• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strategic Butt Coverings - Tropes vs Women in Video Games

This is very well timed with that SFV thread where everyone is posting gifs of female characters and drooling. thanks capcom!

LPride

Banned
Using Metal Gear as an example of a game that does not put emphasis on mens butts seems completely wrong.

e: I could be wrong, had the sound off since im at work, but I always feel obligated to bring up Metal Gear wherever I go

Tesseract

Banned
the butts must be shown here

picard-says-no-o.gif

This is very well timed with that SFV thread where everyone is posting gifs of female characters and drooling. thanks capcom!

Mika attack is too real

And yeah, this is a definite thing in movies too, not just games. The framing of females vs the framing of males is far different.

LPride

Banned
Mika attack is too real

And yeah, this is a definite thing in movies too, not just games. The framing of females vs the framing of males is far different.

Fun Fact: This is the actual definition of the Male Gaze but the way people use it right now youd think it meant a man in real life, looking at things.

Golnei

Using Metal Gear as an example of a game that does not put emphasis on mens butts seems completely wrong.

e: I could be wrong, had the sound off since im at work, but I always feel obligated to bring up Metal Gear wherever I go

It doesn't get a complete pass regardless - despite having some great examples of showing off men's butts in earlier games, recent titles have begun to skew further and further away from equal focus. MGSV having Quiet shove her bethonged ass into your face and prominently featuring the butts of the Skull Snipers with gratuitous camera focus, yet not even offering something as simple as a swimsuit for Snake is a good example of this disappointing shift. Even both sneaking suits available are relatively form-obscuring, nowhere near the heights achieved by the MGS2 one's iconic tightness.

This is the first time I've watched a feminist frequency video. I've always ignorantly assumed that the complaints and comments were silly. But this was a great video, and I totally understood the message she was expressing.

Feel kind of dumb that I didn't give this the time of day before.

maybe you should feel more obligated to listen to the video before commenting?

regardless it is used as an example of a game that shows guy butt without emphasising it in the same way women's butts are.

Tizoc

At first I was thinking " Come now, that 3rd person camera thing sounds rather silly when it applies to male characters as well. You rotate a camera enough in any video game and you can have the POV be on a male character's butt."
...then she showed some footage of the male characters.

Interesting vid otherwise.

Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku series doesn't get enough credit for the manservice it provides :/
tumblr_mencs6f0Qu1rsl35ao1_1280.jpg

maybe you should feel more obligated to listen to the video before commenting?

regardless it is used as an example of a game that shows guy butt without emphasising it in the same way women's butts are.

Raiden's butt is pretty well emphasized. He wears a skintight suit.

really just catwoman in general

Yeah, I'm a bit conflicted there to be honest. Catwoman's character design is like that, so in that very specific case, it's just an issue of the developers following the source material.

edit: I should probably clarify that I do find an issue with the source material, so I'm not using that as an excuse.

hodgy100

Glad it squashes the notion of more male sexualisation being the solution. While more male sexualisation would be cool as more diversity is always good we also need more of a balance when it comes to female sexualisation.

solid video yet again.

munchie64

There are so few games that star females that I can think of that don't have this problem. I mean I don't mind looking at it sometimes myself, butt it's completely ridiculous.

antitrop

Glad it squashes the notion of more male sexualisation being the solution. While more male sexualisation would be cool as more diversity is always good we also need more of a balance when it comes to female sexualisation.

solid video yet again.

What Batman is missing in ass, he makes up for in crotch bulge. Dude is PACKING

Golnei

Raiden's butt is pretty well emphasized. He wears a skintight suit.

With explicitly detailed high-cut panty lines. In general, MGS2 was pretty good about fetishising its cast equally. A shame later games never managed it, despite trying in a few instances. Snake's ass in MGS4 and Kaz's swimsuit doesn't come close to making up for the B&B corps and Quiet.

JayEH

It doesn't get a complete pass regardless - despite having some great examples of showing off men's butts in earlier games, recent titles have begun to skew further and further away from equal focus. MGSV having Quiet shove her bethonged ass into your face and prominently featuring the butts of the Skull Snipers with gratuitous camera focus, yet not even offering something as simple as a swimsuit for Snake is a good example of this disappointing shift. Even both sneaking suits available are relatively form-obscuring, nowhere near the heights achieved by the MGS2 one's iconic tightness.

Peace Walker had this though.

But yeah V went overboard with its fan service.

The BG&E boxart emphasises Jade's arse? Last thing I notice to be honest, most of the focus seems to be on the character's torso and head. I don't see anything that really highlights her backside, those jeans aren't exactly skintight either. It's more of an "action" pose than anything suggestive.

DrArchon

The comparisons between Catwoman and Batman make me wonder how the Arkham games have handled Nightwing's posterior. I know he's been a part of some DLCs or some such, and he has a skin tight suit without a cape. How does the camera work for someone like him?

Just curious.

Stopdoor

You should probably watch with sound before commenting. It's a counterexample.

Holy shit... this explains so much why so many male characters in games have stupid cloth flaps at the back

God damn

It's quite noticeable in Uncharted for example that Drake's butt is clearly presented.

I think that was used as an exception..

Grover

Banned
when deciding to use an over the shoulder camera, im very skeptical that the visibility of man ass even remotely enters the discussion,

maybe its subconscious? i dunno.

Heavenly Sword was most definitely not released in 2014

she got the movie mixed up with the game

The comparisons between Catwoman and Batman make me wonder how the Arkham games have handled Nightwing's posterior. I know he's been a part of some DLCs or some such, and he has a skin tight suit without a cape. How does the camera work for someone like him?

Just curious.

It works like you'd expect. Nightwing has a nice ass, it isn't really emphasized or deemphasized. It's just there.

androvsky

At first I was thinking " Come now, that 3rd person camera thing sounds rather silly when it applies to male characters as well. You rotate a camera enough in any video game and you can have the POV be on a male character's butt."
...then she showed some footage of the male characters.

Interesting vid otherwise.

Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku series doesn't get enough credit for the manservice it provides :/

I'm reminded of Yakuza 5, where the woman racer trying to fight against gender stereotypes was always introduced with the camera directly pointed at her ass with the painted on shorts. I get the impression the manservice is mainly in the samurai spinoffs, especially Ishin.

HotHamBoy

I've never cared either way about FF videos. I think it's good she is doing it, it needs to be done. But god damn, her voice is droll.

Huh. Cloth flaps thing makes total sense and it's so widespread. Of course the counter argument is that guy characters wear flowing coats and stuff to look cool, but then trying to think of female characters wearing trench coats makes me draw a blank.

Huh. Cloth flaps thing makes total sense and it's so widespread. Of course the counter argument is that guy characters wear flowing coats and stuff to look cool, but then trying to think of female characters wearing trench coats makes me draw a blank.

Well, that might be because largely, female characters aren't designed to be "cool" with overdesigned outfits.

Just curious.
He doesn't have an ass in the Arkham games. His suit is padded in armor in Arkham Knight so you can't see much.

some of the SFV designs are just abhorrent.

defending them is something ill never understand

that wrestler chick? are you kidding?
The SFV situation is so, so strange. The producer or whomever said that he removed the butt slap for accessibility reasons and so as not to estrange women but then all of those costumes are a million times worse than that animation.

Wulfram

Butts are a good point of comparison between men and women, so its a good choice of subject. Other pieces of anatomy are generally difficult to do a straightforward comparison.

Though I would say that some of the clothing is simply games reflecting fashion in the wider world. Tight pants/shorts is at the moment more of a women's thing. One could say that this is itself sexist, but it seems like that's switched around a few times in history, and I'm not sure how much its reasonable to expect video games to fight current fashions.

Also, I think with RPGs most follow cameras are rather bottom focused, while TPS tends to be higher in order to help the targeting make more sense.

Just curious.
Nightwing's ass in the Arkham games is pretty emphasised in the character design, but not so much in the animation as with Catwoman.

Seriously though, going through the model viewer in all the games just shows that the art team at Rocksteady LOVE butts. Pretty much every character model in those games has a nice ass (including Batman's if you can get the camera in the right place).

Top Bottom