• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata Comments On FFXV Demo Frame Rate/Resolution, Game Will Be Optimized For PS4/XB

Since there a lot of threads regarding FFXV demo IQ/Performance, here is something straight from Tabata regarding its performance and resolution.

Regarding framerate and optimization on the full game, Tabata says the team will continue to improve on the final product. Platinum Demo uses a dynamic resolution process as a sort of experiment and the upper limit is full HD. The point of the demo wasn’t to show off the framerate but for fans to experience a part of Final Fantasy XV‘s world. The team focused on resolution first.

Tabata says Platinum Demo has the same specifications across PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The full game will be optimized for each console, though they haven’t decided if both console versions will be exactly the same once optimization is finished.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/04/24996/

For the uninformed, PS4 version runs at a dynamic resolution that adjusts between 900p to 1080p. Xbox One adjusts to 1344x756 and something close to 1690x950.

As for the frame rate, both version of the game are plagued with frame pacing issues but with frame rate generally closer to 28-29 fps as seen in NX Gamer analysis. As Tabata said, they will do optimization for each platform now so hopefully the frame pacing can be fixed.

They have no plans to update the demo either, but they want the fans to get hands-on experience with the game starting with E3.

As of right now, the development team have no plans to update Platinum Demo as they did for last year’s Episode Duscae.

Starting at this year’s E3, Tabata wants to create more opportunities for players to experience Final Fantasy XV hands-on. Fans in Japan will have similar opportunities as well.

These areas are fairly small with very few enemies and no party members. I wonder if they can get the final game to perform better with open world settings and 3 more party members with more enemies

SZips

Tabata says Platinum Demo has the same specifications across PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

What does this sentence mean in this context?

Because this right after:
For the uninformed, PS4 version runs at a dynamic resolution that adjusts between 900p to 1080p. Xbox One adjusts to 1344x756 and something close to 1690x950.

Makes it seem contradictory? Maybe I'm just reading something wrong since it's so late.

It's nice to hear that they'll be working on some fixes prior to the full game's release.

Caronte

The full game will be optimized for each console, though they haven’t decided if both console versions will be exactly the same once optimization is finished.

Are they really that stupid?

Behlel

What does this sentence mean in this context?

Because this right after:

Makes it seem contradictory? Maybe I'm just reading something wrong since it's so late.

It's nice to hear that they'll be working on some fixes prior to the full game's release.
Resolution aside both version are the same.
In other game the draw distance, the shadow quality etc. Are different but not in FF XV.

wmlk

Are they really that stupid?

What's stupid about this? They haven't finished optimizing so they don't know how it'll turn out in the end.

This isn't a parity comment. SE released Duscae which ran better on PS4, and patch 2.0 improved PS4 performance more than it did on XBOX One.

Mendax

What's stupid about this? They haven't finished optimizing so they don't know how it'll turn out in the end.

This isn't a parity comment. SE released Duscae which ran better on PS4, and patch 2.0 improved PS4 performance more than it did on XBOX One.

it is a parity comment?

if they decide on whether the two versions will be the same when one console is definitely more powerful then they are enforcing parity

SZips

Resolution aside both version are the same.
In other game the draw distance, the shadow quality etc. Are different but not in FF XV.

Ah, got it. Thank you.

Going to be interesting seeing some of the comments across the board once the full game is out. I'm hoping for the best.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They need to fix it. They won't get a free pass from the media like Bethesda does.

Yeah I agree. Square Enix style games are like the opposite end of the spectrum from Bethesda, in that they'd at least better be rock solid and gorgeous.

Faustek

Huh? Enforced parity, maybe? Or am I reading that wrong?

Yeah I read that wrong.

"Tabata says Platinum Demo has the same specifications across PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

This didn't mean parity either as PS4 performance is clearly better, even though he says they were the same specifications. Reading the article and knowing their history, I highly doubt they mean that.

Anyway 7 months left

wmlk

it is a parity comment?

if they decide on whether the two versions will be the same when one console is definitely more powerful then they are enforcing parity

"Tabata says Platinum Demo has the same specifications across PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

This didn't mean parity either as PS4 performance is clearly better, even though he says they were the same specifications. Reading the article and knowing their history, I highly doubt they mean that.

Caronte

But it says 'decided', which means parity unless...

I doubt it. Hopefully that is a mis-translation. It probably is because it says both demo versions are the turn says the PS4 version is running at a higher resolution.

Hopefully you're right.

Lingitiz

Regardless of platform differences, I have zero confidence this game will run smoothly when it releases.

If they can't get a sparse arena with one party member and one enemy stable, I doubt they're gonna get it solid in multiple Duscae sized regions with 4 party members all running around.

Faustek

Regardless of platform differences, I have zero confidence this game will run smoothly when it releases. If they can't get a sparse arena with one party member and one enemy stable, I doubt they're gonna get it solid in multiple Duscae sized regions with 4 party members all running around.

Considering they want this as a flagship* for their luminous engine I reckon they really should double down on that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Regardless of platform differences, I have zero confidence this game will run smoothly when it releases.

If they can't get a sparse arena with one party member and one enemy stable, I doubt they're gonna get it solid in multiple Duscae sized regions with 4 party members all running around.

I thought Duscae's framerate was not bad.... remind me if I'm wrong on that. It was certainly far more acceptable than Platinum Demo.

Considering they want this as a flagship* for their luminous engine I reckon they really should double down on that.

"flagship"

in that it's the only game that will ever be released for it, outside of the XV sequels which will use it out of necessity.

I thought Duscae's framerate was not bad.... remind me if I'm wrong on that. It was certainly far more acceptable than Platinum Demo.
It was perfectly reasonable for the game aside from frame rate drops when there were a lot of particles on screen i.e Summon

Digital Foundry said:
The PS4 version at least sees some genuine signs of improvements across a run of play. On average, we're looking at a 2-3fps boost with version 2.0 - just enough of an improvement to bring a number of areas closer to hitting a stable 30fps.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-final-fantasy-15-episode-duscae-revisited

Faustek

"flagship"

in that it's the only game that will ever be released for it, outside of the XV sequels which will use it out of necessity.

Worldwide Technology Director Julien Merceron explained why Square Enix shifted from using Luminous Engine on several games to only Final Fantasy XV.

Merceron explained that it’s difficult to share an engine without first creating a game on it. Some companies do that, but he wouldn’t. When he creates an engine, a game also has to be developed with that engine. After the engine proves itself in said game, then the technology can be shared, as the developers can finally say that it works.

From dual shockingly banned site.
So yeah you are perhaps right but then again they did force two sequels of a certain game. So they do have plans for the engine. They better work hard on that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They have 6 months. I don't see where the controversy is coming from, if they already have the game at close to 30fps. Just lock the PS4 version to 1080pr(1480x1080) and XB1 to 720p and get rid of the frame pacing and sharpening filter. Done.

Squire

Banned
They need to fix it. They won't get a free pass from the media like Bethesda does.

This looks far better than any game from Beth and honestly? The graphic complaints don't exist outside the Internet and won't. It's a great looking game. I hope they optimize, but the game could ship like this and the vast majority of reviews would let them "get away" Scot free.

Even NX Gamer was repeatedly saying its looks great during his analysis. Most people, reviewers included, just aren't going to get caught up in dithering and motion blur and dynamic resolution and bla bla bla.

Wagram

They focused on that dynamic resolution where everything comes off looking like a jaggy turd. Frame rate is king, focus on that.

Those comments have nothing to do with IQ. If anything, they might lower the overall dynamic resolution even further to achieve locked 30fps if everything else fails.

They still have (or rather, only have?) 6 months left though. Let's wait and see.

They have 6 months. I don't see where the controversy is coming from, if they already have the game at close to 30fps. Just lock the PS4 version to 1080pr(1480x1080) and XB1 to 720p and get rid of the frame pacing and sharpening filter. Done.

1080pr on PS4, after promising 1080p on multiple occasions, would be a huge (on GAF) controversy tho...

As well as getting rid of the frame pacing... how I wish a certain other developer could do that. Two games with such a huge problem. Maybe it's not that easy?

I'm seeing more complaints about the visuals than the framerate because its okay if framerate isn't perfect 7 months before release, there's plenty of time to fix that, but the change in visuals from the last demo to this one is just bizarre.

Inuhanyou

1080pr on PS4, after promising 1080p on multiple occasions, would be a huge (on GAF) controversy tho...

As well as getting rid of the frame pacing... how I wish a certain other developer could do that. Two games with such a huge problem. Maybe it's not that easy?

I don't recall SE ever promising 1080p for FF15 though, on either PS4 or XB1. Just that they are optimizing framerate first and foremost.

As for framepacing issues, your talking about From? But they've never bothered to do those kinds of fixes in the first place. When we know framepacing in many other games digital foundry has pointed out have been patched relatively soon after being discovered.

I'm seeing more complaints about the visuals than the framerate because its okay if framerate isn't perfect 7 months before release, there's plenty of time to fix that, but the change in visuals from the last demo to this one is just bizarre.

the graphics themselves are the same, but the sharpening filter they are using makes everything look like a mess, i'm guessing in conjunction with the fluctuating resolution.

I don't recall SE ever promising 1080p for FF15 though, on either PS4 or XB1. Just that they are optimizing framerate first and foremost.

As for framepacing issues, your talking about From? But they've never bothered to do those kinds of fixes in the first place. When we know framepacing in many other games digital foundry has pointed out have been patched relatively soon after being discovered.

Huh, maybe you're right. Couldn't find any interviews where he said something like that in google. I might've mistaken something he said in an ATR, but I definitely remember him saying that their top priority is framerate.

Yeah, its From. Pretty sure the loading times patch did reduce, but not eliminate the problem, but its been so long I don't remember where I read that.

I don't understand why there are any performance issues at all. Why does this game need a scaling resolution? Other than some nice particle effects it looks like a remastered PS3 game.

The Japanese word for deciding whether or not to do something, "kimeru", can also mean "figuring out whether or not something is possible", so I think we're looking at a mistranslation.

Inuhanyou

Huh, maybe you're right. Couldn't find any interviews where he said something like that in google. I might've mistaken something he said in an ATR, but I definitely remember him saying that their top priority is framerate.

Yeah, its From. Pretty sure the loading times patch did reduce, but not eliminate the problem, but its been so long I don't remember where I read that.

Fact of the matter is, they have a way to make the game not look like crap you could cut your hand on and make the game run well. They better do it!

I don't understand why there are any performance issues at all. Why does this game need a scaling resolution? Other than some nice particle effects it looks like a remastered PS3 game.

Er, might want to look back at FF13 before saying that. This is a game with fidelity and scale you could never get in a PS3 game from Square Enix.

These issues come directly from their overambition and most definitely their lack of full grasp of their engine that they are still trying to complete at the same time as making the game itself.

UE4 would have been far better served as a springboard i think all its tools are actually fully completed for one thing.

True Fire

I'm sure the game will be fine. It'll obviously have frame rate issues, as every open world game this generation has had on consoles, but it'll probably be better optimized at launch than most games and it will have much better post-launch patch support. Square Enix won't let their flagship game rot like they did with Just Cause 3.

Lingitiz

I'm sure the game will be fine. It'll obviously have frame rate issues, as every open world game this generation has had on consoles, but it'll probably be better optimized at launch than most games and it will have much better post-launch patch support. Square Enix won't let their flagship game rot like they did with Just Cause 3.

The game could perform like trash and nothing will change. People will complain but few media outlets will call out the bad performance unless it's rampant with crashes or something. Even then, with no PC version currently slated it's not like people can really do anything if they want to play the game.

This is a game with fidelity and scale you could never get in a PS3 game from Square Enix.

The operative phrase.

Most other major developers are achieving smoother fps with far better visuals than this, it's obviously a poorly optimised engine. Maybe not Gamebryo bad but I just hope nobody is blaming the hardware for these issues when it's definitely software. FF15 does not look impressive at all bar a few nice effects here and there.

Ambition-wise, Naughty Dog aim higher and achieve better, I just hope that these issues are SE of the past and that FF7:R will be back to form.

SE wants to release FFXV this year no matter what. I don't think they can afford to delay the game even if it has bugs and other issues. However it'll most likely be patched after it releases. What remains to be seen is that whether they can actually pull this off (release a well optimsed game by September) or whether the game might suffer (saleswise) due to these issues(assuming they plan to rely on patches)).

Top Bottom