• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albuquerque cop was shot nine times by fellow officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6wX2xpdcrI

The moment an Albuquerque lieutenant realized he mistook an undercover cop for a suspect in a drug bust and shot him nine times, he shrieked, “I didn’t know it was you ... I thought you were a bad guy,” startling new video shows.

Lt. Greg Brachle got out of a pick-up truck, approached a black car with tinted windows and, when the person he thought was a suspect opened one of the rear doors, he repeatedly fired off his gun, the shocking lapel cam footage released by the City of Albuquerque shows.

The man turned out to be undercover detective Jacob Grant, 38, who wasn’t wearing body armor at the time of the January 2015 nearly fatal mix-up—he lost 80% of the blood in his body and suffered injuries to all of his major organs.

“I’m sorry!” Brachle frantically screams, before he yells out a string of expletives: "Oh s--t that was Jacob!" Holy s--t it's Jacob! F--- me!"

"Are you okay?" Brachle asked the wounded cop, to which he responds: "No."

Brachle retired after the Police Oversight Agency recommended that he be fired.

The video was released the day after the city of Albuquerque, N.M., shelled out $6.5 million to Grant in a settlement.

Brachle was involved in another shooting in 1998, when he shot a man who was leaving his house with his arms in the air after Brachle responded to reports of a dispute — the man survived and filed suit.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...r-shot-fellow-officer-times-article-1.2585266

This happened last year and now the video is out. How the Police Oversight Agency felt it was more appropriate to recommend firing him, rather than put him on trial for attempted murder.... That, I don't know.

Brachle was involved in another shooting in 1998, when he shot a man who was leaving his house with his arms in the air after Brachle responded to reports of a dispute — the man survived and filed suit.

Goddamn, cops scare the shit out of me

Kids with guns

neshcom

Banned
Damn, the victim has some gumption. If I got shot 9 times, I'd just tap out.

$6.5 million seems small for being inconceivably close to death, but maybe that's just me.

Zips

First off: Bwahahaha at asking the guy he had just shot 9 times if he was ok.

Second - the undercover cop lived? After losing 80% of his blood and receiving damage to all his major organs? How?

I wonder how many times his own shadow has been shot?

Also, watching the video and noticed that they had surprisingly modern cars back in the 70s.

epmode

Brachle retired after the Police Oversight Agency recommended that he be fired.

Retired! Shit, I can get fired for dozing off in a meeting. What does it take to get fired as a cop?

"Are you okay?" Brachle asked the wounded cop, to which he responds: "No."

What do you think you dumbass motherfucker, you shot him 9 times.

I hope to god that this man never gets another job as a police officer. He is completely unhinged.

Second - the undercover cop lived? After losing 80% of his blood and receiving damage to all his major organs? How?

Tupac was his guardian angel.

cameron

"I thought you were a bad guy" and not "I was fearing for my life", eh?

Lt. Greg Brachle got out of a pick-up truck, approached a black car with tinted windows and, when the person he thought was a suspect opened one of the rear doors, he repeatedly fired off his gun, the shocking lapel cam footage released by the City of Albuquerque shows.
Was there a gun? Can't see shit in the video.

kswiston

$6.5 million seems small for being inconceivably close to death, but maybe that's just me.

Depends on his quality of life afterward I guess. $6.5M, plus all his medical expenses covered, plus medical retirement, is better than was a lot of people shot by police get.

If the rest of his life is constant agony, then the money isn't going to compensate. If he eventually gets back to a relatively normal life, that's a pretty comfortable retirement.

Xe4

Banned
As someone who lived in Albuquerque for a long time, and frequently visits (I live about 100 miles away now), I'm not surprised. Albuquerque used to have one of the worst reputations of any police department and was even investigated by the FBI. Things got better after the feds started cracking down, but the root of the problem has not been dealt with.

This isn't even the first time in the last few years an undercover cop was shot either. I beleive one was shot last year as well.

Edit: Nope, it was the same cop. They just settled the case. I beleive this and the James Boyd incident was kind of the peak of shit.

CLBridges

Saw this on the news earlier. Couple things they mentioned were the Lt missed the briefing prior to the going out on the bust (yeah) and the drug deal going was a transaction of $60.

Aselith

Retired after they recommended he should be fired smh. That shouldn't be allowed.

I mean 6.5 million is set for the rest of his life.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I'm sorry but LOL at the way he said "no" after being asked if he was ok.
large.jpg

Kard8p3

Damn the way he said no, like the motherfucker who shot him about to catch hands.

For real though, cops are no where near as trained as they need to be :/

The guy was shot 9 times people, how difficult do you think it would be for him to breath, let alone yell/scream/respond eloquently?

He responded No and then probably passed out from blood loss and pain.

Letting that cop retire is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom