• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen wielding a broomstick shot by Salt Lake City police

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-after-salt-lake-city-police-shoot-teenager/

Drove by this Saturday night. The police response was insane. The freeway was full of cops driving down to this from 30+ miles away. This happened in an area with a large homeless population right downtown, and they saw it go down and started throwing stuff at the cops. The crowd exiting from a Jazz game was also about a block away.

Riot starts after Salt Lake City police shoot teenager
A teenager remains in a coma after he was shot multiple times on Saturday night by police during a fight in downtown Salt Lake City, according to authorities.

Police told the Salt Lake Tribune that Abdi Mohamed was struck by three bullets in his upper and lower torso. He was listed in critical condition on Sunday, the paper reported.

What prompted police to open fire on the 17-year-old is a matter of dispute.

Witnesses told police that Mohamed was involved in a fight with another man, prompting two officers to respond to the scene.

“I don’t have much details on the shooting itself,” Detective Greg Wilking of the Salt Lake City Police Department told Fox affiliate KSTU. “That’s what it sounds like: There was an altercation taking place, and our officers intervened into that altercation.”

But Selam Mohammed, who was near Mohamed at the time of the shooting, told KSTU that Mohamed had picked up a broken broomstick moments before police arrived. Whether officers believed the teenager was going to attack them with the object remains unclear.

“The police said, ‘Drop it,’ once, then they shot him four times,” Selam Mohammed recalled. “We were trying to break it up before the police even came, but the police ran in on foot and pulled their guns out already. They already had them, like, as soon as he was running he was already grabbing for his gun, not even trying to Tase him or anything.”

The shooting unleashed protests in downtown Salt Lake City, with demonstrators gathering near the scene to shout at police and throw rocks at officers, according to Reuters. Wilking told the Tribune that some officers were injured by flying objects and that police responded with pepper spray and Tasers. Nearly 100 officers — some carrying riot shields — were at the scene, he said.

There were “a lot of hostile people upset about what had taken place,” Wilking noted.

CcU0ZY9UkAAjkiS.jpg

A broomstick? Yes, I can imagine that some damage can be done with it but it isn't a deadly weapon like a gun. Cops need training in not resorting to deadly measures in these situations.

Boke1879

A broomstick? Yes, I can imagine that some damage can be done with it but it isn't a deadly weapon like a gun. Cops need training in not resorting to deadly measures in these situations.

The kid would have to get close enough to even use it. Plenty of other ways to handle this outside of shooting.

johnsmith

remember me
I made the mistake at looking at the facebook comments on one of these stories. Holy shit, this planet. Burn it all down. We need to start over.

Hypron

At first, I read the title as "boomstick"... But the kid was actually holding a broomstick? What the heck is wrong with those officers.

Kettch

I mean, they responded to the protesters throwing things at them with pepper spray and tasers, so clearly they have other options
when they know people are looking at them.

Kas

I used to beat the shit out of my friend with nerf swords not even 5 years ago, but I feel like I'd get shot if I did that now and I was black.

This is fucked up.

RPGCrazied

Why did I already know the kid was going to be black before entering this thread?

There is a lot of these messed up cops out there and its scary.

Drove by this Saturday night. The police response was insane. The freeway was full of cops driving down to this from 30+ miles away. This happened in an area with a large homeless population right downtown, and they saw it go down and started throwing stuff at the cops. The crowd exiting from a Jazz game was also about a block away.

Was this over by the Gateway?

HeySeuss

If this is the shooting I think it is, there is apparently video of it but they are delaying releasing it for some reason. That doesn't automatically mean wrongdoing on the officers part, despite what it may seem like.

johnsmith

remember me
If this is the shooting I think it is, there is apparently video of it but they are delaying releasing it for some reason. That doesn't automatically mean wrongdoing on the officers part, despite what it may seem like.

They've confirmed there is body camera footage, but they're "waiting for the investigation to finish" before releasing it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They need to switch cops over to rubber bullets now.

Achieved the same goal without the side effect of death. A rubber bullet will still disarm/incapacitate/injure/slow down etc.

But at least the offender lives.

The shooting unleashed protests in downtown Salt Lake City, with demonstrators gathering near the scene to shout at police and throw rocks at officers, according to Reuters. Wilking told the Tribune that some officers were injured by flying objects and that police responded with pepper spray and Tasers. Nearly 100 officers — some carrying riot shields — were at the scene, he said.

Oh so now the police decides to use tasers

ItIsOkBro

Achieved the same goal without the side effect of death. A rubber bullet will still disarm/incapacitate/injure/slow down etc.

Rubber bullets would just make cops start shooting more and sooner

Guevara

In the recent San Francisco shooting of Mario Woods, the cops actually did use rubber bullets first but they weren't effective.

You're not wrong, it seems like the USA needs to recall their police arsenal not militarise it further with more lethal hardware. Invest the budget in training and non-lethal options.

duckroll

With a name like Abdi Mohamed, what was he really expecting? That's enough to frighten any grown white man just imagining how it could be pronounced. Don't blame the police, blame the fact that he had an aggressive name that made them feel threatened. A tragedy all round, but definitely not a crime.

Kozak

Banned
When I was young (pre 10) my dad fashioned my sister and I a bow from bamboo and some blunt arrows.

We used to play with that shit on the street.

I used to aim it at cars that drove by, pretending to be threatening. Never got pulled up for it..

If I lived in the US Id definitely be dead.

Geist-

I...don't know what...Christ...

We really need a new police system. Just restructered from the ground up. Maybe we can try that Community Policing thing Sanders is always talking about, seeing and talking to people in a community everyday might stop cops from shooting first, asking questions later.

So, what's it gonna take, defenders of the blue menace? How many more black youth have to be shot for you to say, "Maybe there's a problem with our police force?"

Bloomers

So, what's it gonna take, defenders of the blue menace? How many more black youth have to be shot for you to say, "Maybe there's a problem with our police force?"
To them, it's not a problem.

Speedy recovery Abdi. I'm sorry our police system caused you grievous harm, as it has so many others.

RPGCrazied

Well, at least the democratic presidential candidates are talking about it.

Really can't be said for the GOP.

Christine

I want more than anything for him to live through this wound.

Some of this is selfish; I want him to be able to recollect and relate his side of this story. I want him to recover whole of mind and as hale in body as a man who's had three bullet holes put in him ever can be.

There is a common police training protocol that revolves around a 21 foot rule, assuming that a person facing the officer with a weapon in hand within that distance represents a deadly threat. There is a certain sensibility to this propogated knowledge, it works out in dry fire training exercises and the like. However, it represents an almost military paradigm for deadly engagement against a population that is largely neither as predicated toward violence nor as violently capable so as to necessitate such protocol.

When this is what we accept as a necessary measure to ensure officer safety (inasmuch as the ability of peace officers to conduct their duties in way that minimizes hazard to their lives is a necessity in order to have peace officers and thereby ensure public safety) inside of a society and culture that values black lives less, that teaches us in ways subtle and overt that black men are especially dangerous and that black boys are just black men waiting to happen, we get this sort of result on a despairingly regular timetable.

Seventeen years old. He was 17. I think about myself when I was 17 and what I got into without ever once imagining being shot and I just can't even process the fucking thing.

neeksleep

So, real questions.

1. Why don't they use rubber bullets? They'd probably hurt a shit-ton, but they wouldn't kill, would they?
2. If there is no reason not to use them, would they be able to make the first 2/3 bullets in a magazine rubber and the rest real?

kswiston

I don't even know how a skinny 17 year old wielding an inch thick stick warrants deadly force.

It's sad that his baby son might have to go through life without a dad over this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Seventeen years old. He was 17. I think about myself when I was 17 and what I got into without ever once imagining being shot and I just can't even process the fucking thing.

Yeah this really boggles my mind.

I've said on this forum many times in these threads that my mind can't comprehend or fathom the sheer stress that must come with being a black male in America. My mind can't handle what it would be like to literally live in a constant state of fear that you pretty much could be shot dead by Police at any time for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom