• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche Studios porting Rise of the Tomb Raider to PS4?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Edit: Wrong most likely. As noted by someone on Twitter, the webmaster probably copied something they shouldn't have from the Just Cause 3 purchasing site.

I had a hearty 'smh' moment when I read the news.

Avalanche NY studio has not really done a spectacular job with JC3 on console-

Would have been interesting if it were Avalanche Stockholm

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Why the hell would Avalanche Studios be porting over a game that Crystal Dynamics should be able to do pretty easily? The PS4 version was already in development before the timed exclusive deal happened and they should easily be able to finish it up by year's end.

As for Avalanche Studios, I like them and loved Mad Max. Didn't play Just Cause 3 but at the same time, I don't have any interest in doing so.

Fredrik

But why?? Nixxes has already shown what they're capable of, why would they not get to do the PS4 port too? Maybe it's a bigger improvement and not just a port, a proper definitive edition?

Why the hell would Avalanche Studios be porting over a game that Crystal Dynamics should be able to do pretty easily? The PS4 version was already in development before the timed exclusive deal happened and they should easily be able to finish it up by year's end.

As for Avalanche Studios, I like them and loved Mad Max. Didn't play Just Cause 3 but at the same time, I don't have any interest in doing so.

CD doesn't do ports. They haven't made a game on a non-Xbox platform since the PS2 days. The odd part would be if Nixxes isn't doing it. They've handled all Tomb Raider ports with the exception of certain versions of Underworld and Anniversary.

Well.. Thats terrible news if true.

Avalanche are not exactly known for making well optomised console games and its a bummer if a team as well known as that need to resort to port work to get cash.

Is there a reason why CD isn't doing the port?

CD never really did ports of its games for whatever reason. They just made the game for a platform and farmed the port out. Nixxes has been porting their games for nearly 2 decades so its a surprise if they are not doing the PS4 version.

I dont think CD has even done internal PlayStation development since the ps2

Barakov

Uh-oh.

I love Avalanche, but their console track record leaves a bit to be desired.

Does it? I can't speak for the PS3 version of JC2 but the the 360 version was solid from what I remember. Mad Max seemed to run pretty well on PS4/X1. Granted it was the NY Avalanche, but JC3 seemed to be a case of it not having a enough time in development.

Balls.

Given the XO exclusivity deal, I now worry there's the usual parity clause bollocks that MS always wants in place, so it will just be a straight port with no improvements or packed in DLC, and thus it'd be a waste to use Nixxes since anyone will do and they can just use a cheaper studio.

This bodes very ill if true.

LewieP

As if the PS4 release didn't have enough going against it....

Do they want this thing to sell at all? Why even release it

It'll do fine, historically these games tend to sell better on Playstation than other consoles, and the install base is massive.

I'd guess that it will sell more on PS4 than on Xbox One.

Shin-chan

Not one single thing about this game has been handled well since its reveal trailer.

This could turn out alright (maybe even great) but man I'm glad I got to pick up the Nixxes version.

PS4 only players, save yourself the time and money because the game is a waste of both and the port is clearly going to be half arsed, just like releasing it a year later is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I was hoping for Nixxes, but this should be interesting.

I've covered the game so much at this point that I just need something to spice it up by the time it hits PS4.

Pancake Mix

Well, I was hoping for Nixxes, but this should be interesting.

I've covered the game so much at this point that I just need something to spice it up by the time it hits PS4.

Hopefully it's a Definitive Edition and comes with the DLC and some improvements. I've read a lot of praise about the game itself so I don't doubt that part.

Fredrik

CD doesn't do ports. They haven't made a game on a non-Xbox platform since the PS2 days. The odd part would be if Nixxes isn't doing it. They've handled all Tomb Raider ports with the exception of certain versions of Underworld and Anniversary.
Maybe they asked around for someone to do proper update, a definitive edition, rather than just another port and Nixxes wasn't up to the task or wasn't interested? A port like what we've seen on PC would make no sense at this point since it'll arrive so late and will likely look worse than on PC.

While there's reason to be skeptical, it's not as if Avalanche won't get a longer than normal time to get this port polished till release.

Let's see how the port actually ends up being first. Maybe having 5+ more months than usual to work a port might make up for their general incompetence at ports.

LewieP

Balls.

Given the XO exclusivity deal, I now worry there's the usual parity clause bollocks that MS always wants in place, so it will just be a straight port with no improvements or packed in DLC.

How exactly would MS enforce that? They can't retroactively cancel the Xbox release. MS have nothing to do with the PS4 version, by the time it releases their contractually agreed exclusivity will have ended.

How exactly would MS enforce that? They can't retroactively cancel the Xbox release. MS have nothing to do with the PS4 version, by the time it releases their contractually agreed exclusivity will have ended.

It'd just need to be stipulated in the original contract both they and SE would have signed, and they could sue the shit out of SE if they broke that deal.

I mean the rumour is they had enough foresight and sway over SE to get the PS4 version delay extended to a year rather than a few months in exchange for SE to even be able to talk about other versions of the game existing before the XO version came out, so getting the parity clause they famously try to get for every single game released on their platforms locked down air tight would hardly be a shocker.

Pancake Mix

That clause is for games being released on Xbox though, this is a port to different hardware one year later, not a late game coming to Xbox or one at the same time.

Bit of a silly move giving this to Microsoft exclusively and i reckon that decision could mean and end to the tomb raider franchise. No one will buy it on the ps4 when they have a ton of multi platform / ps4 exclusives to look forward to.

KyleCross

If they're having Avalanche do it I'm guessing part of the contract with Microsoft is when it did ultimately come to PS4 it has to be broken.

I'm
half
joking.

That clause is for games being released on Xbox though, this is a port to different hardware one year later, not a late game coming to Xbox or one at the same time.

Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong and I'm just being paranoid here, but considering the utter balls up of the games handling so far by SE, and apparent intention of MS not so much to have it as an exclusive, but more to deny it to Playstation owners as much as possible, I'm going to assume the worst until proven wrong, especially if this rumour is true and SE are using a studio with a far less excellent track record than the one that usually handles these games ports.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Bit of an aside, but for those who have played RotTR, is/are the story/characters any better than they were in TR 2013? Just finished that recently, and... well, the plot never really went anywhere interesting and the characters were all pretty one-dimensional. I'd like to
eventually
be excited for the PS4 port, but unless those things were improved, I doubt that'll happen.

KingBroly

Banned
Bit of an aside, but for those who have played RotTR, is/are the story/characters any better than they were in TR 2013? Just finished that recently, and... well, the plot never really went anywhere interesting and the characters were all pretty one-dimensional.

There's a 2 word answer for this.

Both words are No.

Top Bottom