• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Miiverse interview

Kinsei

Banned
Here are a few interesting excerpts.

MariChan: It's kind of an unexpected crossover, isn't it…? Speaking of which, there was one question that cropped up a lot more than any other: "Why no Paper Luigi?"

Otani: We did think "We've got to have double bros!" at one point, but we also thought that we should stick with three-button play, that four buttons might be too difficult, and that the game would be frustrating to play. Because of that, we made ease-of-play a priority, and settled on just using the A/B/Y buttons, which meant unfortunately that Paper Luigi would have to sit this one out. Sorry about that!

Uh, have they forgotten about Partners in Time? That being said,|I feel like it was for the best as I imagine Paper Luigi would have been mute.

MariChan: Both the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series are known for their high-quality storylines, so did this aspect also turn out to be tricky to handle?

Kobayashi: ...It did. We were thinking, since the paper characters were coming all the way from the paper world, let's make the main story something really bizarre, crammed with red herrings and misapprehensions. We had things like going back and forth to the paper world, and the Mushroom Kingdom turning gradually into paper... But we overdid it a bit, and the first draft of the plot ended up being a complete muddle that wouldn't resonate with anyone... So we simplified the script and structured it with greater emphasis on showing the different characters meeting and interacting with each other. We had to do a lot of re-writes...

I really wish they would have gone with one of those ideas.

MariChan: That reminds me: In the Mario & Luigi games, there are usually lots of interesting characters who don't appear in other Mario games, but this time it seemed to be mostly main-line characters. Was this also something to do with it being a crossover?

Otani: Oh no, nothing to do with that! This time, since we had so many paper characters and doubles of the same character together, we had to prioritize moving the story forward and communicating the contrast between them. It would have been really difficult to put in original characters and work out when would be the best time for them to appear.

I am very glad to hear this was Alphadream's decision and not something that was required of them.

Rad the full thing here: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk3QkSgUA

Astral Dog

So canonically the Mario and Luigi Bowser is the true classic one, while PM is on another universe with different characters made of paper?

Nanashrew

Banned
I can't believe you forgot about the part with Natsuko Kemi!

Hello! Mario & Luigi graphics designer Natsuko Kemi here! Perhaps I should try and keep it short… To pick an example, let's talk about the animation in the scene when Luigi is on his own. I used the way that Luigi walks in the Luigi's Mansion series as a reference when I put it together. I really like those games myself, so I hope that connection comes across and the fans are able to sense it! And then, as always, I did my best to cram lots of tiny details into the little pixel characters, like the direction of their gaze or what their hands are doing. Also, for some reason, I really focused on getting the roundness of Luigi's behind just right.

Luigi's round behind.

Kinsei

Banned
I can't believe you forgot about the part with Natsuko Kemi!

Luigi's round behind.

You can't just post that without the response.

Marichan: Don't worry, I'm sure the fans will get the Luigi's Mansion connection! He really does walk with that nice slippery movement that we've come to expect. And I have to say, I definitely noticed Luigi's behind...

Shaanyboi

Banned
Also, for some reason, I really focused on getting the roundness of Luigi's behind just right

11cdb0c4b0f3824f3c1e14e4ae6446c3.jpg

udivision

MariChan: That reminds me: In the Mario & Luigi games, there are usually lots of interesting characters who don't appear in other Mario games, but this time it seemed to be mostly main-line characters. Was this also something to do with it being a crossover?

Otani: Oh no, nothing to do with that! This time, since we had so many paper characters and doubles of the same character together, we had to prioritize moving the story forward and communicating the contrast between them. It would have been really difficult to put in original characters and work out when would be the best time for them to appear.
I am very glad to hear this was Alphadream's decision and not something that was required of them.

That's understandable.

I'm still completely terrified of how Paper Mario Wii U might be handled.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So it seems like that they had a lot of ideas but instead decided to simplify the game instead of going overboard.

Personally I think they made a mistake in doing that.

So it seems like that they had a lot of ideas but instead decided to simplify the game instead of going overboard.

Sequels!
Also i feel it looks worst when you mess-up going overboard, then being simple.

Ridley327

I dunno, you could really tell that Dream Team was way too messy with all the stuff it tried to do. Having not played Paper Jam, it's possible they pared it down too much in comparison, but going back to a more simplified approach was needed, I think.

Joqu

Indeed. I figured it was AlphaDream's decision, to them the Paper characters had to be treated as originals if you think about it. But basically hearing them say so does make me feel positive about the new Paper Mario game. At the very least we know not to base too much on Paper Jam's decisions now.

Anyway, it's a wonderful interview. I always love to hear Yoko Shimomura talk about her music.

RK128

So it was Alpha Dreams choice to not use Paper Mario original characters, not a mandate from Nintendo? That is amazing to here :D! We all thought that Nintendo started forcing a mandate on original characters in Mario RPG's, so its great to hear that there is no mandate based on this interview.

This is me slightly more hopeful for the rumored Paper Mario game :).

Regarding the rest of the interview, its interesting to hear why they made the story how it was. They wanted everything to be focused, so instead of going nuts with Paper Mario Characters and world, they went with the traditional Mario worlds and made a story within that. A bit disappointing considering the potential that would of had but, at least they had there heart in the right place.

I would have loved Paper Luigi to be in the game :(. They had the four characters idea in Partners in Time, so its odd they didn't want to do that here. But if it meant making the controls more easier, I can understand.

Joqu

Sequels!
Also i feel it looks worst when you mess-up going overboard, then being simple.

Honestly, while the the general consensus on Paper Jam might be a mixed one too I do feel like Dream Team's was worse so I think you're right. It's hard to say though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To be honest, Alpha Dream spent four games making jokey, silly characters mostly predicated on word puns. That's fine and all, and it gave us Fawful.

But it doesn't hurt to reign it in every few games. Especially since it is clear Alpha Dream was listening to several specific criticisms of Dream Team. The one thing they never created was a "traditional" Mushroom Kingdom game focused on Mario and Luigi. Having mostly finished the game, I ended up liking that. Paper Mario being in the party is enough spice to keep it interesting. I can see how some players would find it boring, though.

RK128

To be honest, Alpha Dream spent four games making jokey, silly characters mostly predicated on word puns. That's fine and all, and it gave us Fawful.

But it doesn't hurt to reign it in every few games. Especially since it is clear Alpha Dream was listening to several specific criticisms of Dream Team. The one thing they never created was a "traditional" Mushroom Kingdom game focused on Mario and Luigi. Having mostly finished the game, I ended up liking that. Paper Mario being in the party is enough spice to keep it interesting. I can see how some players would find it boring, though.

You bring up a great point; Paper Jam is the only Mario & Luigi game to only be set within the Mushroom Kingdom and that was fine with me. The series explores all these strange and creative locations, that taking a step back for one game to make a focused experience is good in my book.

Heard mixed things about Paper Jam but I find what I saw of it online to look great. It has the humor of past games, it looks great, Paper Mario is used well regarding gameplay mechanics and overall it looks good to me. Will give it a shot latter this year :).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This game gives the Koopalings dialouge, right?

I haven't played the game yet but that sounds awesome. Plus it also gives Jr. his first decent role in an RPG too.

I still think the idea of "Mario RPG" using the primary cast of characters, and including other regulars like Wario, Daisy, E. Gadd, and Birdo, is a really neat idea that Sticker Star and Paper Jam seemed to try out yet never reached full potential due to various reasons---Sticker Star lacking any character and Paper Jam focusing on including Paper Mario. I think a classic Mario and Luigi that returned to the basics of the original, taking place simply in the Mushroom Kingdom and expanding upon well-known characters and giving them more personality than usual, would be neat.

also

Banned
After hearing the explanation for the simple story and lack of original characters, I'm less worried about the rumored Paper Mario for Wii U but now am a bit concerned about the next M&L game. Just a bit, though. They talk about how hard it was to mesh the two 2 series together so things should be fine now that Paper Mario won't be around anymore.

You bring up a great point; Paper Jam is the only Mario & Luigi game to only be set within the Mushroom Kingdom and that was fine with me. The series explores all these strange and creative locations, that taking a step back for one game to make a focused experience is good in my book.

Heard mixed things about Paper Jam but I find what I saw of it online to look great. It has the humor of past games, it looks great, Paper Mario is used well regarding gameplay mechanics and overall it looks good to me. Will give it a shot latter this year :).

Wait, what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but three of the five Mario & Luigi games have been set in the Mushroom Kingdom:

- Superstar Saga (Beanbean Kingdom)
- Partners in Time (Mushroom Kingdom)
- Bowser's Inside Story (Mushroom Kingdom)
- Dream Team (Pi'illo Island)
- Paper Jam (Mushroom Kingdom)

That's more than half of the series. Not sure where this idea of AlphaDream never having done a "traditional" story set in the Mushroom Kingdom came from, but perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

That said, I don't really have a problem with Paper Jam being set in the Mushroom Kingdom other than this take on it feeling rather uninspired. I love the gameplay and the overall vibe as much as I ever have, but for example, the desert and tropical island/beach areas in Paper Jam are pretty much indistinguishable from those in Dream Team. It would've been nice to at least see the return of some original Paper Mario characters like Goombella or Bow to help offset the familiarity.

Thinking about it, I think I do prefer when the Mario & Luigi games (and the Paper Mario ones) venture outside the Mushroom Kingdom. It kind of adds some intrigue and depth to the Mario universe. Paper Jam is still plenty fun, though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wait, what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but three of the five Mario & Luigi games have been set in the Mushroom Kingdom:

That's more than half of the series. Not sure where this idea of AlphaDream never having done a "traditional" story set in the Mushroom Kingdom came from, but perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

That said, I don't really have a problem with Paper Jam being set in the Mushroom Kingdom other than this take on it feeling rather uninspired. I love the gameplay and the overall vibe as much as I ever have, but for example, the desert and tropical island/beach areas in Paper Jam are pretty much indistinguishable from those in Dream Team. It would've been nice to at least see the return of some original Paper Mario characters like Goombella or Bow to help offset the familiarity.

Thinking about it, I think I do prefer when the Mario & Luigi games (and the Paper Mario ones) venture outside the Mushroom Kingdom. It kind of adds some intrigue and depth to the Mario universe. Paper Jam is still plenty fun, though.
Well, PiT was "past Mushroom Kingdom" and BiS seemed to be like "the boonies of the Mushroom Kingdom," so there is that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I put the qualifier of "traditional" in front of Mushroom Kingdom for Paper Jam. PiT involves space aliens attacking and time travel, and BiS is, of course, about the Mario Bros. being in Bowser much of the time, along with more wacky outsiders screwing with the kingdom.

Paper Jam is pretty much the classic Mario story about the Koopa kingdom causing trouble and the Mario bros trying to get to Bowser. I can also see why Alpha Dream didn't go with their original thought of moving back and forth between the paper world and real world. That re-treads the fundamental design of the last two games. It's nice to have another game like the original Superstar Saga in terms of structure with snappy pacing once more.

RK128

You bring up a good point.....I guess what we mean is that while past M&L games were in the Mushroom Kingdom, it really didn't feel like it. It explored unique locations completely foreign to the 2D Mario platformers and that allows them to feel so unique, that you forget you are playing a Mario game at points.

Paper Jam felt the most blant about it NSMB-style look in terms of the Mushroom Kingdom; Grassland, Forest, Desert, Ice Land, Lava Fortress, ect. It isn't an issue but Paper Jam being so focused on using this style for its locations is logical; allows them to re-use Dream Team assets of similar locations from that game (but tweaking them a bit) and it makes development faster (ex: Majora's Mask used a lot of assets from OoT and was made within a single year).

Kinsei

Banned
This game gives the Koopalings dialouge, right?

I haven't played the game yet but that sounds awesome. Plus it also gives Jr. his first decent role in an RPG too.

I still think the idea of "Mario RPG" using the primary cast of characters, and including other regulars like Wario, Daisy, E. Gadd, and Birdo, is a really neat idea that Sticker Star and Paper Jam seemed to try out yet never reached full potential due to various reasons---Sticker Star lacking any character and Paper Jam focusing on including Paper Mario. I think a classic Mario and Luigi that returned to the basics of the original, taking place simply in the Mushroom Kingdom and expanding upon well-known characters and giving them more personality than usual, would be neat.

Yes it does. The Koopalings are great in Paper Jam.

Berordn

Well, PiT was "past Mushroom Kingdom" and BiS seemed to be like "the boonies of the Mushroom Kingdom," so there is that.

PiT and BiS definitely had very... quirky takes on the Mushroom Kingdom. Paper Jam plays it by number for the first time, so while it's not particularly interesting, it's still somewhat new for the series.

And the way they characterize the mainstays like the Koopalings, Bowser Jr. and Kamek, the former two having never been featured in any meaningful way in Mario & Luigi, they did a pretty good job turning an otherwise unremarkable cast of characters into something actually pretty unique.

SalvaPot

Mario & Luigi is one of my favorite series, I would go as far as too say I like it better than Paper Mario, but a crossover is like a dream come true to me.

The sprite work in this game is nothing short of genius. The little animations and details are so so good.

And look at the art. I really wish we can get a Mario & Luigi for consoles even closer to this art style:

WVW69i1mAmoB-dfpql

WVW69i1mA8Y6_KHOdc

But again, that might sacrifice the sprite work. Hmm, such a tough call.

Josue

Damn this makes me wanna go buy the game. Anyone know about how many hours it takes to beat it?

Oh and hopefully the next rpg they make, they change it up by having Wario & Waluigi as the main characters. Would be soooo goood

Kinsei

Banned
Damn this makes me wanna go buy the game. Anyone know about how many hours it takes to beat it?

Oh and hopefully the next rpg they make, they change it up by having Wario & Waluigi as the main characters. Would be soooo goood

I'm currently 31 hours in and on what I assume is the home stretch. Keep in mind that I've done a lot of side-quests through. I could easily see someone who ignores the side stuff make it there in 25 or so hours.

ZeroX03

Banned
The Mushroom Kingdom turning into paper would have been awesome.

They played it too safe in a lot of places, although I agree that four button combat would've been overkill. Should've kept gyro though.

Bladenic

They need to at least have them as villains. Seriously, what a missed opportunity for Paper Wario and Paper Waluigi to be created for this game and Wario and Waluigi being the villains instead of Bowser again (even if he is amazing.

Yukinari

It would be nice if the next game had the return of the Shroobs much like how Fawful became the star by the time Inside Story came around.

They first appeared in Partners In Time, had a secret battle in Inside Story showing tons of them still exist in the Mushroom Kingdom, and in Dream Team they have a cameo on a poster.

Would be a good excuse for them to set one of the games in space with a Galaxy motif or something.

SalvaPot

I think the next game should definitely feature Wario & Waluigi, they can work similarly to how Rookie and Popple worked in Super Star Saga and it can be similar to Bowser Inside Story in gameplay, as in you control each by chapter.

JazzmanZ

They need to at least have them as villains. Seriously, what a missed opportunity for Paper Wario and Paper Waluigi to be created for this game and Wario and Waluigi being the villains instead of Bowser again (even if he is amazing.

why would they use Paper Wario and Waluigi in a crossover game when they were never in a previous one to begin with???

SalvaPot

why would they use Paper Wario and Waluigi in a crossover game when they were never in a previous one to begin with???

He means as Villains, to make it somewhat different to the classic Bowser as the Big Bad. As in they are introduced in this games along with their paper counterparts.

It doesn't matter how much people request it, Wario and Waluigi will never appear in a Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi game. As awesome as it would be. >.>

SalvaPot

It doesn't matter how much people request it, Wario and Waluigi will never appear in a Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi game. As awesome as it would be. >.>

They will appear only if there is a gameplay element they can take advantage off. Paper Mario happened because they wanted to use 3 buttons instead of 2.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Just finished reading, fantastic article, happy to finally get some info on this game's development. I was really sad knowing we'd never get an Iwata Asks for this, so this is very welcome. Will this be replacing Iwata Asks?

Anyways, some cool info here. As expected, Alphadream hatched the idea of a crossover, so they handled the game. That comment about being scared of Intelligent Systems when utilizing Paper Mario has me wonder if Intelligent Systems supervised the game, or had a little bit of say in the development?

Kind of sad they didn't run wild with the story. I would have loved that, but I'm also fine with what they did, as I don't mind stories in the Mushroom Kingdom in traditional settings. In fact, I may be the only one here who prefers them. Can't wait to see what they did with the Koopalings when I get the game.

Also I have a question for those that have completed the game, this screenshot:
WVW69i1mLVA1mzYZam

Is it in the final game? It looks like the world is half Paper, so if not, is this a prototype image?

RK128

Just finished reading, fantastic article, happy to finally get some info on this game's development. I was really sad knowing we'd never get an Iwata Asks for this, so this is very welcome. Will this be replacing Iwata Asks?

Anyways, some cool info here. As expected, Alphadream hatched the idea of a crossover, so they handled the game. That comment about being scared of Intelligent Systems when utilizing Paper Mario has me wonder if Intelligent Systems supervised the game, or had a little bit of say in the development?

Kind of sad they didn't run wild with the story. I would have loved that, but I'm also fine with what they did, as I don't mind stories in the Mushroom Kingdom in traditional settings. In fact, I may be the only one here who prefers them. Can't wait to see what they did with the Koopalings when I get the game.

WVW69i1mLVA1mzYZam

Is it in the final game? It looks like the world is half Paper, so if not, is this a prototype image?

Don't own the game yet but this happens late in the game I think. Spoilers of course :).

At some point towards completing 2/3rds of the game, the Paper Mario world starts invading the M&L world, leading to the M&L world getting paper elements and graphics as part of the background and level layout. Not sure what causes this (not playing the game yet) but it happens at some point in the game.

Hope this helps :D.

Kinsei

Banned

WVW69i1mLVA1mzYZam

There's some cardboard land that gets spread around the mushroom kingdom. They're essentially just blockades and platforms though. That battle screen happens when you get into a fight on one of the platforms.

Don't own the game yet but this happens late in the game I think. Spoilers of course :).

At some point towards completing 2/3rds of the game, the Paper Mario world starts invading the M&L world, leading to the M&L world getting paper elements and graphics as part of the background and level layout. Not sure what causes this (not playing the game yet) but it happens at some point in the game.

It's actually not a spoiler. You start seeing that stuff really early on.

SirSwirl

Neo Member

Ah, so it is in the final game. Trying to avoid spoilers, so I won't check that, but thank you for the quick response!

Edit:
There's some cardboard land that gets spread around the mushroom kingdom. They're essentially just blockades and platforms though. That battle screen happens when you get into a fight on one of the platforms.

It's actually not a spoiler. You start seeing that stuff really early on.

I see, so it's in the final game, thank you!

jnWake

Cool interview, but I got confused when one of the guys called the 3 button action new considering we've had PiT and BIS already. Oh well...

Either way, for the next game in the franchise I hope they pick a cool character to play along. Wario & Waluigi is a nice idea I've seen here many times, but I also think using Peach with her Parasol and other stuff could be fun too. Maybe even Rosalina and use space motifs.

SalvaPot

WVW69i1mLVA1mzYZam

I am very early on the game, so not real spoilers, but anyway:
The paper characters like to make paper crafts, so they add them to the overworld as the story goes.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Uh, have they forgotten about Partners in Time? That being said,|I feel like it was for the best as I imagine Paper Luigi would have been mute.

PiT was considered a step down for the series, so this means they actually didn't forget but wanted to avoid the mistakes they made there. Some puzzles with the babies and going back and forth between them and the older M&L got annoying so I can see why they avoided repeating the scenario of too many characters unnecessarily in the party.

I really wish they would have gone with one of those ideas.

It would've been nice if they could've sorted it out without throwing out the ideas they had.

I'm not sure why that quote would give you that impression. Even if it weren't from the producer who doesn't work at AlphaDream I doubt they'd say outright if they wanted to add more originality to the character line-up and plot.

Top Bottom