• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai's Famitsu Column: Bayonetta, Corrin, Development Ended

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The last two DLC fighters for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, Corrin and Bayonetta, are now available. At long last, the development on Smash for has ended!! To all of the staff who were involved in this project, thank you for all your hard work. To all who supported and followed the game and its development, thank you so very much. Personally, I’m happy I can finally take an extended vacation.

The fighters themselves become the sources of new excitement. That’s why the new fighters can do things the others cannot, to bring to life a number of battles that did not previously exist. Smash is much more extravagant in its design than other fighting games, development is difficult, and I have to deal with oversight from the original creators, but I have to do my best.

Here's full article.

I’ve said this before, but excluding Lucas and Roy, who are returning veterans, every DLC character has unique mechanics and playstyles.

Not even the first time Sakurai forgot about Mewtwo.

As a result, the mindset I had when developing this game was that the game’s “rules” are set in stone, but the fighters themselves are very flexible and allow for new, exciting elements. The fighters themselves become the sources of new excitement. That’s why the new fighters can do things the others cannot, to bring to life a number of battles that did not previously exist. Smash is much more extravagant in its design than other fighting games, development is difficult, and I have to deal with oversight from the original creators, but I have to do my best.

I like this.

Enforced

Thank you for everything, Sakurai. Have a nice vacation. I'm looking forward to your next project in the future.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thank God he said vacation.

Yep, that could meant Smash 4 NX rumor might be false or just direct port that Sakurai have nothing to do with. Who knows.

I'm glad that Sakurai finally got his vacation that he wanted for long time! We know he really need it.

Extended vacation, huh?

I'm assuming that means no major new content for the NX port, or that if there is any, it's being handled by not-sakurai.

Exile20

No more patches. People just got to deal that Corrin and Bayo are top tier.

Just stop, many top players already said they are not top tier even stating Bay is top 15.

They are just new.

Until we see Bay and Corrin consistently winning tournaments we can't say that.

Not even the first time Sakurai forgot about Mewtwo.

Sakurai is oddly consistent with not saying Mewtwo is a vet. This isn't the first time he's only mentioned Lucas and Roy as vets.

It's weird because Mewtwo is clearly a vet, and nobody really minds or cares that he's a vet and not a new comer.

Kathian

Banned
Extended vacation, huh?

I'm assuming that means no major new content for the NX port, or that if there is any, it's being handled by not-sakurai.

IF there is a port it'll come post-launch and additional content is not going to be difficult to add.

so bayonetta and corrin are staying the way they are? and samus is staying gutter trash?

word, I guess i've had my fill of this game then. I'm not gonna sit here and play Bayonetta Bros. For Wii U for the next couple of years, fuck that. So thanks for the good times Sak & co, and may you one day come to grasp the notion of balance.

Revven

Extended vacation, huh?

This was obvious. I don't know why anyone thought a NX port would add anything new beyond possibly integrating 3DS content not in the Wii U version.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Solid work, Sak. And now that you've gone ahead and completed SSB4 with this mindset, please make SSB5 with radically new features, gauges, and in 3D.

I am not joking.

Kind of a crazy thought: Smash 4 basically lasted nearly half a decade. It was first announced in mid 2011 and then completely finished in early 2016.

Kouichi

Enjoy your vacation, Sakurai. You certainly deserve and need it!

If Sakurai doesn't direct the next game, I'd love for the new team to starting changing up the design in a way Sakurai never did. I understand and agree with his decision to keep the core design the same, but after four games, a new take on Smash would be very cool.

marmoka

Banned
Thanks for the game Sakurai!! Happy vacation!!

Bayo is my favorite character right now. It was worth buying her.

Rafavert

Go rest, you beautiful, beautiful man
with questionable taste in shirts

This could just mean the rumoured NX Smash is a direct port with little changes. Might also be a way for someone new to try their hands at Smash before creating a brand new Smash.

Either way, looking forward to whatever our favourite troll decides to work on next.

Fixed. Bayo and Corrin are balanced and in no way OP.

I think it's a lot easier to make a case for Bayonetta and Corrin having disruptive and incredibly powerful properties to many of their moves than it is to make a case for them being balanced, to be frank. at any rate, one of those arguments is evident right off the bat whereas the other can't even be determined this early in the game. They just don't feel even close to balanced, to me, though. Although I've had a lot of success fending off bayo players with dedede.

Neoxon

Enjoy your vacation, Sakurai. Thanks for everything!

Looks like Smash NX will probably be just Smash 4: Complete Edition if it happens.

It's weird you guys are reading this to mean the potential NX point will lack content when

The fighters themselves become the sources of new excitement. That’s why the new fighters can do things the others cannot, to bring to life a number of battles that did not previously exist.

Made me think the dead opposite, that the port would contain new characters because that's the feature people most look forward to and sell the game.

fernoca

And even more impressive that they made 2 versions that while the core of the game was the same, they ran on completely different hardware and had to make sure it not only looked but performed great on both.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks like Smash NX will probably be just Smash 4: Complete Edition if it happens.
They just now finished working on the 3DS and WiiU version, a NX version for launch was never going to be more than a port/complete edition.

Top Bottom