• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Woke Up Naked Woman, Ordered Her To Show Them A Gun, Then Killed Her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deanne Choate was sleeping naked under the covers when a trio of cops flicked on the lights and came barreling into her bedroom with guns drawn, believing she posed a lethal threat.
The police officers from Gardner, Kansas roused her awake and ordered her to show the gun her boyfriend told them she had fired. When she did that after throwing on a hoodie, police opened fire anyway, putting her to sleep for good.

A year after Choate’s death, officers Robert Huff, Justin Mohney, and Jeff Breneman remain on the force, having dodged criminal charges or censure for killing of the 53-year-old woman. But their department was slapped with a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court this week by Choate’s children. Armed with bodycam footage of the incident, the Choates blame police for being trigger happy when they were supposed to help their mother.

“They say she was pointing a pistol at them,” Choate’s 37-year-old son Michael Weddington told The Daily Beast in an exclusive interview, referring to body camera video footage captured from the tragic night that Choate’s family members reviewed.
And after video footage from the cops’ body camera was finally offered up for the family to view, Weddington is certain the cops’ overreacted and could have spared her life.

“Why did they have to get all commando style?”

Source..

The shocking part of these story isn't just the killing, but the fact they murdered a white woman and still got off scot free. I would have expected the story to get more play in the media for partly that reason.

Just shows how cops have too much power.

Ogodei

Every department in the country, every single officer, back to the police academy and get retrained from square one. Every state required to have special offices just for prosecuting police officers so you don't get the current incest between DA's and PD's.

jelly

Do they actually screen and train cops in the US?

Is the bar to entry very low to be a cop?

I would be curious to know if they would even pass in the UK for example.

seriously, "putting her to sleep for good"? what the fuck....

so, what's it going to take to actually do something about the "bad ones"? how many unjust deaths will there have to be? hundreds? thousands?

Iorv3th

Do they actually screen and train cops in the US?

Is the bar to entry very low to be a cop?

I would be curious to know if they would even pass in the UK for example.

I think it depends on the cop. I worked with a retired cop, super nice guy. But he told some crazy stories about times he got stabbed by people he wasn't even expecting to be a threat. Think he said now a lot of cops over react because they don't know who to trust.

Awful enough that this happened, but I thought with the thread title that they tried to "frame" her by demanding that she grabs a gun. But I do not know what they are going for here.

Disturbing thing is that I didn't have much trouble believing that.

Sky Chief

I went for lunch yesterday at my local barbecue place and it was full of police having lunch armed to the hilt. These cops weren't wearing regular uniforms but they all had like Under Armour t-shirts on that said "Police", "US Marshalls", or "Sheriff" written on the back and camouflage fatigues. They looked ready to go to war. I have to admit the militarisation made me feel really uncomfortable and I overheard other diners say the same thing. The entire group then got up and left and another group of 15-20 police immediately sat down dressed exactly the same way.

The Wall

Banned
So.. is it even a news article? Reads like an ad.

I'm still waiting to hear back on the serious complaint I left over a very abusive police incident that should have never been allowed to happen and was one of the most pathetic things I've seen in a long time. I use the term 'police' loosely because they were useless and their jobs were not justified. Hoax is hoax. I wonder if they're going to try to bribe me again..... they're pretty bad at it.

jwk94

so she put on the sweater, showed em the gun, and then they shot her. Why? She was following orders.

andthebeatgoeson

Damn shame that a ton more have to die before we get some real change. They killed her on video and their actions suggest they knew nothing would happen.

bounchfx

You know, I'm generally afraid of the robot uprising that will enslave us all, but seriously id be 100% OK with cops losing their jobs to robots IF it meant the jobs would be done properly and without corruption. I can't imagine it would result in more deaths or abuse of power than there is now unless every cop was a t-1000

The shocking part of these story isn't just the killing, but the fact they murdered a white woman and still got off scot free. I would have expected the story to get more play in the media for partly that reason.

This, really. I understand that we have to respect them but at the end of the day, they are still just men with badges on their arm. There aren't some sort of superior species to homo sapiens just because they are police.

Walpurgis

Banned
So.. is it even a news article? Reads like an ad.

I'm still waiting to hear back on the serious complaint I left over a very abusive police incident that should have never been allowed to happen and was one of the most pathetic things I've seen in a long time. I use the term 'police' loosely because they were useless and their jobs were not justified. Hoax is hoax. I wonder if they're going to try to bribe me again..... they're pretty bad at it.
I don't understand what you're talking about. Could you please elaborate?

There are more tragic details in the full article. I'm particularly disturbed by the fact that they moved the body, twice, before paramedics arrived and made no attempt to resuscitate her.

ShOcKwAvE

Every department in the country, every single officer, back to the police academy and get retrained from square one. Every state required to have special offices just for prosecuting police officers so you don't get the current incest between DA's and PD's.

Retrained from square one? Where do you think they got some of their tactics from? The whole system needs fundamental change and new forms of oversight.

The Wall

Banned
This, really. I understand that we have to respect them but at the end of the day, they are still just men with badges on their arm. There aren't some sort of superior species to homo sapiens just because they are police.

But they act/think like they are. Male ego is a dangerous thing when left unchecked in closed systems of abuse like police unions when combined with intentionally "non-top-tier-IQ" hiring practices. They literally do more harm than good. I've had them admit they were completely useless over fucked up shit, but they only show up in times where their actions make everything worse.

Lay-offs and open prison any ones who take these sort of actions. It's fucking disgusting.

zeioIIDX

The fuck is going on?

2KkBOnr.png

tkscz

Contrary to popular belief, police also get away with killing white people. Late last year, a cop shot a young white woman through his police car and ran her over, he got away with it.

Too many cops get away with far too much and it's disgusting. There should be a test that sees who becomes power mad once they become a cop.

akira28

My God damned rights is happening.

If you don't like it.....

...buy a gun?

the dailybeast is a tabloid. maybe they think being irreverent will shock people out of their stupidity fugues, since being respectful and serious hasn't been doing shit for the sanctity of human life.

Mailbox

This is cold blooded murder, right?

Then again, there have been more blatant straight up murder caught on camera that has been excused...

Law enforcement really needs to be held more accountable and to a higher standard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom