• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Interview with Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo (Trails, Ys, Xanadu, PC)

Quite a long article about Falcom's past, present and future together with what Eurogamer calls "Falcom's biggest ever interview"

Some relevant quotes, but I recommend reading the whole thing

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-14-falcom-vs-the-fans

Is there a possibility of seeing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I & II appear on PC eventually, perhaps on Steam?

TK: I would like as many people as possible to play these games, so the possibility is definitely there.

The second chapter of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky took nine years to be localised. Will Trails in the Sky: The 3rd and the aforementioned Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki (The Legend of Heroes VII) receive the same treatment, and if so do you think we can look forward to a faster localisation time?

TK: Each title in the Trails series contains a very large volume of text, so it's very common that the release takes time to localise. Every time we tell our partners how much text is in the game, they are surprised. I'm sorry to have to keep you all waiting due to these reasons. We'll do our best to make sure the titles get to you in a timely manner.

Nayuta no Kiseki (Trails of Nayuta) was only released in Japan and only on the PlayStation Portable. Is there any consideration for an enhanced port to current platforms, PC, PS4 and/or PS Vita?

TK: Falcom is a company with few people and our hands are full with new titles at the moment, but if there were a company willing to help out with the porting, it would be something I would like to make a reality. For "Nayuta" specifically, every chance we get, we reach out to those in the industry who could become potential partners.

Has any third party shown an interest in bringing Tokyo Xanadu to the west?

TK: This I something that we definitely want to make a reality and are currently working towards. Please wait just a bit longer.

During the Windows XP era the PC was your primary development platform. With the success of Steam as a platform for selling niche titles, and especially with the success of XSEED's localisations, have you considered moving back to the PC as a primary platform? And if not, why not?

TK: I feel that, within Japan, there are many core gamers who want to play on consoles and we must respond to their needs. However, revenue on Steam is very good and putting not only older console titles, but new ones as well is something that we want to consider.

Famassu

A link would be nice. :)

Lots of optimism in that interview. Here's hoping for only 3,5 years between TitS Second Chapter and The 3rd, instead of 4,5!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The longest and least useful Falcom article ever? "Yes' we'll consider that. Yes, this is good and we may work toward it. Yes, it would be good if we could do this."

Every single thing is a non answer.

Rymuth

Lot of non-committal answers but overall, a very nice interview. He comes across as a very passionate and sincere person.

Gu4n

Come on other publishers bring Zero, Ao, nayuta and 3rd to us! Falcom wants to work with you!
Personally, I wouldn't want a publisher that isn't XSEED to touch the series - not even Nayuta.
The longest and least useful Falcom article ever? "Yes' we'll consider that. Yes, this is good and we may work toward it. Yes, it would be good if we could do this."

Every single thing is a non answer.
That's Toshihiro Kondo for you. :)

Personally, I wouldn't want a publisher that isn't XSEED to touch the series - not even Nayuta.
Yeah at this point it would be idiotic to do that. XSEED knows the series and has very passionate people working on it, I don't think another publisher could do it justice.

Shenmue

Banned

That's Toshihiro Kondo for you. :)

Yeah definitely prefer XSEED but they are only so many people deep. In the end I'd rather get old games like Nayuta localized in some manner than not at all. Xseed would continue working on all the newer mainline titles.

That Nayuta question was a bit weird, in the sense that it's literally the last Kiseki game I'd be asking for, and I'd be annoyed if resources were spent to port and localize it, instead of more worthwhile games.

That Nayuta question was a bit weird, in the sense that it's literally the last Kiseki game I'd be asking for, and I'd be annoyed if resources were spent to port and localize it, instead of more worthwhile games.
Well all the other Kiseki games have gotten (multiple) ports to more recent platforms in Japan already

duckroll

Ys 5 is the last of the original series yet to receive a modern remake. Do you intend to get around to this at some point?

TK: There's really nothing I can say at this point, but, personally, I have some ideas about this. This title had blacksmithing as a theme and I would like to find a way to work that properly into the gameplay.

NO. FUCK NO. Crafting in modern Ys has been timewasting garbage and Falcom clearly doesn't know how to make the system fun. I don't want more. STOP THE PAIN.

I really think Cold Steel will make its way to PC, from the sound of that interview. Glad the Falcom prez is happy with sales on Steam.

Nice information! I like that Falcom is trying to explore possibilities of localizing the rest of the Kiseki series too. Hopefully XSEED can pick up on TX soon.

TK: Recently, we have seen many requests for the Japanese voice track to be included. There are many issues to consider in order to make this a reality, but if the demand is really that strong, it is definitely something that we want to consider.
Gotta make this a reality!

Agreed!

Tizoc

NO. FUCK NO. Crafting in modern Ys has been timewasting garbage and Falcom clearly doesn't know how to make the system fun. I don't want more. STOP THE PAIN.
Didnt feel like timewasting seven
I seem to always end up with enough items to craft my next armor or weapon and indont remember grinding a lot for them
Didnt even bother with the ultimate weapons tho :p

Good interview, not at all the best yet there's some gold in here. I'm excited to hear Kondo personally wants to remake Sorcerian and knows his team members want to resurrect Falcom's "dark" games, i.e. doing a sequel to Xanadu Next. No idea why Massey thinks Lord Monarch's ever getting a sequel after Falcom pumped way too many shovelware titles in that series back during the Windows era.

IIRC "blacksmithing" refers to Ys V's alchemy system, which actually has to do with magic, not equipment/item crafting. At least I think EG misinterpreted his statement here. Figuring out how that game's magic system could work properly is one of the big hurdles before making the Ys V do-over a reality.

I really enjoyed that. I didn't even know that he created a fansite and is now president of the company!

Glad to see Tokyo Xanadu all-but-confirmed for the west too.

That said, I do feel the interviewer spent a bit too asking about getting games on PC.

Thud

The sense of direction is clearly vague, but either way interest in old and new titles are still there.

Anyway fun to read.

I really enjoyed that. I didn't even know that he created a fansite and is now president of the company!

Glad to see Tokyo Xanadu all-but-confirmed for the west too.

That said, I do feel the interviewer spent a bit too asking about getting games on PC.

Yea same! that was interesting. Cannot wait for TX. XSEED HURRY PLEASE.

Yea I agree. Seemed like it. re. PC

If only PC gaming was more popular in Japan.
What we need to somehow communicate to Falcom is that, under the right conditions and proper marketing, they can release and even develop new games for Western PC digital players who have many of the same interests and whimsies as classic Japanese PC owners/gamers. The J-PC climate of old is gone, maybe forever, so we're the next best thing and are more likely, going by demographic, to appreciate Falcom's older catalog from back when they were developing straightforward fantasy adventures and wagames. I think something like Tokyo Xanadu's going to do well outside East Asia, but Xanadu Next could sell and appeal even more.

Falcom and/or XSEED should actively contract port teams in order to get the company's recent console games ready for PC, something the latter's open to considering they're bringing Little King's Story over here.

Shizuka

That interview was really awkward to read, knowing that it's coming from the president of the company. Lots on non-answers, which makes interviews mostly useless, and "someone wants to help me?" requests that which makes things weird, since this is the president of a 35-years old japanese developer.

Vamphuntr

Bring me Ao and Zero. Bonus for Cold Steel PC since the console version run so poorly. I'm glad they are realizing steam could be a good market for them. Their main problem is probably finding someone to do the ports.

That interview was really awkward to read, knowing that it's coming from the president of the company. Lots on non-answers, which makes interviews mostly useless, and "someone wants to help me?" requests that which makes things weird, since this is the president of a 35-years old japanese developer.

President of a 50-person company.

Hikami

Woah nice, would totally buy Trails of Cold Steel again if it came to PC. Well, if it meant that the game wouldn't have the fps drops the console versions have. Could get some friends to actually play it too so I hope that happens.

Nice to see that bit about Tokyo Xanadu as well, really hoping for that to come over.

Nuu

Banned
This interview was perfect. Asked every question I wanted to know about Falcom.

I really hope they begin making their games with handheld and console in mind to begin with so we get multi-plat releases from the get go.

wrowa

I take a worse localization over no localization any day. I'd love if XSEED decided to localize the Crossbell games, but if they don't deem it possible and another company is interested, then I'm not in a situation to be picky.

Eusis

Just bring in what Ys VI and OiF had and call it a day really.

I really hope they can do the same as the likes of Spike Chunsoft and find a good (likely western) studio that can do straight-ish ports of their more recent stuff. Stuff like the Evolution series is too bogged down with licensing while those Chinese PC ports sound pretty dodgy.

Psxphile

IIRC "blacksmithing" refers to Ys V's alchemy system, which actually has to do with magic, not equipment/item crafting. At least I think EG misinterpreted his statement here. Figuring out that game's magic system could work properly is one of the big hurdles before making the Ys V do-over a reality.

Yeah that seemed mistranslated, as I don't recall any "smithing" happening in the game. The game's theme was all about alchemy and collecting "ingredients" to make a variety of spells. But it's easy to see how they can expand that into a loot-and-craft system.

But, you know, they can still include equipment crafting in the remake because why not.

SarusGray

Quite a long article about Falcom's past, present and future together with what Eurogamer calls "Falcom's biggest ever interview"

Some relevant quotes, but I recommend reading the whole thing

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-14-falcom-vs-the-fans

PC, PC, PC.

I wanted more information on trails of cold steel lll and the evo games having a chance to come here <,<

Because Adol has a habit of ignoring almost every female advance during the entirety of Ys - and that's a lot of advances - you must be aware of the enduring fanbase rumour that he is either asexual or homosexual. Would you be so kind as to finally set the record straight on his orientation?

TK: This is actually a topic that comes up often among the staff. One point that always gets raised is that Feena, the heroine of Ys 1, is most likely very important to Adol. It's not known whether or not Adol will have a chance to meet her again, but Adol definitely still cherishes her memory, and thus he doesn't really go for other girls' advances - is the general understanding. Adol's story is that of a wanderer and it's a given that he will have to part with the heroine at the end of the tale, so perhaps he feels it would be irresponsible to start anything with any of the girls. Furthermore, Adol is also an avatar of the player and each player holds different feelings towards the various heroines. Rather than make explicit what Adol is feeling, we would rather leave that to the player and let them enjoy their own interpretations.
oh snappp gay adol cosplay timeee

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I take a worse localization over no localization any day. I'd love if XSEED decided to localize the Crossbell games, but if they don't deem it possible and another company is interested, then I'm not in a situation to be picky.

Depends on how it's handled. I don't know that I'd want to see another company pick them up and "redo" everything themselves. If someone is going to do it cheaper and faster than XSEED [SC jokes here] they probably aren't going to put the effort into ensuring that the localization matches up with XSEED's efforts.

PC, PC, PC.

I wanted more information on trails of cold steel lll and the evo games having a chance to come here <,<

It's been implied that the Evo games have no chance of getting released here due to the licensing hurdles.

OVDRobo

Seems like a level-headed and reasonable response is given to most questions. Doesn't make for the most exciting article, but it seems that things are going decently for Falcom, which is great since they make fantastic games and are forward-thinking compared to a lot of Japanese devs when it comes to international releases and the PC market.

It's been implied that the Evo games have no chance of getting released here due to the licensing hurdles.

I'm sure it would be a different thing if the Evo games got a port by some company and talks could actually amount to something that could lead to money being made. But with how it is right now, wanting to do a localization for any of the Evo titles would amount to "hey Vita is barely kicking over here, let's get a single title out in 2017 and drop future Evo localizations like a rock because they wouldn't be out till 2018 and Vita will be too far dead by then". Because let's face it, we'd only see a single Vita Evo title over here within a meaningful timeframe where money could potentially be made, which would then lead to people getting salty over the fact that we aren't getting anymore on a system that is no longer making the company money.

Even with that said, it's not like anyone is going to come forward with those potential PC ports, when the games would likely bomb harder on PC in Japan than what SC is currently pulling over here.

Tokyo Xanadu getting a western release would be great. I'd be all over that.

I read this earlier but I like these sort of interviews getting an insight into the company.

SarusGray

I'm sure it would be a different thing if the Evo games got a port by some company and talks could actually amount to something that could lead to money being made. But with how it is right now, wanting to do a localization for any of the Evo titles would amount to "hey Vita is barely kicking over here, let's get a single title out in 2017 and drop future Evo localizations like a rock because they wouldn't be out till 2018 and Vita will be too far dead by then". Because let's face it, we'd only see a single Vita Evo title over here within a meaningful timeframe where money could potentially be made, which would then lead to people getting salty over the fact that we aren't getting anymore on a system that is no longer making the company money.

Even with that said, it's not like anyone is going to come forward with those potential PC ports, when the games would likely bomb harder on PC in Japan than what SC is currently pulling over here.

I thought they'd just port it to PS4/PC/Vita. I'm looking forward to seeing those Digimon Cyber Sleuth Vita sales though...

Top Bottom