• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAV has generated approximately 3 Billion Dollars in Sales since Launch

I know I started another thread detailing how much the Online Portion of GTA has generated but I thought that this deserved its own spin off thread as many people have wondered exactly how much money GTAV has generated. It seems from the court documents we have a final answer in terms of how much this behemoth has made for Take Two in total revenue.

GTA 5’s release broke seven Guinness World Records and thrilled fans around the globe. To date, GTA 5 has generated approximately $3 billion in sales.

The info comes from the court documents for the Leslie Benzies case. It can be found on page 4, article 13. In this document.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/308200451/Benzies-v-Rockstar

Mods can lock if they feel it doesn't deserve its own thread but this kind of info I felt does.

Erekiddo

3 billion you say?

blog-banner-dr-evil.png

The court documents are an eye opener but also have some interesting sales data for all GTA LTD sales.

GTA 1 - 2 million
GTA 2 - 1 million
GTA 3 - 25 million
GTA VC - 25 million
GTA SA - 30 million
GTA IV - 25 million

Man who needs Bully 2, Red Dead 3 and Agent when you can make that amount of money on a single game. All hands on deck for GTA VI.
Come On Rockstar don't be greedy now, spread that cash to other franchises.

liquidtmd

Banned
GTAV simply doesn't go down in price at retail either.

PS4 GTAV is absolutely still a full price title at pretty much all game shops, here in the UK at least. Thats pretty much unheard of, or at least very rare

Ploid 3.0

I'm part of the problem. Waiting for PC version for the next game. GTAO was a pain especially at the start with the constant nerf and removal of features because they didn't want people farming missions quick (not exploiting missions).

Single dip, PS3 digital version only.

_woLf

It helps that they were able to successfully re-launch the game on different platforms twice and got lots of double and triple dippers.

GeoramA

GTAV simply doesn't go down in price at retail either.

PS4 GTAV is absolutely still a full price title at pretty much all game shops, here in the UK at least. Thats pretty much unheard of, or at least very rare
Yeah the cheapest I've seen it on PSN was like $47. It's kinda ridiculous, but people keep buying it so what the hell.

Imagine what the budget for GTAVI will be. More than likely it may be the most expensive game budget in history, they could quite easily afford it and justify it.

Turkoop

Banned
If I remember right, GTAV cost more than 265 million, they could invest into the next Red Dead maybe more - maybe if they started coding Agent from the beginning, they also could top GTAV costs.

Thabass

Rockstar North is just an amazing developer. Seriously impressed with what they do each game they put out.

Red Dead Redemption 2 pls

If I remember right, GTAV cost more than 265 million, they could invest into the next Red Dead maybe more - maybe if they started coding Agent from the beginning, they also could top GTAV costs.

I'm thinking GTAVI will eclipse V's budget due to it being a sure seller for 20+ million copies not to mention the fortune in micro transactions.

While Red Dead 3 will be massive I don't think it will do GTAV numbers. So they may keep the budget under that. GTAVI will be a shoe in for a colossal budget though.

Turkoop

Banned
I'm thinking GTAVI will eclipse V's budget due to it being a sure seller for 20+ million copies not to mention the fortune in micro transactions.

While Red Dead 3 will be massive I don't think it will do GTAV numbers. So they may keep the budget under that. GTAVI will be a shoe in for a colossal budget though.
Maybe they can finally code more than one city, this could be groundbreaking.
And I hope they will develop old IPs as Bully or a new Max Payne. They generated enough money for this generation.

Shadoken

Good lord.
So its the best money ranking game of all time or what?

Maybe on consoles as a AAA retail game it might be true. But Arcade games made some serious $$$ during their peak.

And even with F2P games like League and Dota which keep generating money for years they might have made more. But its not really fair to compare them to one single Retail game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bought it on 360, PS4 & XB1. I'd have bought it on PC if my friends intended on doing the same, but they play on XB1.

Game barely ever drops in price either.

krang

I'm LTTP, and just completed the final mission about an hour ago, funnily enough. No lie.

Completely deserved, IMO. What an incredible world Rockstar created in Los Santos. I hope the next instalment allows travel back there and the whole city - even if it's not part of the main story.

Twookie

Man, it's crazy to think that a single game
with multiple versions
has created so much money

hard to wrap your head around, damn

Well, that explains what they've been doing ever since they made that lie about GTAV single player DLC.

Swimming in gigantic pools of fucking money.

Man, it's crazy to think that a single game
with multiple versions
has created so much money

hard to wrap your head around, damn

Yeah actually, I am completely amazed at how well GTAV sold...MULTIPLE TIMES.

It's nuts really.

Mr Swine

Banned
With all this money they raked in, think they will port the game to the NX platform or do they think it's not worth the investment even if the game would sell 1-2 million?

MilesTeg

Banned
Bit of a stretch to say it never drops in price. Its been $40 many times. That being said I've never seen it below $40 new. I dont think anyway.

Beatrix

Well I guess we can expect GTA6 to really incorporate online features and micro-transactions. I wonder what direction Rockstar will go for GTA6's single player mode, so many possibilities I can see them add.

Top Bottom