually comfortable, I would imagine that it would be too expensive to be worth choosing over a good mattress.

No, especially not if it will be replacing your bed. There is no way you will have a better night sleep on a futon than on just about any bed.

You say your mattress sucks and you think a futon will be better?

Matress is fine the frame is starting to break and the boards underneath it are starting to slip out. I don't know anything about futons, I'm just looking into my options. I may get a normal bed when all is said and done.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Matress is fine the frame is starting to break and the boards underneath it are starting to slip out. I don't know anything about futons, I'm just looking into my options. I may get a normal bed when all is said and done.
So buy a new bed or box springs.

M52B28

Banned
I'm sleeping on one. It's a piece of trash. I wish I had a nice mattress. This is like sleeping on bricks with a sheet on them.

Also, they're expensive for what they are. Just get a good mattress and save your back.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm sleeping on one. It's a piece of trash. I wish I had a nice mattress. This is like sleeping on bricks with a sheet on them.

I'd say it's more akin to sleeping on a bunch of clothes that have been stuffed tightly into a garbage bag.

-MD-

The quality of a futon is entirely up to you as you get to pick the frame and the mattress you put on it.

If you go that route don't get a metal frame, go for a nice wood one. If you're trying to save money just buy a traditional bed/mattress as you'll get more bang for your buck but if you really do want a futon you can have a nice one of you choose to.

My brother sleeps on a futon, uses this frame and it sleeps quite well. It's still low/medium tier but much better than the cheapo metal futon beds with 5 inch mattresses I remember sleeping on growing up (and included in OP).

I have a futon in my game room. It's nice to have for playing video games and watching movies but the few times I've fallen asleep on it were not particularly enjoyable. I definitely wouldn't use it as a bed.

DJ_Lae

No, don't get a futon. They're horrendous for sleeping on, and by the time you spend enough to get something that won't destroy your back every single night, you'd have long surpassed the price point for a good mattress.

I wouldn't even buy a futon for a spare bed unless I absolutely hated my guests.

Sakura

I didn't know these were called futons. I was thinking of something else.
In any case it doesn't seem like it would be more comfortable than a bed.

JoseLopez

Yeah I'm currently sleeping in one and fuck this man they're just so shitty for sleeping. I'm personally gonna get a temperpetic or whatever and just spend a little extra for a goodnight of sleep once I move out.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Futons are fine as an emergency bed for guests, but I wouldn't use one as a regular bed. You're better off getting a regular bed or a sofa bed.

RPS37

I sleep on a really nice futon, but it's only a really nice futon because it has a really nice mattresses.

You know, I used to love futons. I thought they were the height of hospitality. Having one in your den proclaims: "Look! I like other people enough that I'm willing to let them sleep here!" Then I started to use my living room more often, and occasionally dozed off while gaming or watching TV in there. And then I realized that a futon tries to be both a bed and a couch but really doesn't succeed at either function. I can't imagine sleeping on one every night.

Protip: Don't be cheap about things that separate you from the ground. Shoes, bed, tires. Pay good money for them. Replace your frame, get a nice memory foam mattress pad, and sleep like a baby.

Poyunch

Futons are shit but I get what you're saying OP. I have a studio and I typically have guests over so I bought a futon. Now I have a crappy bed and a crappy couch.

Had one in my first apartment. They suck. We never folded it as a couch besides maybe the first week. And it was only comfortable because of a very thick (like 4" thick) foam topper.

Why don't you get a loft bed? Then you can have seating underneath.

BigDug13

I spent a six month deployment sleeping on two memory foam toppers on a hunk of metal. So try a memory foam topper on the mattress. Makes a huge difference in comfort.

So my bed sucks. Absolutely horrible and a probable cause for my insomia. I've been looking at getting a futon lately mainly because I also want to have a couch and it would it make playing games and watching movies better. I'm still on the fence about mainly because I literally don't know anyone with one or had one for reference. Price range $200-400 maybe a bit higher. So should I get a futon.

Something like this:

Edit: Frame is starting to break. I don't need a new matress.

i have two of these
they are awful

kamakazi5

They aren't great but I have one that I use quite a bit. It was cheap with a terrible mattress so I got a foam topper and it's comfortable enough.

n0razi

I lived on one like in the OP for 2 years in college.... i dont think I minded then since I was dirt poor and passed out drunk or too tired half the time anyways.

Skelter

Banned
I'd like a futon but I have no idea how to buy one. I'm happy with my bed but I have a friend(s) sleep over pretty frequently. Anyone have recommendations for something that will last?

Kinokou

Go full weeaboo and get an actual Japanese futon

20140613182852b94.jpg

I didn't know there were any other kind of furniture going under the name of futon, and was really confused by the sofa bed picture and how people just said everything was uncomfortable about them.

I guess Japanese futons are more comfortable than that sofa hybrid?

I slept on a futon for 2 years when I came back from college because my parents gave away my bedroom to my younger brother.

It is not a bed. It is at best, a workaround for a sofa not being a bed. You can put a steering wheel on your bike, but it's not a car. They have a matress about the thickness of a PS4, and it kills your back for a while.

My advice OP is that a new, memory foam mattress will cost about an equivalent with a futon. As for watching movies and playing games, hell just prop yourself up against the wall and play on your bed.

I got a new matress two days ago after having the same one for 10 years and I have not wanted to leave bed. It is sublime.

jadedm17

I slept on a $100 extra thick futon mattress for years so they're not the worst.
That said I'd say just save and get a bed.

just buy a couch that folds out into a bed.

500ce05b62a4a62109bafd391685d01c.jpg

I can't find this bed literally anywhere, did you just google image "couch bed" or something?
That doesn't seem very helpful. If thats not the case, a link to this bed for sale somewhere would be great. (Google says Vento convertible bed?)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Go for the giant bean bag bed

bigbed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom