• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just beat the Blood Starved Beast and feel like I just had a religious experience.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And yet it was still your second (at least) attempt since the fog was up. Despite you being overlevelled. Not that much of a joke. ;)

Thing with Paarl/Darkbeast of Loran is that if you manage to constantly stagger him with high enough damage, you can stunlock him to death, and basically never see the full extent of his moves. If your damage is low and you can't consistently stagger him, he can be quite dangerous.

Oh wait until you meet
the Orphan of Kos.

You will miss the BSB.
Hehe. Just beat him with a friend at NG+4. He's brutal.

BSB never gave me trouble, honestly. Stumbling on Father G early in the game (before finding Cleric Beast) without any upgrades or levels was harder, lol. Always get BSB on first try though I admit to some close calls in his last phase.

That video feels like BS. He did one attack the entire fight. Nothing like my experience.
That video is BS. Probably the memory leak bug.
Oh no you didn't xD Watch the uploader get all defensive and post ten long paragraphs about why you're wrong (and how much better he is at the game than you, gotta mention that) even though it's totally true. The strategy does work somewhat though, dodging into the boss and getting behind it works well, but yeah the attack pattern never changes which is an obvious glitch (not an intentional one but it still won't be what most people experience).

And yet it was still your second (at least) attempt since the fog was up. Despite you being overlevelled. Not that much of a joke. ;)

Thing with Paarl/Darkbeast of Loran is that if you manage to constantly stagger him with high enough damage, you can stunlock him to death, and basically never see the full extent of his moves. If your damage is low and you can't consistently stagger him, he can be quite dangerous.

That is true, the first time I was trying too hard and ended up dying. Second time my brother told me just to not stop hitting him, so I did just that and well the video says it all.

2AdEPT

Hehe. Just beat him with a friend at NG+4. He's brutal.

BSB never gave me trouble, honestly. Stumbling on Father G early in the game (before finding Cleric Beast) without any upgrades or levels was harder, lol. Always get BSB on first try though I admit to some close calls in his last phase.

Oh no you didn't xD Watch the uploader get all defensive and post ten long paragraphs about why you're wrong (and how much better he is at the game than you, gotta mention that) even though it's totally true. The strategy does work somewhat though, dodging into the boss and getting behind it works well, but yeah the attack pattern never changes which is an obvious glitch (not an intentional one but it still won't be what most people experience).

Yeah nice try....I never said Im better than others...just YOU! Somebody got stung when she couldn't beat Ancient Dragon in DS2 and I posted how to rape his AI with zero health loss and now she follows me around in spite LOL ;) Also neglected to mention that I supplied Ms. Stark with three other videos where there were no possibility of bugs or anything and the strat works fine. Others in the thread and even you agree the strategy is sound so give it a rest....I don't monetize my channel and just like to help others and this is the abuse I get from an inferiority complex poster.The other videos were with blade of mercy to boot, whereas the axe stun locks BSB people.....and there is LOTS of variability with AI....ENB comments that since there are millions of players each doing multiple playthroughs and multiple attempts of the same boss there are literally billions of versions of each boss fight. He also believes there is no memory leak on BSB, if at all for a majority of users, and he kinda has an inside track knowing the developers personally and all. I never did anything close to what was supposed to cause memory leak with my machine and never experienced it.

2AdEPT

The video is definitely an example of the memory leak bug. Here's another video showing the same simplified attack pattern.

LOL some random youtuber thinks there is a leak so that's proof? I prefer ENB's assessment. I didnt really want to post the indisputable non memory leak version of using this strategy with BSB for fear of spoiling a later game fight for some of the people in this thread but i will post it for Stark and Toxi and others that dont mind being spoiled.

What they appear to be missing is that with many soulsborne bosses, simply staying behind them wrecks their AI and locks them in a loop of repositioning. The fight above was AFTER any and all patches that supposedly "fixed" the memory leak. BUt as you can see it isnt much different and you can see that the blade of mercy does not stun lock her and she goes "wild" more than once implying there was no leak this time, nor any time previous as it was the constant forcing her to reposition that did it to her...just like in the ancient dragon video above..

Toxi

Banned
LOL some random poster thinksI didnt really want to post the indisputable non memory leak version of using this strategy with BSB for fear of spoiling a later game fight for some of the people in this thread but i will post it for Stark and Toxi and others that dont mind being spoiled.

What they appear to be missing is that with many soulsborne bosses, simply staying behind them wrecks their AI and locks them in a loop of repositioning. The fight above was AFTER any and all patches that supposedly "fixed" the memory leak. BUt as you can see it isnt much different and you can see that the blade of mercy does not stun lock her and she goes wild more than once implying there was no leak this time, nor any time previous.
I was not criticizing your strategy; it works fine for beating BSB. I was just saying your first video suffered from the memory bug, which it did.

The video in this post doesn't have the same problem, so thanks for providing it.

LOL some random youtuber thinks there is a leak so that's proof? I prefer ENB's assessment. I didnt really want to post the indisputable non memory leak version of using this strategy with BSB for fear of spoiling a later game fight for some of the people in this thread but i will post it for Stark and Toxi and others that dont mind being spoiled.

What they appear to be missing is that with many soulsborne bosses, simply staying behind them wrecks their AI and locks them in a loop of repositioning. The fight above was AFTER any and all patches that supposedly "fixed" the memory leak. BUt as you can see it isnt much different and you can see that the blade of mercy does not stun lock her and she goes "wild" more than once implying there was no leak this time, nor any time previous as it was the constant forcing her to reposition that did it to her...just like in the ancient dragon video above..

People arnt saying the tactic is wrong. Dodging towards as they attack to get behind them is exactly how to get space to attack in this game against most enemies. You just gotta learn what attacks to do it on. It's the same in souls games pretty much.

We are sying that first fight is bugged. He does one move over and over which makes the tactic super easy to do. Your second video proves it as that one he does his comboes. It's not like BSB has a very varied moveset to begin with to be honest.

BSB was a nasty little critter, I did beat him on my first time, somehow, but it was a close fight.

Skip to 1.20 for the start of the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M98MG9kftM

Trick is to make sure you have lots of Blood Vials and Antidotes (to counter poison) and try and get in a good amount of counters for big damage.

I guess in the bigger picture of Bloodborne, the BSB isn't that hard compared to some bosses, but for an early boss, he's pretty hard.

2AdEPT

Hahaha, right on schedule. And with the obligatory combo of smugness and personal attacks, of course. Never fails. -)

LOL I get a poster following me around and stalking me on my channel and here and Im the one with the personal attacks? Nice try. Who in this thread mentioned " the uploader of this video ...blah blah bah negative comments" I havent flagged anyone in my 8 or so years here but you are really annoying to be sure. When you say stuff like that it wrecks the mood in the thread BTW. Other posters state their opinion that it is a leak video (even though FROM has never agreed there was one that I could find and I am still awaiting a link from any poster where they do) and that is welcome because that is their opinion, and yet they dont come to stalk me again on my channel comments afterward like you do, and then you start in with the "this uploader BS" and its really annoying.

People arnt saying the tactic is wrong. Dodging towards as they attack to get behind them is exactly how to get space to attack in this game against most enemies. You just gotta learn what attacks to do it on. It's the same in souls games pretty much.

We are sying that first fight is bugged. He does one move over and over which makes the tactic super easy to do. Your second video proves it as that one he does his combos. It's not like BSB has a very varied moveset to begin with to be honest.

Look I dont mind you saying it was a bug, but I am inclined to think that that is just how BSB operates especially with the axe (BSB makes an audible grunt when she gets hit hard by the axe and then sits there stunned for a second)...more than several times she was just about to start going nuts but the axe stunned her and she starts the loop again...this didn't happen with the BOM so that is why I think that people might be missing that there are many ways to CAUSE AI to loop and prevent "normal AI" the ancient dragon being a prime example and no one said there was leak there?What about Paarl? No one says this is a leak heavy fight and yet some people stun Paarl with a heavy weapon like the axe and it looks like cake where others dont and get eaten.....why cant BSB be like Paarl? .....and as ENB said out of the billions of iterations of times BSB has showed up on someone's screen there are bound to be outliers and weird things can happen......no memory leak required.Sorry the fights are near the end but its a long video and I have not time to find exactly where he says it.

I can certainly accept that perhaps since he works for FROM with the guides that he is trying to tow the company line...but why? Why would FROM be that embarrassed about a leak when they admit that there were many other problems and they fixed them and said so in the patches? Why not admit there was leak?.....kudos to anyone that can provide me a link because I have searched long and hard and couldn't find one?!?!??! PLease don't send me video comparisons, (as there are billions of iterations out there for each boss and high variability based on factors like weapons and positioning)....what I am looking for is an official statement from FROM...I could easily have missed one...I just like evidence is all.

LOL I get a poster following me around and stalking me on my channel and here and Im the one with the personal attacks? Nice try. Who in this thread mentioned " the uploader of this video ...blah blah bah negative comments" I havent flagged anyone in my 8 or so years here but you are really annoying to be sure. When you say stuff like that it wrecks the mood in the thread BTW. Other posters state their opinion that it is a leak video (even though FROM has never agreed there was one that I could find and I am still awaiting a link from any poster where they do) and that is welcome because that is their opinion, and yet they dont come to stalk me again on my channel comments afterward like you do, and then you start in with the "this uploader BS" and its really annoying.

Look I dont mind you saying it was a bug, but I am inclined to think that that is just how BSB operates especially with the axe (BSB makes an audible grunt when she gets hit hard by the axe and then sits there stunned for a second)...more than several times she was just about to start going nuts but the axe stunned her and she starts the loop again...this didn't happen with the BOM so that is why I think that people might be missing that there are many ways to CAUSE AI to loop and prevent "normal AI" the ancient dragon being a prime example and no one said there was leak there?What about Paarl? No one says this is a leak heavy fight and yet some people stun Paarl with a heavy weapon like the axe and it looks like cake where others dont and get eaten.....why cant BSB be like Paarl? .....and as ENB said out of the billions of iterations of times BSB has showed up on someone's screen there are bound to be outliers and weird things can happen......no memory leak required.Sorry the fights are near the end but its a long video and I have not time to find exactly where he says it.

I can certainly accept that perhaps since he works for FROM with the guides that he is trying to tow the company line...but why? Why would FROM be that embarrassed about a leak when they admit that there were many other problems and they fixed them and said so in the patches? Why not admit there was leak?.....kudos to anyone that can provide me a link because I have searched long and hard and couldn't find one?!?!??! PLease don't send me video comparisons, (as there are billions of iterations out there for each boss and high variability based on factors like weapons and positioning)....what I am looking for is an official statement from FROM...I could easily have missed one...I just like evidence is all.

Well the evidence it existed was the many many people out there testing it and experiencing it for them selves. It's not a myth. It was something that anyone could cause to happen.

Your evidence is that FromSoft never released a statement about it. So your evidence is nothing official stated it existed. Our evidence is we witnesed it with our own eyes and plenty of people tested it was true.

Anyway why are you so defensive about this? It's just a bug that doesn't exist anymore. We all agree that tactic works just that the video doesn't represent how it works in the best light as you only see it against one move. Do you not see the difference in the second video you posted where it isn't bugged? If it was just the AI the. The exact same thing would happen in that second fight but it doesn't.

Either way if you want to deny it existed for what ever reason I guess that's fine but there is a reason people watch it and straight away know something's not right.

myco666

If you look at the patch notes you will see that they fixed a bug which makes bosses immobile in 1.03 patch which was released much later than your or ENBs videos were uploaded. That is also the same patch that fixed the 'memory leak' bug so bosses being immobile probably means that bug. They never stated it was memory leak so there is no confirmation what caused it but your video clearly shows very similar behavior to what the the bug caused.

Also that Paarl comparison isn't that good since you are supposed to be able to make it fall down by hitting the head or legs hard multiple times and it is easy to do that over and over again. BSB shouldn't do that same swipe over and over again and should have some variation to its attacks. Haven't tried that tactic what you use but I just don't believe it would work like that when tried again after the 1.03 patch.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Yes. I took him on first too, and I died 20-30 times, easily. Even now I still feel like I got lucky. I was out of blood vials, bullets, and was pretty much wailing on him in a corner with no health or stamina left.

So you kinda cheesed him? Not a big deal; I've done that with the
Daughter of the Cosmos.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
>Torch description says beasts are afraid of fire

>Old Yharnam beasts cower at the sight of the torch

>Blood Starved Beast wont touch a hunter with a torch

>BSB killed on first try

Jyrii

Banned
BSB was one of the hardest, but also most enjoyable fights in Bloodborne
Here is my success after like 30 tries or something

Besides BSB, the bosses I had most difficulties were
Gehrman
and
Logarius
, who I had to fight with more aggressive style than against any other bosses.

Also
Father Gascoigne
Ebrietas
Moon Presence
and
Rom
I had some difficulties with, but they weren't as hard as the 3.

Rest were quite easy.

BiggNife

I wasn't trying to be mean, I had no other way to say it. I wasn't trying to shit on anyone, I'm saying it looked awful cause it did. And of course I had trouble the first time I played, I couldn't get the mechanics down for shit until the first boss, but by the time I got to BSB I was decent and he gave me no trouble, but whatever.

To be upfront, the first boss and the electronic beast thing gave me trouble, but otherwise I was fine with everyone else, though haven't touched the DLC yet, and about 3/4 of the way through the Chalice.

There are other ways to say it though! You could've said "That was a little sloppy, next time do X and Y and Z" instead of saying "wow you suck." Plenty of other posters here have been giving the OP tips.

And as others have said, everyone's experience in Souls games is different so you can't really use your own experience as a metric. In my case, I beat Cleric Beast on my first try, beat Gascoigne after figuring out counters, and then struggled for hours on BSB. Conversely I have heard other people say BSB was a cakewalk and Vicar Amelia was a nightmare, but I had almost no issues with Amelia whatsoever.

Toxi

Banned
BSB shouldn't do that same swipe over and over again and should have some variation to its attacks. Haven't tried that tactic what you use but I just don't believe it would work like that when tried again after the 1.03 patch.
Even with the beast's full moveset, the tactic works very well for avoiding damage and is generally how I fight the boss. I think it works better to dodge to the beast's right (Your left) instead of the beast's left (Your right).

myco666

Even with the beast's full moveset, the tactic works very well for avoiding damage and is generally how I fight the boss. I think it works better to dodge to the beast's right (Your left) instead of the beast's left (Your right).

I meant it more as that using that tactic won't make BSB use that move over and over again. Definitely believe it works well otherwise.

This boss took me 3 tries. Eventually I beat him just dodging attacks and getting a few shots in... then back to dodging. I wasted almost all 20 bullets on him and never once stunned him. I stuck at finding the stun window in this game.... ugh.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's interesting how much it varies from person to person on which Bloodborne bosses give them trouble.

BB was my first "souls" game, and I struggled mightly getting past the bonfire mob, beating the Cleric Beast and Father G, but had no problems with BSB or Vicar Amelia. For BSB I think I just lucky with not getting poisoned, and just rolled around and wailed on it with the saw cleaver with fire paper.

Now some of the BSB variants in the chalice dungeons were fucking brutal though!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LOL I get a poster following me around and stalking me on my channel [...] they dont come to stalk me again on my channel [...]
What.... Stalking?

Because I posted one comment on your video months ago pointing out the glitched AI? That's "stalking"?

Holy shit, talk about delusional. Get over yourself, you crazy person.

2Adept and Morrigan, I'm going to smack both your bottoms if you don't play nice.
Yes mommy...

Rocket786

Welp... This thread just made me decide to sell Witcher 3 and buy The Old Hunters and decide to replay Bloodborne. Witcher 3 was just feeling like a chore and I really wasn't enjoying the combat. I remember being completely hooked while playing Bloodborne and that hadn't happened in years.

I just want a game where I can go play and not have to worry about a million different menu systems. Now Bloodborne has it's share as well, but they don't seem nearly as complicated as Witcher. Maybe I just really enjoy the Bloodborne gameplay and I'm giving a pass to the menu systems, but man is that gameplay good...

Currently playing Ori and the Blind Forest and it's fantastic, but Bloodborne Old Hunters is next. Thanks for posting OP!

Mman235

I just made my own demonstration of how BSB is beaten with up & right dodging even when it's AI isn't screwed up. I also made myself intentionally super underpowered by using an unupgraded weapon I wasn't built for. The end got a little awkward because I underestimated how bad my poison res was, but that's not an issue if you put on better armour for it (plus the fight would normally take a fraction of this time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS4meLILQm8

Up & left works but I find it a little more unreliable. Technically you can just walk, but there's a couple of attacks that still hit you if you do that.

Edit: Oh a non-bugged version was already posted, but I made this anyway so...

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
It's interesting how build and playstyle will affect your perceptions of every boss and how you rank them in terms of difficulty compared to other players. I had some trouble with BSB as well and called Alfred in for an assist to get it done - however I got most other bosses in the main game done solo in fewer than 5 attempts. I've read from people who made Rom sound the hardest thing ever yet I beat him first time without breaking a sweat.

Don't let any of them intimidate you, they all go down eventually, just feel them out and figure out what works for you. The Old Hunters is a bit of a different story. Ludwig is really difficult but Laurence is the only boss that had me feeling like I was just banging my head against the wall.

It's interesting how build and playstyle will affect your perceptions of every boss and how you rank them in terms of difficulty compared to other players. I had some trouble with BSB as well and called Alfred in for an assist to get it done - however I got most other bosses in the main game done solo in fewer than 5 attempts. I've read from people who made Rom sound the hardest thing ever yet I beat him first time without breaking a sweat.

Don't let any of them intimidate you, they all go down eventually, just feel them out and figure out what works for you. The Old Hunters is a bit of a different story. Ludwig is really difficult but Laurence is the only boss that had me feeling like I was just banging my head against the wall.

Threaded cane reduces all bosses to easy mode

Like holy shit this playthrough im on....

Ducktail

Coming off from Dark Souls 2, I can confidently say I much prefer Bloodborne. The atmosphere is freaking superb.

I think Blood Starved Beast was the boss I died the most, for sure. That was until I got stuck at
Lawrence, the bitchy firey ass
. I'm still stuck... I just can't kill him. It's impossible, and I can't find anyone to help me with him.

Orphan, on the other hand, I killed on my very first attempt. It was really easy. I guess playstyles really make a difference in this game. I know a lot of people complain about him.

2AdEPT

Coming off from Dark Souls 2, I can confidently say I much prefer Bloodborne. The atmosphere is freaking superb.

I think Blood Starved Beast was the boss I died the most, for sure. That was until I got stuck at
Lawrence, the bitchy firey ass
. I'm still stuck... I just can't kill him. It's impossible, and I can't find anyone to help me with him.

Orphan, on the other hand, I killed on my very first attempt. It was really easy. I guess playstyles really make a difference in this game. I know a lot of people complain about him.

Are you on NG+? Laurence wasn't as bad for me as Ludwig on NG. Admittedly I had an OP bloodtinge build, which purposely has extra health for the Chikage drain, but the strat I used could easily serve a SL4 toon if practiced...just learn the attacks and be patient is the easy answer, but perhaps more helpful would be to a.) wear the ash set...or other fire resist gear...it really helps, b.) keep your distance, I.e. don't stand in and take hits like I did at the start of this video, and also at the start in his second form. This vid shows how not to do the second form mostly as I had never seen it, it was literally my third try and first at his second form. By the end you can see I c.) bait the puke attack and get a couple hits in, retreat to the far end of the hall, rinse and repeat. In general, d.) most bosses die if you find a way to get behind them, Laurence is no different.

https://youtu.be/e4TcpmkKRjU

I just made my own demonstration of how BSB is beaten with up & right dodging even when it's AI isn't screwed up. I also made myself intentionally super underpowered by using an unupgraded weapon I wasn't built for. The end got a little awkward because I underestimated how bad my poison res was, but that's not an issue if you put on better armour for it (plus the fight would normally take a fraction of this time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS4meLILQm8

Up & left works but I find it a little more unreliable. Technically you can just walk, but there's a couple of attacks that still hit you if you do that.

Edit: Oh a non-bugged version was already posted, but I made this anyway so...
There's no bugged version in this thread at all.I am not defensive as much as I simply like this game and the minor details of the AI is one of my favourite topics. This video proves to me that my earlier one is legit...try using the axe people...upgraded to plus 4 or whatever it was doing over 100 per hit often 3-400 per combo, this video was 40 per hit and 150 per combo. This video shows the exact same BSB minus the stun lock of the axe, and even with the low damage this guy stuns BSB and prevents a tantrum as well at least once. It was so much easier with an upgraded axe...especially when the spin to win hit for 380 damage and an immediate stun. This strat was identical and the whole first half was IDENTICAL to my own...the second half I got lucky AI and stunned with the axe more than this video shows, as I was able to finish her WAY faster, which is only 3-4 tantrums different regardless . All my points stand. Paarl is a good example, as BSB gives her version of a grunt when she gets stunned and her armour broken, which is just a different variation of what Paarl does when his armour is broken, just more dramatic in his case. The same repetition of BSB's moves obviously were triggered in this agreed to be non-leak version...Oh yeah, um no, fixing bosses that freeze is not the same as get locked in random AI loops.....also ENB knew of the leak comments, as did I the first weekend after release, that's when people started talking about it....a few days into release....you guys are silly sometimes! Random AI loops are part of this game and all souls games previous....the souls vets here should know this ;) Thanks for your video OP.

The fun thing about Bloodborne is that certain bosses will be hell against certain play styles. Someone might really struggle against BSB,

personally, I was so bad against Logarius, at least until I later got better at Viscerals.
Amelia is hard with her healing if you don't know how to deal with it, and Ludwig is just so rabid he's hard to deal with.

And I've still yet to beat the Orphan. I literally had to roll a new character and replay the game just to train myself.

myco666

There's no bugged version in this thread at all.I am not defensive as much as I simply like this game and the minor details of the AI is one of my favourite topics. This video proves to me that my earlier one is legit...try using the axe people...upgraded to plus 4 or whatever it was doing over 100 per hit often 3-400 per combo, this video was 40 per hit and 150 per combo. This video shows the exact same BSB minus the stun lock of the axe, and even with the low damage this guy stuns BSB and prevents a tantrum as well at least once. It was so much easier with an upgraded axe...especially when the spin to win hit for 380 damage and an immediate stun. This strat was identical and the whole first half was IDENTICAL to my own...the second half I got lucky AI and stunned with the axe more than this video shows, as I was able to finish her WAY faster, which is only 3-4 tantrums different regardless . All my points stand. Paarl is a good example, as BSB gives her version of a grunt when she gets stunned and her armour broken, which is just a different variation of what Paarl does when his armour is broken, just more dramatic in his case. The same repetition of BSB's moves obviously were triggered in this agreed to be non-leak version...Oh yeah, um no, fixing bosses that freeze is not the same as get locked in random AI loops.....also ENB knew of the leak comments, as did I the first weekend after release, that's when people started talking about it....a few days into release....you guys are silly sometimes! Random AI loops are part of this game and all souls games previous....the souls vets here should know this ;) Thanks for your video OP.

PSN EU Blog update 14th April

The patch also resolves an issue that resulted in abnormal game behavior after many continuous hours of play.

How much more evidence/confirmation you need that there was a bug that results bosses behave wrong? And as I said the bug that caused bosses behave wrong was fixed with the patch that has notes saying "bosses become immobile". I know that boss being immobile is different than having different behavior but what I am saying is that patch fixed the weird behavior.

The video what you are quoting doesn't prove your video wasn't bugged at all but it proves that your fight was indeed bugged. I just tried BSB again with new build with +3 Axe that does +100 damage per strike and always dodged right. It looked exactly like the video you quoted and nothing like your video. I can try it again and upload a video if you want.

These games are all about trying to control the AI and bait them to do same stuff over and over again sure but it never should work so that boss does the exact same attack for 3 minutes. You can't even make enemies with even less move variation to do that.

Top Bottom