• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMC responds to 'texting' controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

NO TEXTING AT AMC. Won't happen. You spoke. We listened. Quickly, that idea has been sent to the cutting room floor.

CgFohVjUsAAQCbQ.jpg

https://twitter.com/AMCTheatres/status/720972338699702272

It doesn't make you look that much better to say "we listened" because it was a horrendously awful idea to even have in the first place.

I don't even get why the idea was on the table to begin with. If you're so uninterested in the movie that you need to text then just get up and leave. If it's an emergency then get up and leave, send your text, and then come back in.

All is right with the world.

But to be honest I did like the cheaper ticket prices for a texting allowed room idea thrown around.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'll still text, just turn the brightness down and shield the light a bit. If you just attempt to be an alright person while doing it, it's not hard to pull off.

kmag

Look it could work

You'd just need a specific section for people who want to text at the back of the room.

Of course you'd also need to install a trapdoor over a pit of razor sharp barbed spikes coated in Popcorn salt under that section for it work, but lets not rule anything out here. Don't forget in order for the trapdoor to be silent it'll need to be lubricated with the blood of AMC execs (the only thing slicker than oil)

I don't even get why the idea was on the table to begin with. If you're so uninterested in the movie that you need to text then just get up and leave. If it's an emergency then get up and leave, send your text, and then come back in.

because there was likely decent business in charging more for a texting screening and also there's a good chance that an idiot texting the whole time during the film will have missed most of it and want to see it again.

but fuck the whole idea in general. I would be completely about a theater that blocks cell phone reception so that even those that are weak willed and lacking of an attention span are left with no choice but to put the thing away

I am curious to know how Drafthouse enforces their policies without interfering in the enjoyment of the film for others? I imagine ejecting someone for talking or texting during a film would create a certain amount of commotion.

I'll still text, just turn the brightness down and shield the light a bit. If you just attempt to be an alright person while doing it, it's not hard to pull off.

Congrats on being willfully inconsiderate of those around you who paid good money to watch a movie.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Texting isn't a Millennial thing. It's an inconsiderate person thing. I'm glad there's a backtrack but it's always shitty seeing generations being thrown under the bus.

The last thread about this was funny with those people actually supporting the use of phones. Seems to me the overwhelming vast majority of the paying customer base ain't down for that base on their response. Wanna use your phone while you watch a movie? Go home and rent a movie. If you text or use your phone during the movie you are an asshole and deserve the hate you get from the people around you.

Jacob

Good. It's not like they're able to stop people from looking at their phone in the theatre, but at least don't encourage it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Congratulations for still being an asshole.

Tou can still see a reduced brightness screen, no matter how well you hide it or lower.

Leave the theater if you can't remove yourself from your addiction for 2 hours.

zma1013

I saw some kind of illustration somewhere about an idea to make a large soundproof clear bubble in the theater where all the annoying people can sit with each other and listen to babies crying and phones ringing and keeps them seperate from everyone who actually want to watch the movie.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

If I am sitting behind you to your side, I can still see your light.

Timeless

As much as I hate it, one wonders if we're in the minority. If they did it right, they could have special phone-showings of movies as long as there were enough normal screenings to keep other people happy.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
If I am sitting behind you to your side, I can still see your light.

If you're sitting behind me to my side, I won't do it. I don't tend to attend movies that aren't packed.

EDIT: Changed to "aren't"
Congratulations for still being an asshole.

Tou can still see a reduced brightness screen, no matter how well you hide it or lower.

Leave the theater if you can't remove yourself from your addiction for 2 hours.

Congrats on being willfully inconsiderate of those around you who paid good money to watch a movie.

I appreciate that the congratulations. I really do.

zma1013

is this just DURING the movie or do they mean before it starts too?

who the fuck texts during movies?

There's at least 1 person at every movie I go to who are playing on their phone. They are usually sitting in front of me so I have to see bright ass phone lights going on and off during the movie. I think some of them are posting on Neogaf asking if the movie gets better.

shagia

alright, lol

I can understand those who feel that it's a ridiculous rule, but I feel it's more about thoughtfulness of who you're around, even if you turn your screen brightness down. if you need to use your phone, just take a few seconds to walk out the theater room, and do what you have to do.

shout out to Alamo Drafthouse

Maxim726X

It doesn't make you look that much better to say "we listened" because it was a horrendously awful idea to even have in the first place.

Of course it does.

They brought an idea to the public, they responded loudly, and AMC backed down.

That's exactly how changes should go down.

I saw some kind of illustration somewhere about an idea to make a large soundproof clear bubble in the theater where all the annoying people can sit with each other and listen to babies crying and phones ringing and keeps them seperate from everyone who actually want to watch the movie.
they have those

it's called a drive in theater

To be honest I wouldn't mind this if it were designated to special screenings. I would just never go to them. I can't fathom the type of person who wants to pay $10 or $15 to go in a dark, loud room and stare at their phone for two hours. You could do that at home for free.

Saganator

Your attempt at being an "alright person" is failing miserably as an alright person doesn't fucking text in a movie theater. You're still in "selfish ass" zone.

Dude are you serious? Just cause you block the light doesn't mean I still can't see it a few rows back from you. That shit is so annoying.

samn

No. It doesn't work. I've seen people try, it's still really bright, it's still really annoying, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

imBask

Banned
There's at least 1 person at every movie I go to who are playing on their phone. They are usually sitting in front of me so I have to see bright ass phone lights going on and off during the movie. I think some of them are posting on Neogaf asking if the movie gets better.

i've never been distracted by a phone at the movies, I guess i'm the crazy one or I live in a place where people understand basic etiquette...

I mean you're already paying wayyyy to much to enjoy a movie, enjoy the movie fuck your phone

because there was likely decent business in charging more for a texting screening and also there's a good chance that an idiot texting the whole time during the film will have missed most of it and want to see it again.

but fuck the whole idea in general. I would be completely about a theater that blocks cell phone reception so that even those that are weak willed and lacking of an attention span are left with no choice but to put the thing away
Blocking cell phone reception would probably be a safety hazard.

Yay now people can keep texting in the regular theaters.

this wasn't going to stop that unfortunately because jerks still exist regardless of this policy
Blocking cell phone reception would be a safety hazard.

if only we had like, i dont know, lets say almost a hundred years of having zero cell phone reception in theaters without it being an issue

if only that had happened in human history for us to see that we can indeed be perfectly fine without cellphone reception for 2-3 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom