• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

ekim

DISCLAIMER: Everything in here is my interpretation of the information I found. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

UPDATE:
ANATEL - the equivalent to the FCC in Brazil is not so strict when it comes to NDAs of Photos:

untitleda8sbz.png

Note the different numbers in the document and photo.

END OF UPDATE

Original Post:

What is the FCC? I will quote Wikipedia :p

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent agency of the United States government, created by Congressional statute (see 47 U.S.C. § 151 and 47 U.S.C. § 154) to regulate interstate communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. The FCC works towards six goals in the areas of broadband, competition, the spectrum, the media, public safety and homeland security, and modernizing itself.[4]

Basically every device that includes wireless data transmission technology and that is going to be sold to the public in the US must be approved by the FCC.

Now to the meat of the thread.

Important!

Microsoft is just testing the wireless chip for FCC approval. (See modular approval request)
The console itself is called the "Host".

Each FCC filing has Exhibits including the label location, test photos, manuals etc...
The applicant can chose to NOT make certain information public by the FCC which mostly includes photos, manuals and drawings of the device. But those documents have a availability date.
This will be important later.

1. Xbox One's wireless chip was approved by the FCC under Model Number 1525 or the FCC ID C3K1525 (C3K is the unique identifier for Microsoft and 1525 the model number)
https://fccid.io/C3K1525
you can see it's Xbox One:
- by opening the attached user manual for the Host that carries the wireless chip --> https://fccid.io/document.php?id=1994252
- by looking on the bottom of your Xbox One - you will find the FCC ID 1525

2. There are TWO recent filings with model numbers
1682 --> https://fccid.io/C3K1682
1683 --> https://fccid.io/C3K1683

Not if we check the Exhibits for those two models we can see that model 1683 includes a document named "User Manual 1525" which is not yet available and thus under NDA but the name gives away that this is basically a new Xbox One which will use the safety information manual from the OG Xbox One (https://fccid.io/document.php?id=1994252)

untitledumukk.png

--> New Xbox One revision - the NDA expires June 25 which means we will probably see a surprise release during E3

Model 1682 has the same wireless chip tested but the NDA expires late in July 29 and has it's own host manual linked but not the 1525 reference. Also there are quite some more Exhibits available here which makes me think this is the rumored Xbox Next or whatever it is called.

Also compare the label placements between OG Xbox One and 2 new filings.

I also tried to compare the test reports but a lot of results are missing in the 1682 model results.

TL;DR: FCC Filings show 2 consoles tested using the same WiFi chip where one is referencing the manual of the Xbox One and the other one not. (+ different expiry dates for attachments)

TBiddy

TL;DR: FCC Filings show 2 consoles tested using the same WiFi chip where one is referencing the manual of the Xbox One and the other one not. (+ different expiry dates for attachments)

This is interesting. Great find! Could it be a XB1 Slim and perhaps an "XB1 Digital Only" version?

This VHS recorder could definitely use a redesign.

It's not that bad. I've seen plenty of much worse looking consoles.

playXray

This is interesting. Great find! Could it be a XB1 Slim and perhaps an "XB1 Digital Only" version?

It's not too bad, but it is huge - could definitely do with a slimming down.

KevinG

I'm okay with MS and Sony announcing their "upgraded" revisions in June. More the reason for me to sell my consoles and just build a PC.

oti

Banned

Like when? In the 90's? It's definitely the ugliest current console. And the functional design (with the separate power brick) is just bizarre compared to the PS4.

Maximus P

I'm okay with MS and Sony announcing their "upgraded" revisions in June. More the reason for me to sell my consoles and just build a PC.

We don't know is this is going to an upgrade in the graphical hardware sense. (although it is rumored)

This could just be a slim/elite console as we've seen in previous generations.

kennyamr

2 more months for E3.
we may have up to 3 new console reveals this year...
I think it's unprecedented? I'm not sure but E3 is definitely not dying any time soon.
What a year!

T.O.P

Banned
A slim version even without the BD drive would be quite nice

I need a second one for the gym room since i use Fitness a lot

This VHS recorder could definitely use a redesign.

I've never had an issue with how the XB1 looks or it's size. It fit's nicely in my entertainment set-up, it matches the rest of my gear, it runs whisper quiet and never gets hot. I suspect that 90% of the people who poke fun at it, don't own one. Do you?

Maximus P

I'm actually OK with the size and style of the Xbox one. Its almost the exact same size as my SKY HD box which sits on the shelf below it and together they look neat.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmm, I recently got a Xbox One Elite but haven't opened it yet. Don't really see any games I'd currently play on it besides Sunset and Rare. I'm wondering if I should return it. Got it because I got it at a good price for $400.

oti

Banned
I've never had an issue with how the XB1 looks or it's size. It fit's nicely in my entertainment set-up, it matches the rest of my gear, it runs whisper quiet and never gets hot. I suspect that 90% of the people who poke fun at it, don't own one. Do you?

Don't start this game with me. I own all the consoles.

Hasney

Like when? In the 90's? It's definitely the ugliest current console. And the functional design (with the separate power brick) is just bizarre compared to the PS4.

No, 2006. It's much nicer looking than the PS3 or 360. Just PS4 and Nintendo are better.

Banned
Xbox One slim with the power supply inside. All matte please.

Or there really is an Xbox 10 coming.
This is trademarked by 10k, referencing the Xbox one enhanced for 4K media and built on oculus support. Matches the windows version name. Backwards compatible with all Xbox One games. Not a new generation. Just an optional sku to play games at a higher visual fidelity.

Stike

Gotta love juicy rumors.

Good to see that MS are making their move, forcing Sony to stop being so coy about PS4k. Can't wait for the details giving me more reasons not to upgrade :p

True Fire

Worst kept secret. In a way I'm happy Sony and Microsoft are playing on an even field as the NX though. Nintendo needs the competition.

ekim

I kind of wonder if the 1682 listing is a new controller or accessory.

Controllers are tested as they are and thus named "wireless control device" or something like this. And I don't think the controller will use normal wireless lan frequencies. :p

Scrawnton

I have both an Xbox and a PS4 and I enjoy them both but I plan on only buying one of the .5 versions if they make them. Whichever company brings me a 4K blu ray player first with some game graphics bumps will get my money first.

TBiddy

The result of the external PSU is that it is more quiet than the PS4. I don't agree with the decision, but I can see why they made it.

I'm surprised you'd call it "ugly". It's pretty neutral, in my opinion.

univbee

I own one and yeah, it's embarrassingly large, especially with the external brick if you don't have somewhere else for it to go, and the Kinect may have limited options for where it can go as well due to having a very short cable with no real extension options. It can "fit" but in some setups you can easily get two consoles in the same space that the XB1 and everything needed for it to work would take up. Depending on what you use the XB1 for, it can even take up more space than a Genesis/MD+SegaCD+32x setup.

Don't start this game with me. I own all the consoles.

Well...congrats on that. Just saying, not everyone doesn't like how the XB1 looks, and I stand by my opinion that most people who like to say it's ugly or looks like a VCR, don't own one. Anyway, the whole VCR joke is kinda 2013' isn't it? It's time to move on.

Top Bottom