• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to hold Xbox & Windows 10 Media event Feb. 25th

RulkezX

What that article describes the event as and what the OP seems to expect are 2 different things.

People are going to be disappointed if they expect a huge blowout here.

Zedox

Hopefully they'll announce Gears UE for PC, KI release and maybe MCC for PC.

Gears UE has already been announced for PC (w10 I believe)

could be some real simple stuff like universal apps and easier windows 10-x1 crossplay stuff

I think that's totally reasonable and I wouldn't be mad at it. I hope they go for something along the lines of "From point X on, all of our first party games will be cross-buy and cross-play (where available) with W10 and Xbox One". I think that will be very telling and even if we know they will probably say it...them confirming it will be awesome.

RulkezX said:
What that article describes the event as and what the OP seems to expect are 2 different things.

People are going to be disappointed if they expect a huge blowout here.

What I truly expect is them to just show off games that have already been announced and maybe a few "surprises" with cross-buy/play and a focus on Windows 10 gaming. All the other stuff is wishlist type of stuff. But they are definitely trying to highlight games in Q1/Q2.

I think it's probably just a hands-on of the games that we already know that are coming to the Xbox/W10 platform. I think there will be some cross-buy announcements. But all in all, I think it's just to change the picture of them not having games during Q1/Q2 (which had its own thread here...lol). I'm not expecting much either but hopefully it can be something they do normally. I wouldn't mind this next year with Scalebound.

That's the vibe I got from the article as well. Just an event to highlight mainly first half 2016 stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if there as a new indie game announcement, but I'm not expecting major news.

Still looking forward to it though.

Elandyll

Banned
Wonder if they'll double down on Win10 integration and announce a true Win10 game platform leverage (as in all Win 10 games made by MS Studios available on all platforms) or just go business as usual. My guess is a new XB1 (slim?) would actually be announced at E3 and VR would probably be at GDC to try and "steal" some of the PSVR hype. Maybe there will be an Hololens update, given its positioning as a Win10 "device/ platform"?

FelipeMGM

I think you guys are going a bit too far with Xbox Slim stuff. Sounds like a event to showcase games that are coming before or around E3 for both Xbox One and Windows 10. Console revisions are a huge thing, prob nothing suited for this event.

Hopefully they show the Gears of War 4 Beta. Phil Spencer did say he's been playing a lot of Gears 4 MP... man I hope they show it. The Gears UE finals were such a let down in that regard.

Shabad

Spring line up ? What do they have planned for that period besides Quantum Break ? Maybe open betas for GoW4 and Fable Legends ?

gamz

Nobody else seems to be talking about this. Warren, Thurrott, and Mary Jo usually have the inside track on this stuff.

AlStrong

Gears 4 on Windows10? :p

I expect them to do porting work after the game releases on Xbox. I'd almost prefer it so they can focus on the one platform, perhaps even release the Windows version with more content at a later date. I suppose they could hire someone else to port the game as they go along, but I'm not really a fan of that sort of collaboration given the difficulties of coordination unless they get say...Bluepoint to do it (great track record). Anyways, I'd say it's too early for them to discuss that.

They still have to talk about Gears of War Ultimate on Win10. I'd like to hear plans for Gears 2/3/J as well, but... probably too early.

Zedox

Nothing from Brad Sams either. I think it's going to be Window 10 apps for Xbox. That seems to make the most sense.

I just talked to Paul on twitter, he did receive the email.

Topic:

The email did state: "“the best games and platform experiences launching this spring on Xbox and Windows 10"

To me, the "platform experiences" means that we'll get some news on the platform side aside from the normal "preview stuff" that we currently get.

Spring line up ? What do they have planned for that period besides Quantum Break ? Maybe open betas for GoW4 and Fable Legends ?

If prior "Spring Showcases" are anything to go by, it'll be content (some hands-off) of games scheduled for release in 2016 overall. Microsoft also typically makes room for third party publishers to demo their games as well.

blakep267

Here's what I see

W10: Gears UE, Gigantic, Fable Legends, Killer Instinct, Cuphead, Ashen, ( off chance for something like Sunset Overdrive for W10), Ori DE

Xbox: Quantum Break, Fable Legends, Gigantic, Cuphead, Ashen, killer Instinct, Gears 4 Beta, Stranger of sword city, Ori DE

XB1 slim pls

It doesn't say anything about new announcements so… I wouldn't get excited just yet. At best we might see something from ReCore (although no longer Spring) and the Gears 4 beta, probably.

Slim console will be saved for e3 or gamescom I bet

etta

my hard graphic balls
I wanna get excited but I'll keep my checkspectations at 4/10 for now.
There probably will be some ReCore footage, though. And perhaps some fancy new OS features, but other than that it will probably be just already-announced games like Quantum Break and The Division.

AlStrong

Halo: MCC & Halo 5 PC announcement incoming.

I'm not sure I have any hope left
As long as they spent time fixing MCC for PC. :p They've practically got the engines up and running on PC-like architectures, but the multiplayer could be tricky unless it's all part of launching XBL on Win10.

Probably too soon for Halo 5 if it's even being considered.

Zedox

I think they'll probably show off the DVR functionality that was promised last fall and also show off Cortana that was also promised last fall (for preview members).

EDIT: Hopefully they can show a new "my games and apps" section, if they worked on it.

Sydle

I doubt there will be any new game announced. I feel this is to start to drive home the idea that Xbox and Windows/PC are one.

Nzyme32

I'm thinking this will have a lot more of a Win 10 angle than some expect, and how xbox is all things to all people via win 10

blakep267

Maybe some more preview program games will be shown also

Rivals of aether and that underwater game still haven't come out yet

Oh god this would be awesome !

#IDARB and Gigantic are announced for Windows 10 (and cross play with Xbox One)

idarb has become such a joke though. first update was expected in july. it just came out last week.

it still doesnt have real multiplayer over xbl

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh man, I would love Sunset Overdrive on PC.
Would help give the game some much needed exposure.

Also, please don't bring anymore fake audience that claps at everything you say, Microsoft.
Or at least teach them when to clap.

Podge293

Awesome, hope we hear more about Recore.

Nah idk they have the division bundle in March at $399, who's gonna buy that with a slim around the corner?

But a Slim QB bundle for $299 would be amazing.

Unless they offer the slim as another bundle with the division?

Zedox

Oh man, I would love Sunset Overdrive on PC.
Would help give the game some much needed exposure.

Also, please don't bring anymore fake audience that claps at everything you say, Microsoft.
Or at least teach them when to clap.

You mean like when Apple puts most employees at their events that clap at everything? I don't like when companies put their employees at events that should be for another audience. I heard at the Surfacebook event is was more regular people (including press) that was clapping at stuff than employees, but I agree.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for any announcements. They did something similar last year and it was literally just a media event to let the press preview the spring lineup, I'm not expecting anything different (other then clearly a bigger emphasis on Windows gaming so I'd expect well see Gears and KI for PC here)

I don't even think we'll see Recore, or Gears 4 , or Crackdown in any shape or form.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You mean like when Apple puts most employees at their events that clap at everything? I don't like when companies put their employees at events that should be for another audience. I heard at the Surfacebook event is was more regular people (including press) that was clapping at stuff than employees, but I agree.

Well, sure, but Apple's is not nearly as cringe worthy.

Top Bottom