• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How rich is Russian leader Vladimir Putin? [BBC docu]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler: he's very rich
and very corrupt.

Vladimir Putin has been accused of corruption on a breathtaking scale. His critics say he's used his power to amass a secret fortune, so is the Russian president really one of the richest people in the world? Reporter Richard Bilton meets former Kremlin insiders who say they know how Putin's riches are hidden.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06z9584/panorama-putins-secret-riches

For people not fortunate enough to live in UK:
Putin's Secret Riches

The Kremlin denies and demands proof:
The Kremlin has called on the US Treasury to come up with proof after it told a BBC investigation it considered President Vladimir Putin to be corrupt.

And I'm sure proof will come tenfold, but not only that. Since this is the first time a US government official calls Putin corrupt, (at least) the US and UK are likely in the process of implementing personal sanctions against Voldemort and his buddies. I hope they will come after those yachts, offshore bank accounts, etc.
Especially in UK Russian billionaires have tons of assets so hopefully it will squeeze them quite a bit.

Previously the BBC have interviewed the currently most famous Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny about his investigation on the corruption of Russia's prosecutor general and his family. Not simple corruption, mind you, but involvement in a organized crime syndicate:

Alexei Navalny: 'Putin is the Tsar of corruption'

The state-sponsored assassination of Alexander Litvinenko raises questions about law and order in Russia.
One man who is an expert on this subject is Russian opposition activist and blogger Alexei Navalny, who has several short spells in prison under his belt.
His brother, Oleg, is in jail now, on, critics say, trumped-up charges as a political hostage.
Mr Navalny has spoken to BBC Newsnight's John Sweeney about Litvinenko, his own fight to free Russia from corruption, and whether it is worth the risk.

Today Navalny posted the translated version of that investigation:
Chaika. An investigative documentary by the Anti-Corruption Foundation

I hope this somehow reaches some Russians...

King of the oligarchs in one of the most openly corrupt countries on earth is stupidly wealthy with dirty money?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you.

King of the oligarchs in one of the most openly corrupt countries on earth is stupidly wealthy with dirty money?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you.

I too was SHOCKED. Nah, but the docu is still worth watching. Also the real news is Putin being branded as corrupt by officials which I assume (and hope) is because Putin is finally being put into the same category as minor corrupt dictators and his assets and the assets of his billionaire buddies are about to be frozen.

Not sure which is more surprising, this or FIFA turning out to be corrupt. My heart can only take so much shock.
You bring up an interesting point. I almost forgot the 2018' WC is still scheduled to take place in Russia. Hard to imagine that if their leadership remains the same.

Engell

Hallo mister Alexei Navalny, please can we serve you some slightly radioactive tea?
Mr. Putin sends his greetings..

massoluk

Banned
One second, I'm just about to publish a research paper on the fact that the day sky is blue. What is this about Putin's corruption?

He basically owns Russia.

Any money he stacks outside of Russia basically will benefit the US because the USD is international currency.

And money is pointless number to him because he can only pass a tiny fraction of it to his descendants.

Sesto

Banned
this is just an other attempt by western media in ruining the image of Putin.
Why don't they make a documentary about the election of the US president, baked by Wall Street or the Weapon Lobby?

ICKE

Banned
It is a pointless argument, because money itself means nothing to someone like Putin. He has direct control over the largest country on this planet (Russia also happens to be the most resource rich nation as well).

He can never use his personal wealth publicly but Putin can organize the sort of undertakings that billionaires can only dream of.

One second, I'm just about to publish a research paper on the fact that the day sky is blue. What is this about Putin's corruption?

Next thing you know, the sky is gonna be challenging your claims and demanding proof.

Why don't they make a documentary about the election of the US president, baked by Wall Street or the Weapon Lobby?

What image? The one where he kills journalists, avoids term limits, and wrestles bears?

Engell

Because that is not what we are talking about right now...

Pedrito

Who cares? Western politicians are just as corrupt. At least Putin has the wellness of its people at heart and not the wellness of megacorporations of the military–industrial complex.

Please send me my 5 rubles

edit: damn it, beaten already.

Mimosa97

Yes because one can't criticize both Putin and the corrupted US politicians ?

Aiii

So not worth it

All of these documentaries exist.

kmfdmpig

Can you provide the propaganda images of Putin that the Kremlin has approved? That would please them when they review your posts.

It is a pointless argument, because money itself means nothing to someone like Putin. He has direct control over the largest country on this planet (Russia also happens to be the most resource rich nation as well).

He can never use his personal wealth publicly but Putin can organize the sort of undertakings that billionaires can only dream of.

I'm sure he could have retired to live on some of Berlusconi's bunga bunga islands or retire to live somewhere else in Russia. But now he'll certainly end up prematurely dead or in court.
The times when resource richness was key to success are long over. Russia is learning that right now. No disrespect, but I remember you saying that the role of oil price in the Russian economy is greatly exaggerated when I tried to convince you of the opposite. What do you think now...?
And if I were you I would not overestimate the undertakings that can be done in a corrupt like Russia, a country rotten and corrupt to the core. Almost two years after the annexation, how's that Crimean bridge coming?
How is the payback against Turkey coming? All those produce embargoes are sure going to kill Turkey any minute now.
Russians need to divorce themselves from that 50yo old image of a superpower / empire or they'll end up like the Germans and the Ottomans.

Oh no, not the Putin.
There are countless documentaries on that.

Who cares? Western politicians are just as corrupt. At least Putin has the wellness of its people at heart and not the wellness of megacorporations of the military–industrial complex.

Please send me my 5 rubles

edit: damn it, beaten already.

No they're not. You clearly don't understand the concept of scale.
(with Berlusconi being the one notable exception...and he's not quite in the same ballpark)

siddhu33

Most politicians are getting kickbacks of some sort, even in nations which have pretty good corruption levels.

Imagine how much money people are getting in places where you have to bribe someone daily to get stuff done.

Sesto

Banned
Sergei Pugachev, one of the men in the documentary that claims Putin is corrupt and rich, is fleeing from Russia because ironically he is accused for embezzling loans from the government. Now the funny thing to me is, with all the talk about Putin having huge mansions, is that indeed this dude is sitting in a huge mansion in Nice xD

Sergei Pugachev, one of the men in the documentary that claims Putin is corrupt and rich, is fleeing from Russia because ironically he is accused for embezzling loans from the government. Now the funny thing to me is, with all the talk about Putin having huge mansions, is that indeed this dude is sitting in a huge mansion in Nice xD

Al Capone was busted by info gathered from someone who worked for him, too.

The Wall

Banned
I understand there is some pretty... interesting stuff in Russia but... you think the Anti-Corruption Foundation will ease off on anything that could affect him replacing Assad?

Is there a number? Ferdinand Marcos I think plundered around 10b from the Philippines, although there are some claims of 100b+. Qaddafi was supposed to be worth over 200b USD, yet died in a ditch shot by his own country men. Saddam Hussein was estimated around 2b USD.

Being a corrupt dictator seems pretty good up until the point where the people revolt and kill you.

deefol

Not surprised, him and other corrupt officials in the UAE and african countries have probably siphoned enough money to be individually richer than bill gates

Pretty sure those documentaries exist. Sure, the "main stream" media sources are mostly concerned with bullshit but, unlike Russian media, the ones that are doing good work can at least do it without fear of being targeted for hits.

And lol at "ruining the image of Putin."

I haven't lived in Russia for many years but anyone acting as an apologist for Putin has clearly eaten so much of his crap that they see him and the country as one. I guess it's because for some they've only ever known him. If anyone says anything about Putin, they see it as a personal attack against Russia.

The fact is they're not one. Russia is a country and he is just one, corrupt, wannabe-tough-guy douchebag who will be remembered primarily for negative reasons.

I mean I complain about the U.S. squandering decades of progress and being much farther behind than it should be all the time. It drives me fucking nuts. My head would explode if I was still in Russia.

Condom

Is there a number? Ferdinand Marcos I think plundered around 10b from the Philippines, although there are some claims of 100b+. Qaddafi was supposed to be worth over 200b USD, yet died in a ditch shot by his own country men. Saddam Hussein was estimated around 2b USD.

Being a corrupt dictator seems pretty good up until the point where the people revolt and kill you.

ehhh...

But I get your point, history has a lot of examples of dictators getting their butt kicked by their own countrymen

Lkr

how do i watch this in america? i wish the BBC would let me buy an international television license, wtf

FStop7

Banned

proof located

750x-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom