• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth has shipped 5 million units

studyguy

It was a solid game.
I'm not like the biggest South Park fan, but the game was fun and the comedic writing was sharp. Well deserved I say.

Not really a fan of the source material, and I thought some of the jokes fell flat, but it was a really solid game and was able to keep my interest until the end. I'm less excited about the sequel given that it's not being developed by Obsidian, but I'll give it a look.

I really hope so. I'm already quite worried about Obsidian not being involved.

It's backwards compatible on Xbox One if that's of any use to you?

As far as I know Stone and Parker were in charge of writing in The Stick of Truth. I don't expect much to change honestly.

studyguy

This one is being made by Ubi's San Diego studio, IIRC.

I don't feel Obsidian is necessarily the key to success, but Trey and Matt's involvement certainly would be.

Not nearly as interested if it isn't an RPG either though.
Have they announced what it is?

liquidtmd

Banned
Not really a fan of the source material, and I thought some of the jokes fell flat, but it was a really solid game and was able to keep my interest until the end. I'm less excited about the sequel given that it's not being developed by Obsidian, but I'll give it a look.

Legit question I'm curious: If you're not a fan of the source material, what element drew you in?

Seems the kinda title being a fan of the source material would be far more important than usual

Kyzer

Banned
Hopefully companies take note and see that a properly developed and funded licensed property game can be worth the investment

Well deserved sales. In addition to being a great South Park game it's a great game all around. I should do another playthrough some day.

Acosta

This one is being made by Ubi's San Diego studio, IIRC.

I don't feel Obsidian is necessarily the key to success, but Trey and Matt's involvement certainly would be.

You are not giving Obsidian credit enough. They were the ones who pitched the idea to Trey and Matt in first place, they made an engine and put a big effort in creating something alike the show that could convince them (which was not easy as they were burnt out from past South Park videogames project). The Stick of Truth wouldn't exist without them.

I hope Ubi has treated Obsidian fairly with royalties, bonus and so, but I kinda doubt it, Obsidian always gets screwed, one way or another.

KHlover

Banned
It was the sequel Paper Mario TTYD deserved but never got. Great game. Hope they don't mess up the German release again though.

Ridley327

You are not giving Obsidian credit enough. They were the ones who pitched the idea to Trey and Matt in first place, they made an engine and put a big effort in creating something alike the show that could convince them (which was not easy as they were burnt out from past South Park videogames project). The Stick of Truth wouldn't exist without them.

I hope Ubi has treated Obsidian fairly with royalties, bonus and so, but I kinda doubt it, Obsidian always gets screwed, one way or another.
It's more of a groundwork thing than anything. Obsidian did great work, no doubt, but the foundation is so solid that the concept really doesn't need them around.

You guys gotta let the remaster go. It isn't happening. They only said this to give holders a point of comparison to how well FbW could sell. They're not paying Obsidian to port SoT. It makes way way more sense financially to just make a new game from an internal studio.

Sasie

From what I read though Stick of Truth use a heavily modified version of Onyx engine. Considering Obsidian owns the engine at least I can't see Ubisoft just taking over and using the same thing for the sequel. I can't imagine they would be allowed to use same engine without paying royalties at the very least.

Nice numbers, I kinda enjoyed it. But I feel like I'm one of very few that didn't think it was all that. I expected more from Obsidian in terms of the RPG aspect of it, so I'm not sure it's that much of a big loss that they aren't involved in the sequel.

Pretty sure that's wrong(partially). Last I remember reading it Matt and Trey scouted out Obsidian as one of their best choices to make an actually good South Park game/Rpg, as they were fans of their work. After they made contact, Obsidian put together a concept demo and M&T were impressed so they signed them up.

BTW I just looked it up. I'm right.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Not bad for a game that was stuck in development hell for so long.

(Though I guess it was technically publishing hell.)

Shocked that it sold that much to be honest, extremely well deserved. I'd heard a lot about stick of truth on places like giantbomb about how crazy the game is, so I tried to temper my expectations thinking it couldn't be too wild.

Granted I haven't watched the show in five years so maybe it was just the novelty but the final hour of that game is just pure insanity...the things you do...the thing (s) you see, I cannot believe it made it into a game.

One of the boldest, brashest games I've played in years. I really hope they don't water down the humour this time round. The fact that the core of the game was like, a really decent approximation of the old Paper Mario games makes Stick of Truth all the more hilarious, it's a great lite RPG on top of the crazy humour.

Top Bottom