• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Reveals 2 New VR Games, Release Dates for Edge of Nowhere, Song of the Deep

Loudninja

Feral Rites - Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6FFSzb_XXI

Avenge the death of your father by fighting your way through missions and quests in this VR adventure-brawler. Set on a mystical island, explore unique areas of the island from jungles to temples, while mastering new abilities including the power to transform into a feral beast. Below is the reveal trailer, and our first screenshots from the game, which will appear on the Oculus Store in Fall 2016. Feral Rites will be playable at E3 this year.

The Unspoken - Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A0QPOMJzuo

An Oculus Touch‐enabled VR action game that pulls players into a hidden world of spellcasting and magician’s duels. Manipulate the environment around you with the powerful arcane forces that flow through your fingertips, summon ghastly monstrosities with your bare hands, and rise up through the ranks of an urban magic fight club in supernatural PVP combat. Check out the reveal trailer below, and our first screenshots from the game, which will release in November 2016. Attending media got to go hands-on with The Unspoken, so look for their impressions online. The Unspoken will also be playable at E3.

Song of the Deep - Merryn's Voyage
http://www.insomniacgames.com/insomniac-reveals-2-new-vr-games-release-dates-edge-nowhere-song-deep/

Launching one game in a year can be a complex, exciting, and occasionally nerve-wracking endeavor. Developing five games simultaneously for 2016 launches on console, PC and VR might sound as crazy as it sometimes feels, but that’s just what we’re doing here at Insomniac. And we’re loving it.

To share (almost) everything we have going on inside the studio, we decided to host our first-ever Insomniac Games media event, spanning two days late last week for journalists and YouTube/Twitch streamers. This is one of the reasons why we love being an independent developer – not only can we make the kind of games we love playing, but we can share them with you in our own special way.

Of course, that meant our publishing partners had to agree to support each other, which is not always that common. Oculus, GameStop and PlayStation could not have been more gracious though. That spirit of collaboration is one of the many things we appreciate about each partner.

Now, onto the games! First, we revealed two new VR franchises, both for Oculus Rift. Here’s a bit more info, but be sure to check out their respective game pages on our website:
As part of our VR-related announcements, we shared that Edge of Nowhere will be available in the Oculus Store on Monday, June 6. Price details to come soon.

While VR is an important focus at Insomniac, we’re very proud of our unique partnership with GameStop and Song of the Deep. The game is about how far a young girl will go to find her missing father in the depths of a vast ocean. Song of the Deep is a Metroidvania-style 2D adventure game. We announced at our media event that it will land exclusively on GameStop shelves Tuesday, July 12, along with Xbox Live, PlayStation Store and Steam.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/insomniac-reveals-2-new-vr-games-release-dates-edge-nowhere-song-deep/

Warxard

Banned
I wish Feral Rites was a non-VR game. :c

But I'm seriously excited to hear the reception for Edge of Nowhere.

First part of The Unspoken traiiler looked cool... until the gameplay part.

I kinda felt the same way.

Song of the deep trailer was super cool though. Im actually getting excited for it now.

I wish Insomniac was releasing more games I could play on PS4 though.

VLiberty

3 vr games...why Insomniac

I'll be getting Song of the deep although not on day one. R&C, on the other hand...can't wait for tomorrow night

AAK

Jason Rubin putting in the work. He managing to have 3 exclusive games by Insomniac released this early in the platform's lifecycle.

FelipeMGM

Wow, Feral Rites is from the Sunset Overdrive team, and Marcus Smith (the director) is describing as a ''Zelda exploration meets God Of War combat''

Sounds awesome

Gamespot said:
The player can choose whether to play as a male or female main character, and will be able to transform into different beasts to use special abilities and powers. The concept art revealed thus far has a Celtic myth vibe.

Players will be able to fight in a combo-based combat system and unlock extra gear to customize their character. Gameplay isn't just limited to fighting on the ground either--mid-air combos and executions will be a part of the combat.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ze...w-action-ga/1100-6438917/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Fret

The Unspoken seems like a standing only Hover Junkers, and I'm presuming Feral Rites is a gamepad vr game, which we've seen many of over the years. Not particuarly interesting but I hope they're good

Floody

Wow, Feral Rites is from the Sunset Overdrive team, and Marcus Smith (the director) is descibing as a ''Zelda exploration meets GoW combat''

Sounds awesome

Which GoW? A Spectacle Fighter VR game could be really fun, also probably make you throw up if done poorly though.

Edit: Nevermind, seen you added a bit more. That could be really great.

kami_sama

The Unspoken looked extremely cool at first, but the game wasn't what I expected, although it could be great. Looks like some sort of "rock, paper, scissors" in VR with magic and shit.

Whilst it's not to everyone's cup of tea, you gottta hand it to Insomniac, Five titles in a year is impressive.

Do they have multiple studios?

Fady K

I wonder if they'll stay exclusive to Oculus or land on PSVR eventually given their good relationship with Sony.

Wollan

(reposting from newer thread):

Seems like Insomniac is all about medium-sized projects across a variety of vendors these days (Oculus, Sony, Microsoft, Gamestop).
Loving their Virtual Reality initiative.

Oneself

SOTD is mine day one. It's the only one I can get since I won't own the Oculus and R&C blows me away since day one.

Z3M0G

First part of The Unspoken traiiler looked cool... until the gameplay part.

Serious? It was the gameplay that caught my attention...

Yeah, I felt that way a bit. Love the idea of magicians in a contemporary city setting. Not so sure about the hand waving bit.

Wow, so you are not sure about interactive VR as a whole? :/

Edit: Ok, the game mechanics may be shallow... but using your hands in VR is going to be very important going forward... people shouldn't turn their noses up to that...

In VR, having glowing hands and seeing those magic effects for yourself should be fantastic.

I'm not happy about these being Oculus only titles... needs some PSVR love.

Wollan

Edge of Nowhere now having a date (June 6th) is very nice. Been my most wanted Oculus game since announcement.
Fan of H.P Lovecraft (and Insomniac).

DrArchon

Song of the Deep coming out sooner than I expected. Great to see! And perfect timing seeing as nothing seems to come out in the summer, so I should have plenty of time to play it.

insomniac seems to be taking the Double Fine approach of multiple smaller projects over doing big productions.

Not sure how i feel about it but i guess if it keeps them afloat then so be it

Alienous

They're really throwing everything at the VR wall to see what sticks, aren't they?

Anyway I'd rather it be them than any other developer. They know how to make really good games.

insomniac seems to be taking the Double Fine approach of multiple smaller projects over doing big productions.

I think that might be a good way for VR to go in general. Smaller titles rather than huge $60 ones. Somewhere between a movie experience and a typical gaming experience in length.

Guymelef

Serious? It was the gameplay that caught my attention...

Wow, so you are not sure about interactive VR as a whole? :/

Edit: Ok, the game mechanics may be shallow... but using your hands in VR is going to be very important going forward... people shouldn't turn their noses up to that...

In VR, having glowing hands and seeing those magic effects for yourself should be fantastic.

I'm not happy about these being Oculus only titles... needs some PSVR love.

The problem is the only interaction comes from moving both hands.

kennyamr

cool... I guess.

Developing a couple of VR games is great.
Doing several VR titles is a bit worrisome.

It's ok to explore new markets, just don't forget traditional games.

Zukkoyaki

I would play Feral Rites if it were non-VR. I'm skeptical that a third-person action adventure can receive any benefit whatsoever from VR.

The Unspoken is an awesome concept but the game didn't look enjoyable, at least in that trailer. I'm getting early Wii vibes sort of like Red Steel 1 from this game.

Song of the Deep is on my radar. I love Metroidvanias and I love the presentation/music thus far.

Ratchet & Clank is amazing. Well on my way to the platinum.

Edge of Nowhere is the most fascinating game they have on the horizon. Could be something pretty awesome but we will see.

I'm very happy for Insomniac releasing FIVE games in one year. Historically they're one of my favorite developers and you get a real sense that they enjoy what they do and make the games they want to play. I hope they find success on Oculus!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to split out a couple threads about the individual new VR games, so don't be too shocked if you see what look like duplicate threads.

I guess no more imfamous games coming ? Seems like a waste of talent . Why not keep that amazing looking engine at least and stick vr into it.

Edit: wrong studio ? Oops

These all look pretty great, I'm not too sure about Song of the Deep as I usually don't enjoy underwater sections of games, though I love Metroidvanias so I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

I'm all in for their VR games though, both of them look really cool and I'll definitely be picking them up day 1.

Expect alot of salty comments from VR haters that need to find yet another way to shit on something they're too stupid to understand.

I'm gonna link this here in case any idiots feel an overwhelming need to shit up this and the other threads about these games - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1201636

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

They could just be backing off their regular cycle of one big production per year and instead giving those a little more room to grow over a 2 year cycle instead. Launching some small to mid-size projects in between seems like a good way to go.

Top Bottom