• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pascal (GP100) might be 12 TF chip.

Courtesy of Guru3d and probably elsewhere. This is just where I read it first.

Slides from "The Future of HPC and The Path to Exascale" shows a roadmap with a DP GFLOPS/W value for Pascal. The presentation's date is between the GTC 2013 roadmap which does not contain Pascal and the GTC 2014 roadmap which does contain Pascal. But thus this presentation is dated (2015) and likely estimated, we do have to say that.

Single-precision then, it would be as high as 12 TFLOP/s. That is four times that a GK110, and roughly double a GM200 (6.4 TFLOPS for the 980 Ti). The slide does reveal one other thing, the GP100 is inidicated to use stacked HBM2 memory as the memory bandwidth is set at 1 TB/s.

4K/60 here we come. Maybe.

Hasney

Neat, but that "full fat" version of the chip won't be in use at first. Gotta wait for a Titan or 1080 ti or something to come along.

That said, if 1070 or whatever has a similar performance gain over its 970 counterpart, I might just be down for that.

Double the speed of a 980Ti? Double the price then.

I'd figure that a Titan version will appear wayyyy before a 1080 TI. So yeah, would be double the price... For a little while.

JordanKZ

Damn. Pascal and Polaris promise to be mind blowing.

Chance of disappointment: high. I seriously believe the days of huge gains per generation are a thing of the past, particularly from nvidia. And I'm speaking as someone who's owned nvidia GPU's for a number of years.

Double the speed of a 980Ti? Double the price then.

Yea, this is my concern.

Technically, it SHOULDN'T be, but they absolutely will jack it up because enthusiasts/1st adopters will eat it up without question.

The GOOD news is that the 980s will drop in price and become more mainstream.

mnannola

Yea, this is my concern.

Technically, it SHOULDN'T be, but they absolutely will jack it up because enthusiasts/1st adopters will eat it up without question.

Will they drop in price though? The freaking 970 is 18 months old and barely has dropped in price. I'm not sure the 980's will see a big drop until something else releases in it's price range, which I don't think this chip will be in for a while.

Marlenus

Yea, this is my concern.

Chances are big Pascal will debut in the HPC sector before coming to the consumer market, and even then it is likely to release as a Titan card instead of a 1080Ti first. Unless AMD knock it out of the park with Polaris ofc which forces NVs hand.

OTOH with a new node and a new memory setup part of me thinks big Pascal might slip to next year with GP104 being their flagship this year.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'll believe it when I physically see it. We've heard rumors like these so many times with past cards.

mp1990

Banned
As someone who was planning on upgrading my PC in a few months and getting a 980ti... I don't know what to do anymore. Should I wait for this one to release?

I'll be hanging onto my 980Ti until a card comes out that's 2x as fast that I can get for the same price I bought my Ti for ($650).

Damn. Pascal and Polaris promise to be mind blowing.

Only because the 28nm process has been flogged to death by the pair of them for the last 4yrs.

All we are really doing is jumping/catching up by two generations in one go to where we would have already been had the 20nm process not been skipped.

..lets just hope it won't be another 4/5 yrs for the next leap.

Hasney

Will they drop in price though? The freaking 970 is 18 months old and barely has dropped in price. I'm not sure the 980's will see a big drop until something else releases in it's price range, which I don't think this chip will be in for a while.

They don't really need to until replacements are out. The 970 appears to have done gangbusters so NVidia feel there's no reason to drop it and this has been the case since AMD provide no real competition anymore from a sales point of view.

Any word on whether Pascal cards will require a new mobo?

It won't. There may be an NVLINK version of the chip, but it's still debatable as to if that will even make it to the consumer models for this generation. Even if it did, PCI-E versions will be available.

Only because the 28nm process has been flogged to death by the pair of them for the last 4yrs.

All we are really doing is jumping/catching up by two generations in one go to where we would have already been had the 20nm process not been skipped.

..lets just hope it won't be another 4/5 yrs for the next leap.

We are running out of space between the atoms bro

How far can we go before we change how we do transistors entirely?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So should I hold off on building a PC with my tax return or what

No, go ahead. Could be 6-12 months before there is an equivalent of a 970 in pascal. Just grab whatever GPU will last you 12 months and save the rest for an update later on. 960/970 are decent value

We are running out of space between the atoms bro

How far can we go before we change how we do transistors entirely?

I thought I heard 4nm was probably the cut-off.

Soooo, the 1080 will perform like a 980ti, and the 1070 like a 980.

No. They will be another jump akin to what Kepler was. The 1070 will be better than the 980 Ti, and the 1080 will probably beat that by 10%. Then a 1080 Ti will launch and Jesus will once again walk the Earth. Nvidia will make a data center that protein crunches every bit of cancer out of existence. Half Life 3 confirmed.

(maybe some sarcasm in there, no way HL3 gets confirmed)

GHG

Gold Member
I'll be hanging onto my 980Ti until a card comes out that's 2x as fast that I can get for the same price I bought my Ti for ($650).

Yep same here. I'm still gaming at 1080p (I downsample almost everything) so there is no urgent need either.

Tovarisc

I will believe it when I see official performance sheets from NV and benchmarks from multiple 3rd parties. To me pricing is almost more interesting tho, how wild NV will go with initial pricing models if AMD can't provide market with equal or better product?

DBZ comparisons have fallen out of fashion? ... disappointing!

Let's say that for comparison, actual Maxwell (GTX 980) and GCN 1.2 (Fury) are respectively Goku and Vegeta SSJGSSJ, then Pascal and Polaris are Beerus. PS4 and One are Gohan. Dragon Ball Super Gohan.

I did my best :p

I will believe it when I see official performance sheets from NV and benchmarks from multiple 3rd parties. To me pricing is almost more interesting tho, how wild NV will go with initial pricing models if AMD can't provide market with equal or better product?

First to the market always sets prices, but it's unlikely Nvidia goes too wild by the time Polaris drops. Realistically a 1070 will probably be $400 at launch, a 1080 about $600. That's assuming Nvidia releases first. If AMD does it's probably more like the $400/$500 they have been doing.

Top Bottom