• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann: The Last of Us movie has 'kind of entered development hell'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Didn't see this posted.

I'm glad this is the case, honestly. They can never get game adaptations right.

http://www.gamesradar.com/last-us-movie-still-coming-druckmann-says-its-kind-entered-development-hell/?utm_content=buffercf08a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_grfb

"I know I said in an interview a while back we had a table read, got the script to a good place and it kind of entered development hell like these things tend to do," he explained. "There hasn't been any work done on it in over a year and a half."

On Uncharted's adaptation:

"Every once in a while they'll come in and they'll present to us: here's the script, here's what we're thinking. We'll tell them what we think works, what we think doesn't work," he said. "That's where we're at. Last I heard is they got a new screenwriter, but we haven't seen anything in a while." Druckmann also stressed that it's key for the team at Naughty Dog that the characters are just right.

dugdug

Banned
There's no way they'd get it right, anyway. Every sequence in TLOU is crucial, and, to get that story under two hours, something would need to get cut.

EhoaVash

Video game movies always seem to be in hell. I wonder what happened to the metal gear solid movie Sony was making with kojima... Lol probably dead

Shaanyboi

Banned
I for one am shocked a movie announced immediately after the release of a game has entered development hell.

*looks at Bioshock, Deus Ex, Dark Void, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime...*

Corpsepyre

Banned
I for one am shocked a movie announced immediately after the release of a game has entered development hell.

*looks at Bioshock, Deus Ex, Dark Void, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime...*

All it would take is ONE big hit, and the floodgates would open, much like what happened with superhero films. :p

liquidtmd

Banned
In my whole lifetime, the only video game adaptation I actually like and would revisit is Silent Hill and even then I recognise its flaws.

WoW and AC will break even but I can't see them setting the world alight.

The thing with TLOU, I don't even think you'd need a massive budget to do it justice. Season 1 of 12 Monkeys on Sy-fy I thought had a real nice TLOU setting vibe in the future scenes and I don't imagine they were swimming in cash.

Edit: random fact after reading about game movie productions. From the Tomb Raider movie wiki

Financing Edit
Lara Croft was financed through Tele München Gruppe (TMG), a German tax shelter. The tax law of Germany allowed investors to take an instant tax deduction even on non-German productions and even if the film has not gone into production. By selling them the copyright for $94 million and then buying it back for $83.8 million, Paramount Pictures made $10.2 million. The copyright was then sold again to Lombard Bank, a British investment group and a further $12 million was made. However, to qualify for Section 48 tax relief, the production must include some UK filming and British actors, which was acceptable for a film partially set in the United Kingdom. Presales to distributors in Japan, Britain, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain made a further $65 million. Showtime paid $6.8 million for premium cable TV rights. In total, $94 million was put together.

The deal between Eidos, Tomb Raider's publisher, and Paramount Pictures was structured so Eidos received a single fee, but no royalties.[3]

Hotdamn. The movies budget was only set as 115mill

Ridley327

As soon as Tom Rothman got the job running Sony Pictures, this was going to head in this direction. He is not going to OK the budget this film needs and also carry an R-rating.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't mind. I have no interest in a movie of this, I like the characters and story exactly how they are and I don't personally want to see it re-interpreted.

jett

D-Member
Druckmann wasted his time writing that script. It's for the best that the movie never comes to fruition.

Like (nearly) every single movie game adaptation ever. TLOU is basically better than a movie already, one that you get to feel and experience as you play through. It's the same reason that a Mass Effect movie would suck.

daveo42

Banned
hi5paagkpp7t5pncvxnw.png

No reason to make a movie based on a video game series unless it is done right and it's rarely, if ever, done right.

Weiss

Banned
I feel that TLOU's message kind of needed to be told in a game for it to be at all effective. The disconnect from Joel's actions we would feel as a passive observer rather than an active participant, I think, would be detrimental to the game's themes and Joel's characterization.

Also all video game movies are dogshit so why would you want this.

I have to admit, as it's a bloody miracle if anything gets adapted for a film without getting mangled to some degree, I wouldn't mind if it stayed in development hell. The game was such a special experience because of the longer run time, slow burn character development and interactivity, I don't think it would be quite as special condensed into a film.

Andrew Lincoln for Joel

...okay, outta development hell, please. My body is ready.

i actually think games like assassins creed work better than the last of us for movies.

HEAR ME OUT.

The story in naughty dogs games are undeniably better. Which is why i think it works. Last of us is such a cool story, if the movie was anything but THAT story, its just a zombie movie.

Assassins creed looks like they used it just as the jumping off point, like the inspiration, to make a wholly original story.

That, to me, would work better than copy and pasting what naughty dog did great already

Servbot24

Banned
It's incredibly difficult for a script to make it to full production, even for established franchises. Not a huge surprise, and honestly probably for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom