• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Q3 FY 2016 Results: Monster Hunter X (Cross) 3.2 million

Bruno MB

Financial Results for the 9 Months ended December 31, 2015 Increased by 19.3% in Net Sales, by 9.0% in Operating Income from the Previous Term
- Favorable Consumer business, including "Monster Hunter X (Cross)" and overseas digital download sales contributed to the earnings -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that net sales increased to 57,060 million yen (up 19.3% from the same term last year) in the 9 months of fiscal year ending March 31, 2016. As for profits, operating income increased to 10,604 million yen (up 9.0 % from the same term last year), and ordinary income increased to 10,640 million yen (up 5.2% from the same term last year). Net income for the current period increased to 7,006 million yen (up 7.1 % from the same term last year).

During the 9 months ended December 31, 2015, the latest title in the featured series "Monster Hunter X (Cross)" was a major hit and contributed to significant sales of more than 3 million units, surpassing the initially-planned 2.5 million units. In addition, sales of repeat titles and digital download contents were firm, particularly in overseas markets, in the Digital Contents business.

Regarding online games, "Dragon's Dogma Online", an online open-world action game, was strong, while mobile contents sales improved as downloads of "Monster Hunter Explore" surpassed 3 million. Meanwhile, in the growing Chinese market, distribution of the PC online game "Monster Hunter Online" by Tencent Holdings Limited in cooperation with Capcom, which began in December, was off to a good start.

The resulting consolidated net sales were 57,060 yen (up 19.3 % from the same term last year), operating income was 10,604 million yen (up 9.0% from the same term last year), and all profits exceeded the same term last year.

The forecast for the consolidated business results for the current fiscal year ending March 31, 2016 remains the same as what was projected at the financial results announcement on May 7, 2015.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e160128b.html

pV1AO90.jpg

kJNaoDw.jpg

zaGbbzB.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2015/3rd/explanation_2015_3rd_01.pdf

Capcom updated million sellers list:

Monster Hunter X (Cross) - 3,200,000 (NEW)
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 200,000 (4,100,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 5 - 100,000 (7,000,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 6 - 100,000 (6,400,000 LTD)
Street Fighter IV - 100,000 (3,400,000 LTD)
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 100,000 (1,600,000 LTD)
Resident Evil Revelations - 100,000 (1,500,000 LTD)
Resident Evil (HD Remastered) - 100,000 (1,200,000 LTD)

Rymuth

2 million for SFV is very sensible.

Congrats @ RE5 for clearing 7 million.

Too bad there aren't any news about DMC4 SE

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Capcom made the correct decision of shifting the Monster Hunter series from Sony handheld to Nintendo handheld.

700k units above initial expectations which were set for March 31, 2016: amazing sales for the new iteration in the MH franchise.

Also, the MH4 project sold 8.2m units worldwide.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Resident Evil:Remake Master did crazy good!

Dragon's Dogma PC sales must have caught them off guard while making their power point.

Don't see any plans for HD remasters on the slides, so I suppose that's that?

Great numbers for Resident Evil Revelations 2. It has already surpassed the first game. Hopefully Capcom keeps that side series going.

2 mil for SF5 should be easy.

When does the Capcom FY end...March 31st? If so I definitely think SFV will hit 2 million worldwide by then.

Akiller

In the Pachinko & Pachislo sub-segment, unit sales of "Resident Evil 6" strongly increased with the support of loyal fans, which has backed the improvement in revenue as it contributed to the increase in sales. However, sales of "Asura's Wrath" remained weak.

See guys?Loyal fans support Pachinko.

RE 4 Wii Edition - 2 Million units.

It would be really educational to see how the project margins for this game compare to the other Resident Evil releases.

The game is a port from an original that ran in the same hardware. Basic difference been a superficial adaptation to a new input device. The team was probably in the low double digits in comparison to teams of hundreds and hundreds of developers for 5 and 6 for example.

Bruno MB

Bruno do you know if the full game download figures include F2P downloads or not? Seems a bit high.

Units of Resident Evil Revelations 2 represents package sales and all seasons passes for digital download versions.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 Deluxe Edition – $29.99
Resident Evil® Revelations 2 - Season Pass – $19.99

If for example you only bought chapter 1 which is now free to download (or even all chapters individually) it won't be included in the 1.6 million figure.

Units of Resident Evil Revelations 2 represents package sales and all seasons passes for digital download versions.

If for example you only bought chapter 1 which is now free to download (or even all chapters individually) it won't be included in the 1.6 million figure.

Thx but I was talking about the 4 million figure in slide 12 btw. 4 million paid downloads seems high (but maybe doable with PC?)

Do we know what MH 4G's japanese LTD is ?

I'd love to know what it did in the west so far. It has to be in the 1.3 million range, no ?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Capcom shipped 200k at the last week of the year.

Monster Hunter X
November 28, 2015 Japan

December 3, 2015 announcement for 2m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151203.html

December 24, 2015 announcement for 3m shipment
http://capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151224.html

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
October 11, 2014 Japan
February 2, 2015 West

October 15, 2014 announcement for 2m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e141015.html

February 16, 2015 announcement for 3m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e150216b.html

October 21, 2015 announcement for 4m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151021.html

Memory

Dragon's Dogma PC sales must have caught them off guard while making their power point.

Don't see any plans for HD remasters on the slides, so I suppose that's that?

How did it do sales wise? Also has anyone compared to the PS3 release?

It's crazy how much profit Mon Hun must make them, the production costs are low due to the hardware and they reuse or edit alot of assets.

Waiting on that X western release date, summer would be a good time to drop it.

How did it do sales wise? Also has anyone compared to the PS3 release?

It's crazy how much profit Mon Hun must make them, the production costs are low due to the hardware and they reuse or edit alot of assets.

Waiting on that X western release date, summer would be a good time to drop it.

Thats not true.

They are no Resident Evil 6 and Dragons Dogmas, but there was this interview with Tsujimoto that revealed that "a few hundred people" worked on MH4.

That number is obviously inflated because he probably counted every person who was somewhat involved....

...but the idea that Capcom just squirts these massive and ultra polished games out on the cheap is wrong.

cheesekao

Thats not true.

They are no Resident Evil 6 and Dragons Dogmas, but there was this interview with Tsujimoto that revealed that "a few hundred people" worked on MH4.

That number is obviously inflated because he probably counted every person who was somewhat involved.

...but this idea that Capcom can just squirt these massive and ultra polished games out on the cheap is wrong.
I hope you realize MH4 is a brand new numbered entry compared to the G versions and even X. While they do have new maps and monsters, the assets are mostly reused from the base version(s).

Bruno MB

Thx but I was talking about the 4 million figure in slide 12 btw. 4 million paid downloads seems high (but maybe doable with PC?)
I wasn't exactly sure what you were asking for, the only information Capcom provides is that full game download includes the titles distributed only by download.

I don't think RER2 is on Wii U...

I wonder if PS Vita version sales are included. All we know going by shipment data is that it sold below 220,000 units.

PS Vita software sales

Q2 + Q3 - 220,000 units (6 SKU's)

I hope you realize MH4 is a brand new numbered entry compared to the G versions and even X. While they do have new maps and monsters, the assets are mostly reused from the base version.

Thats true, and I understand that not every iteration MH 4 needs such a massive development staff (thats why those rereleases exist in the first place).

But some people seem to think that, because the series is on the 3DS, Capcom doesn't put significant ressources behind every game.

Bruno MB

Mainline Resident Evil titles

(All SKU's included)

I didn't include HD remasters or remakes and evidently those SKU's that aren't included in Capcom's Platinum Titles list.

Resident Evil 5 - 7,000,000
Resident Evil 6 - 6,400,000
Resident Evil 4 - 5,900,000
Resident Evil - 5,080,000
Resident Evil 2 - 4,960,000
Resident Evil 3 - 3,500,000
Resident Evil Code: Veronica - 2,540,000
Resident Evil 0 - 1,250,000

sphinx

the piano man
Mainline Resident Evil titles

(All SKU's included)

I didn't include HD remasters or remakes and evidently those SKU's that aren't included in Capcom's Platinum Titles list.

Resident Evil 5 - 7,000,000
Resident Evil 6 - 6,400,000
Resident Evil 4 - 5,900,000
Resident Evil - 5,080,000
Resident Evil 2 - 4,960,000
Resident Evil 3 - 3,500,000
Resident Evil Code: Veronica - 2,540,000
Resident Evil 0 - 1,250,000

how does your list work?

so for example, out of the many RE4 iterations, which ones are you counting here? the NGC/PS2 and that's it? and for RE5 just the original PS360?

Memory

Thats not true.

That number is obviously inflated because he probably counted every person who was somewhat involved....

...but the idea that Capcom just squirts these massive and ultra polished games out on the cheap is wrong.

No offense intended but i think you may have read my post in the wrong light and associated me with another group of detractors.

What I meant was that that the hardware and assets keep production costs comparatively low, meaning that if this series was on say PS4 or even Vita than the profit margins would not be as high even if they sold the same amount, due to the increased production time, marketing and resources needed.

Sorry for not being clear but I was certainly not insulting the series or Capcom MH stratagems :) .

No offense intended but i think you may have read my post in the wrong light and associated me with another group of detractors.

What I meant was that that the hardware and assets keep production costs comparatively low, meaning that if this series was on say PS4 or even Vita than the profit margins would not be as high even if they sold the same amount, due to the increased production time, marketing and resources needed.

Sorry for not being clear but I was certainly not insulting the series or Capcom MH stratagems :) .

Oh, no worries ! I know what people you are refering to.

I agree completely.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Capcom made the correct decision of shifting the Monster Hunter series from Sony handheld to Nintendo handheld.

And The best selling mh is still Monster Hunter Freedom 3 on psp.

No imho. The MH will play better on vita because it has
1) much better controller. The 3ds sucks ergonomically
2) much better screen resolution. The Japanese text looks like on 8bit pc games
3) much better visual fidelity. Imagine what the monsters look like with modern graphics.

MH is in real danger of fatigue.
Capcom adds so many extra stuff.
No one will be able to do complete 50% of it

I have read in japanese magazines, staff are moving to other ps4 projects too ( presumably got bored by the 5 3ds mh iterations )

3) much better visual fidelity. Imagine what the monsters look like with modern graphics.

I have read in japanese magazines, staff are moving to other ps4 projects too ( presumably got bored by the 5 3ds mh iterations)

Oh, I'm sure Capcom got bored by the millions sold on 3DS .

Lanrutcon

So when will they try a big budget Monster Hunter? I want to see what happens when they throw money at the franchise :D

Then again, it might be a disaster.

I have read in japanese magazines, staff are moving to other ps4 projects too ( presumably got bored by the 5 3ds mh iterations )

If you want to play the "it would play better on X platform" game, then everything should be PC or home console. As for visual fidelity, I think you're overestimating Vita by a good margin.

So when will they try a big budget Monster Hunter? I want to see what happens when they throw money at the franchise :D

Then again, it might be a disaster.

The only way for it to happen would be an engine change, suitable for a gaming handheld, with cross platform play.

This is a financial thread. They obviously were talking about from a sales perspective which is absolutely correct. I also dont think MH is really in danger of fatigue more than any other series thst does expansions. Most of the growth in the series in the west would have to be attributed to Nintendo co marketing.

Wait another year or so for MH NX. It will have all that that you mentioned, and more! :)

Top Bottom