• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U and N3DS banned because of chargeback on digital game bought from EBay.

LQX

To break it down

-My sister bought a N3DS last year and then bought a few 3DS digital games on Ebay via guest checkout shortly after.
-This year they banned her N3DS and Wii U(which is for my niece and nephew) as it turns out one of games she bought had a charge back.
-To prove she was not the one that did a chargeback Nintendo wants proof she unknowingly bought the game in question from another person.
-She bought it close to a year ago and did keep a receipt of it.
-We have called PayPal and both times they could not find charges related to it.
-EBay basically lies to us and says we should go through PayPal as they don't keep receipts that long.
-Bank statements are of no use as they just show the charge as EBay PayPal.

In the end we are having a hard time proving we were also scammed but whats really bugging us is that Nintendo is giving us no way out unless we find proof of that purchase. They wont let her just rebuy the game or just delete it from her history. And it does not matter than in that time many other digital games were bought. That one games as basically caused her to lose the dozens of other games she has.

Moreover, the Wii U which is for her kids is also banned and no digital games were ever bought for it. The ban on that is the result of her attaching her ID to the system to set up parental controls.

Also, we would have never known the systems were banned if it was not for the fact I planned to sell my Wii U and was going to transfer my system to theirs so they could have access to all my games but got that error code when I was trying to access the eshop. She was not able to get into the eshop because of the error for a few weeks now but just figured it was her connection.

I may just give them my Wii U. But are the banned Wii U and N3DS systems basically worthless now? My niece and nephew can no longer play their Splatoon and Mario Kart online.

Honestly OP, I would just keep trying to hit up Nintendo.

And everytime, elevate your concerns to the highest position willing to hear it. Eventually they'll have to cave.

Nintendo screwed you here.

LQX

Yeah. The games are still on the system including the game that has the chargeback. I guess the ban essentially makes the system worthless for online play, redownload of games or being able to transfer them.

And everytime, elevate your concerns to the highest position willing to hear it. Eventually they'll have to cave.

We called a few times and and they would not budge. They did not sound like they believed us that we could not provide receipt for the particular game. To make matters worse they were being vague which game it was so we might have sounded like liars trying to explain some of the purchases were free Club Nintendo giveaway games bought.

Sylas

This is how chargeback works for all digital goods. Whether or not it's acceptable is one thing--but unless you're enacting a return, you're going to be banned for performing a chargeback on any digital platform, regardless of the medium or product. Even if you got scammed, you have to provide hard proof that you didn't actually perform the chargeback yourself.

There are fees and huge penalties on companies that have to process chargebacks, so they want to mitigate the possibility of it for the future. Even if they removed the product, they have no way to know that you (or in this case your sister) wouldn't do it again, and again, and again. It's a one strike and yer out sorta deal.

Ganondolf

can't she get a letter from her bank address to Nintendo confirming that she has not had a chargeback against them?

maxcriden

How do you buy digital games through eBay? I'm a little confused, to be honest.

Some sellers sell their digital codes of games through eBay. Usually ones they've gotten through online or physical (in-box) promotions. It's hard to know if the source is legit, though.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man that's rough, hopefully you can get the console unbanned.

Nintendo didn't screw them over, the Ebay seller is the one that screwed them over.

Chesskid1

Banned
damn that is scary

i bought like every club nintendo/promo game as they were really cheap

if someone chargebacks me i'm f'ed

best of luck man

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What a shitty seller. Fuckers should be prosecuted.

Good luck OP.

Boney

Banned
What's charge back? Getting a refund?

Man Nintendo's costumer service has gone down the shithole and it's unacceptable. Locking the system like that is just them scamming you.

Someone harass Bill Trinen on Twitter

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Don't you get emails for when you buy something on ebay and another when you pay through Paypal? I have email receipts of every single thing I've bought on ebay and paid for through Paypal.

damn that is scary

i bought like every club nintendo game as they were really cheap

if someone chargebacks me i'm f'ed

The Club Nintendo games were never "purchased," who would they chargeback to?

Man Nintendo's costumer service has gone down the shithole and it's unacceptable. Locking the system like that is just them scamming you.

It's shit for LQX in this case, being an innocent party, but it's difficult to see how Nintendo could do anything different? Remember that most "chargebacks" are probably people just scamming the system for free download games so Nintendo can't just let those go - and if most are not, they certainly would be if there was no punishment for doing it.

malfcn

You can buy codes from Nintendo?

screen-4-bg.jpg

Looks like you can.

Exile20

Either you don't understand the situation or you just blame Nintendo for everything online related

So you have zero clue what charge back means but yet still blame Nintendo? smh

It seems that the OP bought a game code from an Ebay seller and the seller then proceeded to do a chargeback(Bank gets back the money from who ever sold the ebay the game code) on the game code that was sold. So nintendo banned the system.

Disabling the game would be better than the whole system tho. Not sure about that one.

knkng

The Ebay seller purchased the game digitally and then reversed the charges after OP had downloaded it. There was a scam, but it was not from Nintendo.

entremet

It's when someone contacts the company directly to dispute a charge to a CC.

It's processed as a chargeback, or refund. Companies hate them because they still have eat the costs.

Many companies take a hard line approach such as banning from services and stores to prevent chargeback fraud, which is rampant.

Nintendo is not the only company with such an approach due to the high incidence of fraud. I only know of this since I worked in the e-commerce industry.

digital codes on ebay are all fucked.

Friend sold a code on ebay and the seller bought it, used the code, then put in a paypal dispute saying the code wasnt good. Paypal forced said friend to return the money to the buyer, so they were out the code, and the $30 they sold it for.

Im pretty sure code selling is against TOS on ebay

Het_Nkik

-We have called PayPal and both times they could not find charges related to it.

If she truly paid for it through PayPal, there's no way it's not in her PayPal records. I can see every PayPal transaction I've ever had going back over 10 years by just browsing my statements on their site.

I sold my Uncharted Trilogy code that came with my PS4 on eBay. Following eBay's rules, selling just the code would have been against the TOS. I had to physically mail the sheet with the code on it to the buyer for it to be okay.

Exile20

Friend sold a code on ebay and the seller bought it, used the code, then put in a paypal dispute saying the code wasnt good. Paypal forced said friend to return the money to the buyer, so they were out the code, and the $30 they sold it for.

It is, same as giftcards etc..

maxcriden

It almost definitely is. All the more reason why recourse can be difficult. I wouldn't give up on trying, though, because it sucks to unfairly lose a lot of games like this.

It is, same as giftcards etc..

Digital, yes, but I believe you can sell physical GCs there. (And retailers can sell their own digital GCs.)

This is an unfortunate case. If your sister has the ebay transaction history(or paypal statement since they actually record title of the sale I believe?) she should be able to talk to Nintendo.

MrDaravon

It's when someone contacts the company directly to dispute a charge to a CC.

It's processed as a chargeback, or refund. Companies hate them because they still have eat the costs.

Many companies take a hard line approach such as banning from services and stores to prevent chargeback fraud, which is rampant.

Nintendo is not the only company with such an approach due to the high incidence of fraud.

Yup, chargeback fraud is a pretty big and very costly deal for companies, a place I used to work for would outright ban people who did chargebacks because of all the costs incurred as a result. I once had a slightly different situation personally with paypal where someone did a chargeback, I provided a ton of evidence and Paypal removed any infractions on my account but couldn't give me the money back saying basically that they believed me but the other person's bank is say nuh uh so nothing else they could do.

Honestly in this case I'm honestly surprised Nintendo is even willing to reconsider things if the OP can provide proof they bought it from someone else since buying from a 3rd party on ebay is generally considered the buyer's risk.

Exile20

It almost definitely is. All the more reason why recourse can be difficult. I wouldn't give up on trying, though, because it sucks to unfairly lose a lot of games like this.

Digital, yes, but I believe you can sell physical GCs there. (And retailers can sell their own digital GCs.)

Ye it has to be authorized. Not sure about physical tho, good...

This is not adding up...

You purchased the download codes from a 3rd party seller or directly from Nintendo?

If you purchased the codes from a third party, why would Nintendo have anything to do with this? Once the code is redeemed, it's redeemed.

Only a buyer can instigate a chargeback, right?

Either you don't understand the situation or you just blame Nintendo for everything online related

It seems that the OP bought a game code from an Ebay seller and the seller then proceeded to do a chargeback(Bank gets back the money from who ever sold the ebay the game code) on the game code that was sold. So nintendo banned the system.

Disabling the game would be better than the whole system tho. Not sure about that one.

If disabling the game would have been the better situation, then it's fair to say that we should

Blame

Nintendo

This is not adding up...

You purchased the download codes from a 3rd party seller or directly from Nintendo?

If you purchased the codes from a third party, why would Nintendo have anything to do with this? Once the code is redeemed, it's redeemed.

The third-party bought the code, sold it on eBay, and then did a chargeback to get their money back (ie, they got the money back from buying the code on top of the money they got from selling it)

massoluk

Banned
Heard horror story about buying code from eBay so I never bought one from eBay. Like other said, not sure how you expect Nintendo or anyone one else to resolve this any differently without proof of purchase.

Boney

Banned
Thanks for the answers.

Yeah I'll "blame" Nintendo's costumer service for not being helpful at all and pretty much treating them like liars according to the op.

Poor kids just wanna play splatoon.

The third-party bought the code, sold it on eBay, and then did a chargeback to get their money back (ie, they got the money back from buying the code on top of the money they got from selling it)

But sellers can't initiate chargebacks, only buyers can, right?

Whoever sold you the codes purchased them with stolen CCs.

This is the only situation that makes sense. I'd reckon this is what happened.

Het_Nkik

Thanks for the answers.

Yeah I'll "blame" Nintendo's costumer service for not being helpful at all and pretty much treating them like liars according to the op.

But they are being helpful. All they have to do is prove they bought the game from a third party seller, which should be INCREDIBLY EASY using PayPal's website.

knkng

This is not adding up...

Because the code was redeemed, and then the Ebay seller (the one who originally purchased the code) reversed the charges. The Ebay seller essentially stole the game, which is now registered to OP's console and Nintendo Network ID. In other words, OP is in possession of stolen property.

If OP can prove to Nintendo that he was not the original purchaser (with an Ebay/PayPal receipt), then he will be fine.

Danneee

Weird to ban the whole console and not just deactivate the game in game in question. But I guess the "account" system isn't built for that kind of stuff.

Because the code was redeemed, and then the Ebay seller (the one who originally purchased the code) reversed the charges. The Ebay seller essentially stole the game, which is now registered to OP's console and Nintendo Network ID. In other words, OP is in possession of stolen property.

If OP can prove to Nintendo that he was not the original purchaser (with an Ebay/PayPal receipt), then he will be fine.

How does a seller reverse charges? I thought it was only possible for buyers to initiate a chargeback. Especially on Paypal where every buyer is vetted before payment goes through.

malfcn

Weird to ban the whole console and not just deactivate the game in game in question. But I guess the "account" system isn't built for that kind of stuff.

Makes sense if they are worried about the account or console being the vehicle to purchase and charge back funds.

I love how you shit on their customer service without even knowing the situation or what's going on

knkng

How does a seller reverse charges? I thought it was only possible for buyers to initiate a chargeback. Especially on Paypal where every buyer is vetted before payment goes through.

The Ebay seller reversed the charges on Nintendo. He bought the game, sold it to OP, and then got the money back for the game from Nintendo after OP had downloaded it.

Not to PayPal. To Nintendo. Someone bought a code form Nintendo and then the CC company did a chargeback to Nintendo.

Peagles

If she truly paid for it through PayPal, there's no way it's not in her PayPal records. I can see every PayPal transaction I've ever had going back over 10 years by just browsing my statements on their site.

This, just login and look for the date on the receipt. Also emails, both from PayPal and eBay, will have all the details too (though that might be what OP means by receipt anyway).

entremet

Chargebacks aren't rare things. They happen all the time, many times per day.

Frauds and hucksters do this en masse costing companies tons of money.

This is why companies are so strict with chargebacks.

Top Bottom