• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Link's Awakening DX

So, okay, I thought I called myself a Zelda fanboy, but I was fooling myself. I knew that I had never played LA before, but I didn't think it mattered. I went on avoiding it.

WTF IS WRONG WITH ME

I picked this up cheap cheap CHEAP the other day and have been having a BALL with it. I think I might like the Oracle games a tad better, but since I thought those games were basically PERFECT, that's not bad at all. This game is classic Zelda, and I can't believe I didn't play this earlier. I'm ashamed of myself. I played and beat every other Zelda game EXCEPT this. Thank God I got this.

I'm just know heading to the Prarie place for the third dungeon. So awesome so far!

SantaC

Zelda LA is everything done right with Zelda. The Music, the ending and the gameplay are all fantastic.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
MM had a fantastic ending aswell. especially the part
with the wooden butler dude and his kid... :'(

Best 2D-Zelda!

And probably the Zelda with the best story, as well....remembering those ruins, where you had to beat an enemy and got nothing...besides a writing onto the wall, that told you about....well, play it ^^

Kleevah

18xp8.png

I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER...
IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD!
... ... ... ...
BUT, VERILY, IT BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END!
WHEN I DOST AWAKEN, KOHOLING WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD...
SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD...
... ... ... ...
COME, LINK...
LET US AWAKEN... TOGETHER!!

Ferrio

Banned
I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER...
IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD!
... ... ... ...
BUT, VERILY, IT BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END!
WHEN I DOST AWAKEN, KOHOLING WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD...
SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD...
... ... ... ...
COME, LINK...
LET US AWAKEN... TOGETHER!!

When I realized the implications of this :cry time. ****ing windfish.

Though a question

Was it really the windfish's dream, or Links?

Sapiens

Played this one before I ever played LttP - great memories.

One complaint - the unavoidable text when you pick up certain items is very irritating.

Peru

It's my favourite handheld game of all time. They nailed everything that's great about the Zelda series; the recreational stuff you can do outside of the main quest, the oddball characters you come across everywhere; some won't have an impact on the story but live a life on their own - creating a sprawling world. Neat minigames, nice story, great music, charming characters, exciting dungeons. Has an atmosphere all of its own, it's not just a downgraded "good enough to be portable" game.
The ending was pretty tough to swallow the first time through, but it, and the story in general is actually pretty sweet.

I don't have the following Zelda games:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

I'm sure my EB store may have these copies lying in there somewhere. I'm just too lazy to go and get it. Procrasinate must not!

And maybe because i'm overwhlemed by all these new games coming out and totally forgot about the older games like these.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The best Zelda game ever by a big margin (and possibly the best GBC game ever, too). The Capcom ones were decent, but nowhere near in the same league in terms of pacing and puzzle design. The 3D ones had their charms, but had way too much filler to compete.

yonder

I didn't know that so much Link's Awakening love existed in this forum. LA is one of my earliest gaming memories :)

*joins in grouphug*

Juice

Pretty Sure LA/DX is the best Zelda game to date. It's basically universally loved (as you can see by this thread's posts).

Brobzoid

Sapiens said:
Played this one before I ever played LttP - great memories.

One complaint - the unavoidable text when you pick up certain items is very irritating.

avoidable by pressing start and select at once I think... :\ or some other button combo. It was heavily used in speedruns iirc.

bard

I never partook in the DX version of the game (or the Oracle ones, for that matter), but the original is still one of my favorite Zelda experiences. I still have my old copy where the "map trick" works. :)

Brobzoid

Is the "second ending" in the DX version? And how was the color dungeon?

Ferrio

Banned
Brobzoid said:
Is the "second ending" in the DX version? And how was the color dungeon?

Ya you get a nice big picture of her. The color dungeon was pretty gimmicky. Though going through it you either got an item that raised your power, or upped your defense turning you either blue/red

Brobzoid

so it wouldn't be worth buying the DX if I have the regular? If I want to play it again...

LA (non DX) is the best 2d Zelda game ever... it's also still my favorite handheld game. I prefer the original version -- DX may have (unnecessary) color and a (short and easy) added dungeon, but it also has a lot more hints (the owl statues are all over the place, as opposed to the "one per dungeon" stone tablets...), which make the game noticably easier, something it didn't need... yeah, it's a difficult game, but it's supposed to be hard. I don't want or need all of those extra hints... :)

avoidable by pressing start and select at once I think... :\ or some other button combo. It was heavily used in speedruns iirc.

B, I think, actually. The only problem is that the DX version removes the ability to skip text boxes... get the original version for that very nice feature. :)

Anyway, it's just a near-perfect game. Great graphics that look a lot more like the SNES game's graphics than you'd expect from the original Game Boy, the best music the GB ever did (The Ballad of the Wind Fish is beautiful... all of the music in the game is great, though, but that one stands out. That and the insturment songs at the ends of the dungeons.), by far the most original storyline in the Zelda series up to that point (and while some of the more recent Zelda games have good stories too, LA still has one of the best ones... it really shows what you can do with atmosphere and a minimum of text. The way that you slowly come to realize what is really going on on the island and what you will have to do to get off it, and the implications of that, is amazing...), fun sidequests, a great cast of characters and world, awesome dungeons, a fair save system that doesn't force you to redo entire dungeons or start from the middle of the map just because you died... it's a far better game than Zelda 1 or LttP for sure, and it's better than Oracles too, though those two games were also great.

Zelda: LA -- the game where Link destroys the world out of a selfish desire to get off of it... and the Nightmares defend it because they, unlike the townspeople, know what is going on and want to continue to exist. Or at least you could interpret it that way... :D

The special ending, for if you get no deaths (only Zelda game with multiple endings...), is nice though...

The best Zelda game ever by a big margin (and possibly the best GBC game ever, too). The Capcom ones were decent, but nowhere near in the same league in terms of pacing and puzzle design. The 3D ones had their charms, but had way too much filler to compete.

OoT was better, but LA is definitely second.

LakeEarth

The final boss is great. I always remember him because the first dozen or so times I beat him, I used the bow and arrow, and it takes like 20 hits to kill him. Then I decided to try the boomerang..... :(

kablooey

A Black Falcon said:
The special ending, for if you get no deaths (only Zelda game with multiple endings...), is nice though...

Really? They should do that with Zelda games more often. It'd definitely add to the replay value, like with Metroid.

Doogdogg

I loved this game. Bought that Super GameBoy thing just to play it on TV.

I think I've spent more money on this franchise than any other. Bought an N64 just for OoT, and bought that damn expansion pak to play Majora's Mask.

Next gonna get Wii day 1 for Twilight Princess.

<3

Similar story. Never had the DX version, but even the original... yeah, that was Nintendo at top form, no question. A deep game with such a good story, you really did feel bad in some respects.

I've heard that if you finish it with no deaths, Marin flutters by on wings. Apparently the effect is bad on the GB one, but they fixed it to look better in the GBC one. Any comparison pics or movies anywhere?

LA is my favourite Zelda too. I found Lttp to be an extremely clever game, but often fairly irritating to play. LA is more fun, has a far better story, and is generally more endearing.

Ferrio

Banned
Kulock said:
Similar story. Never had the DX version, but even the original... yeah, that was Nintendo at top form, no question. A deep game with such a good story, you really did feel bad in some respects.

I've heard that if you finish it with no deaths, Marin flutters by on wings. Apparently the effect is bad on the GB one, but they fixed it to look better in the GBC one. Any comparison pics or movies anywhere?

In the DX version it shows a seagull flying by. Then a big colored picture of Marin fills the screen.

Peru

It's worth getting the DX version as well, for cheap. I think it's great playing through in vibrant colors, even if the color dungeon isn't among the best.

Ferrio said:
In the DX version it shows a seagull flying by. Then a big colored picture of Marin fills the screen.

Aww, that's nice, then. I'd kind of like to see some of the additions to the GBC version (the photos, the color dungeon), but it almost sounds like I'd still end up preferring the GB version more.

Caaz

I played the B&W version, but the color one is almost the same. Exceptionnal. It may be the best Zelda ever, and the way the story is telled, plus the ending, are awesome.

Cheebs

Greatest Zelda Ever.

In context my ranking would be however:
Link's Awakening
A Link to the Past
The Wind Waker
Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Ocarina of Time
The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda
Majora's Mask
Four Swords Adventure
Adventure of Link

Valtox

I like when you go in those 2 houses and there's always a telephone ringing:lol
(the only telephone in zelda games? ?_?)

Brobzoid

eh... Dunno if the DX version of the ending(from what I gather of those pics) is so good. does it look better in motion?

Jasoco

Banned
God, Links Awakening was my first Zelda. I love it so damn much. I have the DX version. I would LOVE a remake on the GBA (Only so I can play it on my Micro or DS. I hate my GBA SP first generation dim screened POS.)

I'd gladly welcome this game being remade with open arms. Especially if they add yet another new dungeon.

I got LTTP a while after. Together, both games are the best Zelda's ever. That is counting OOT and MM.
Yes, I went there.

Deku

Banned
Yeah, a remake on DS or GBA with bonus features and Zelda 3 graphics would be nice. I don't have an SP so can't really play this game with a backlight. Might pick up a revised SP later this year, but doubful with the Wii and PS3...

Top Bottom