• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five dead after mass shooting in Pittsburgh suburb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

At least five people were reported dead after a mass shooting in the eastern Pittsburgh suburb of Wilkinsburg Wednesday night.

The exact numbers of victims was unknown, though KDKA reported that police confirmed five deaths, four of whom were women.

Three more were reported to be injured in the shooting., when neighbors said they heard more than 25 shots and dozens of shell cases were found.

Police believe that multiple gunmen opened fire on a backyard party around 11 p.m., shooting victims as they scrambled to get inside.

A witness told WPXI that she had seen four men running from the scene after the explosion of gunfire.

As of midnight no suspects were in custody.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-pennsylvania-mass-shooting-article-1.2559264

harSon

Banned
That's about a mile from where I was raised in Pittsburgh (Homewood) :( Predominantly black and economically suffering...

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Gang related?

Anytime I hear about a shooting at a party, especially this late at night, I assume it has something to do with gangs/organized crime.

Just seems too personal to be a random, terroristic or mass-murderer out for the fame kind of situation.

That's about a mile from where I was raised in Pittsburgh (Homewood) :( Predominantly black and economically suffering...

During my freshman orientation at Pitt, the guide told my group to stay the hell out of the Hill District and Homewood. She wasn't wrong.

I feel for the victims but as others have said, just another Wednesday night in America.

torontoml

Fuck man, literally the only thing I can do every time this shit happens is sigh, though I don't know if its more of a "again" feeling or "sympathy" feeling.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Oh, wow. Didn't expect to see a thread on this. I read Wilkinsburg this morning and thought, welp, it's Wilkinsburg. That's how bad these areas are. This is a bit more extreme than the normal case, but I assume it's the street bullshit of "you killed my friend/family, or robbed me I'm gonna get you back"

The culture in these areas is poison.

marrec

Banned
Gang related?

It's possible, Wilkinsburg is economically depressed but the crime rate isn't disproportionately high in the neighborhood compared to other poor areas in Pittsburgh. A tragedy nonetheless.

I hope the injured recover and they find the cowards that did this.

Ekdrm2d1

Allegheny County officials on Thursday morning identified the five people killed as Tina Shelton, 37; Shada Mahone, 26; and three siblings: Jerry Shelton, 35; Brittany Powell, 27; and Chanetta Powell, 25.

Come on.

Fucking tired of this.

Ogodei

This isn't stirring much around here. Wilkinsburg is one of the worst-off suburb communities, so it's likely gang or crime related and not random violence. Especially because there were multiple individuals doing the shooting.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and worked in Wilkinsburg in the past. It's generally a very poor, drug and crime infested area, and I wouldn't classify this as a "mass shooting" in the typical way a person does when describing random shootings in America, as this more than likely had a specific motive--which you can sense from the details describing the deaths. Thread title should be changed and is misleading.

hwalker84

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and worked in Wilkinsburg in the past. It's generally a very poor, drug and crime infested area, and I wouldn't classify this as a "mass shooting" in the typical way a person does when describing random shootings in America, as this more than likely had a specific motive--which you can sense from the details describing the deaths. Thread title should be changed and is misleading.

Wilkinsburg is the hood. The Ghetto. I have family in WIlkinsburg. I agree with you 100%.

Ray Wonder

What I'm hoping is this doesn't spawn off a bunch more shootings. This is a lot of people shot. 11 people were hit. That's a lot of angry families.

Come on.

Fucking tired of this.

Holy shit, I actually know one of those people.

Wilkinsburg is the hood. The Ghetto. I have family in WIlkinsburg. I agree with you 100%.

I've lived in McKeesport my whole life, and I still won't step foot into Wilkinsburg. I'll drive through it, but that's about it.

mackattk

The way it seems now is that only way to prevent mass shootings is to redefine what a mass shooting is; because this seems to happen every day now and there is no stopping it. So if we say a mass shooting is now at least 10 deaths that should significantly cut down on how many of these mass shootings we have.

Futureman

I moved in October but this was about 5 minutes from where I previously lived.

Real sad. There were around 4 or so murders in the year I lived in Wilkinsburg but they were all just one person killed at a time involving drugs. 5 dead and 4 of them women is crazy.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
What else would you call it? It's a mass shooting.

marrec

Banned
I've lived in McKeesport my whole life, and I still won't step foot into Wilkinsburg. I'll drive through it, but that's about it.

When I first moved to Pittsburgh I rented in McKeesport on Orchard. Shit was terrifying tbh but since I wasn't ever involved in that stuff I only ever got a few windows broken on my car.

I was talking to a homeless guy at a gas station a few years into my stay about the crime in McKeesport and he straight up told me "at least we ain't Wilkinsburg or Homewood though".

Davey Cakes

On a backyard party?

Um...holy shit. Can you imagine? Just out having a good ol' barbecue with friends and suddenly being shot at for no reason, with some people even dying.

All these incidents are "horrific" but the picture of this one in my mind is really unsettling for some reason. Gang-related or not, we're talking scary stuff.

Futureman

Mass shooting is merely a description of the number injured or killed. Don't agree it should be changed just because it's a poor area with lots of crime.

War Eagle

another day, another mass killing in America. Problem?

Way to politicize the lives lost. RIP to the victims.

Also, since you insist on going there -- this is clearly gang/drugs related rather than a random mass shooting or terrorist event. I'd be willing to bet the two criminals did not acquire their firearms legally.

Ray Wonder

When I first moved to Pittsburgh I rented in McKeesport on Orchard. Shit was terrifying tbh but since I wasn't ever involved in that stuff I only ever got a few windows broken on my car.

I was talking to a homeless guy at a gas station a few years into my stay about the crime in McKeesport and he straight up told me "at least we ain't Wilkinsburg or Homewood though".

Oh wow, we've probably seen each other at some point. That's weird to think about. Maybe at that giant eagle right there.

Orchard is a nicer area, at least you weren't near Harrison Village, or Crawford Village.

And I agree with that homeless guy for sure. I feel safe in McKeesport sometimes lol.

Ray Wonder

What's the fucking difference between a gang mass loss of life, and a random loss of life?

They were asking for it?

It's a lot more common.. And they're targeted victims. That's the only thing I can think of. I'm not saying it's any better btw.

marrec

Banned
It's a lot more common.. And they're targeted victims. That's the only thing I can think of. I'm not saying it's any better btw.

For mass shootings it's actually less common I thought? I think mass shootings tend to be domestic in nature, ie a husband kills his kids and family.

Ray Wonder

For mass shootings it's actually less common I thought? I think mass shootings tend to be domestic in nature, ie a husband kills his kids and family.

Not 100% if gang mass shootings or domestic mass shootings are more common, but I know they're both more common than random mass shootings.

War Eagle

What's the fucking difference between a gang mass loss of life, and a random loss of life?

They were asking for it?

• The shooters most likely did not legally acquire the weapons
  • There was a reason (regardless of how shitty a reason) for the shooting, whether over drugs, money, territory, women, etc.
  • Often it's for retaliation or there will be retaliation for this (it's a vicious cycle)
  • Often (but not always) the victims are also criminals
  • The general public is more or less safe from the shooters

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Depends on if you're talking homicides or just shootings. Mass shootings of this nature are pretty common. Casualties of this number in these incidents aren't as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom