• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero |OT| The Fox Awakens

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fully expected to hate the control scheme, but it clicked the moment I started the forced tutorial upon bootup. Motion controls work shockingly well and I haven't had much issue looking down at the gamepad for those rare moments I need to fine tune a shot.

Been getting silver medals on every stage my first attempt so far, and even came 4 hits away from gold on my most recent stage. Literally 1.5 hours of play so far.

I do find the forced perspective sequences the most problematic though, usually against certain bosses as I would probably be doing much better if those sequences just functioned as standard 'all range' moments. Still, I guess the idea was to keep the danger threat always on screen to avoid constant off-screen hit madness(such as giant laser targeting always in view). Still, just not liking those(or at least toggle that perspective with the lock-on button).

Also wish there was greater customization with the controls. Would have liked a trigger toggle for screen swap instead of the (-) button, as it would be more comfortable just swapping the image with a quick modifier than looking down(and minus is uncomfortable to reach). Plus I would love to alter the R-stick and face button mapping around. Still, I am digging this far more than I ever expected. FAR more.

Kinda amazing that after the amazing tutorial I went from "Hmm, I'm not really feeling these controls...." to grinning like an idiot at the end. Just messing around with Training Mode now.

Not every concept works and it apes Star Fox 64 a little too much, but it's goddamn SF64 and it clicks after a while. I'd love to see them build and improve on this.

By the way, was the boss of Sector a supposed to be
Mechbeth? If so, I am royally upset they changed his glorious voice

Yea, the forced perspective isn't that fun. I'm having a heck of a time on the Corneria portal boss. It wouldn't be as bad if it didn't get rid of your crosshair.

Then my battery died.

Oh well.

I like how this game knows when a good time to throw nostalgia at you is, and when it's time to do something new. Also found it funny Corneria's theme has bits of SNES Venom in it, which was the theme used on Corneria in Smash Bros.

Speaking of which, Wolf has the sickest potential final smash from this game.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like the cinematic stuff should be in some kind of replay system, because it's really dumb. It just takes away control, IMO.

I find myself not really using first person until it feels completely necessary.

Yeah the forced perspective is really the worst part, other then that I'm pretty impressed. The controls clicked pretty quickly to me and while I feel like I could get a lot better I don't find them ruining my enjoyment. They should make the "only motion control when shooting" the standard though since it really smoothes out any issues I might have had.

Fuck Aquarosa.

What a frustrating boss, and I'm not even sure why it needs fixed perspective, as its weak spot isn't even where the game locks you on to...

I find myself barely even using motion controls and just playing the game like Star Fox 64, with occasional motion control sections when required.

MomoQca

Okay, this might be off-topic but it's worth a shot. I hope it's alright to post this here.

The Star Fox short animation does not have subtitles/closed captioning. As a deaf individual, I cannot understand what is being said (ugh! lip-reading is impossible), which is really unfortunate and damn frustrating. Hell, NONE of the videos from the official Nintendo Youtube channel include any subtitles. Considering Nintendo's wide appeal and popularity, they should be obligated to making all of their videos accessible for everyone, including the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing population.

So here's my question to you guys:

Who/where can I contact Nintendo regarding this issue?

I didn't think I would but I really like the Gyrocopter levels. I think the slower more deliberate pace with less going on lends itself better to the controls. Plus being able to strafe with motion controls feels better than the awkward Walker controls where I wish I could strafe while gyro aiming.

Okay, this might be off-topic but it's worth a shot. I hope it's alright to post this here.

The Star Fox short animation does not have subtitles/closed captioning. As a deaf individual, I cannot understand what is being said (ugh! lip-reading is impossible), which is really unfortunate and damn frustrating. Hell, NONE of the videos from the official Nintendo Youtube channel include any subtitles. Considering Nintendo's wide appeal and popularity, they should be obligated to making all of their videos accessible for everyone, including the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing population.

So here's my question to you guys:

Who/where can I contact Nintendo regarding this issue?

1-800-255-3700 or organize something online to shame them. That'll get it fixed fast.

RomanceDawn

Just finished my first play through. Man that last boss was so hard!

I think the motion is spot on this game and I didn't even realize how well I was using until near the end. I didn't think I'd ever say it but I want this control scheme(for the most part) in a huge online multiplayer game. It's funny be has my biggest issue with the controls aren't the motion it's the right stick trigger. I get so into the game I press on that stick hard just trying to barrel roll and stuff and I end up shooting up precious bombs. Not only that but when I want to just boost and fly up I occasionally do an acrobatic maneuver. If X and B are assigned to popping and U turning why do they have to be on this stick as well? Wish I could customize that.

As for the 3rd person mode my advice is just treat those portions as 1st person entirely and only occasionally glance at your 3rd person to watch for enemies. At least in the big big boss fights, against Star Wolf or something use that to great effect.

I am so happy with this game so far. The acting isn't as good as it was in SF64(lol) but it's better than the forced bad acting of 643D.

The next step I suppose is just move the story forward from this game, and add in some insane multiplayer with plenty of stages and modes. The controls really work well and quickly too but you do need to give it a few levels chance.

Also what's the trick to getting high scores? Lock on shot the group of enemies with one blast then shoot them again as they die in balls of fire?

So as a bit of nostalgic moment SF64 and DKCR were my first two video games I got along with an N64. I remember there was a steep learning curve for me learning how to navigate through the game. This game similarly reminds me of that.

I've only played the first two missions and the training stuff and I don't have much issue with the controls so far. There's definitely a lot to learn but the controls havent been a detriment to my experience. I'm still learning when and where to switch between looking at first person and third person. However, I have gotten silver medals for the first two missions so that's not bad. Personally I feel if you played and enjoyed Splatoon then you'd probably be fine with Starfox from a controls perspective. Splatoon had a decent amount of people raging about the controls initially when it released as well. I remember there was a bit of a learning curve with the controls but Splatoon's were tailor made for it.

Seems pretty good so far. Got used to the controls really quickly and it's been fun so far. Not sure if the last level is awful or something, but I'm almost done with the first playthrough.
Unless the final boss stage shits the bed quality wise I don't get all the issues with controls.
It's also probably the best Star Fox game since 64 though that's not a hard title to achieve.
Might say it's better but I'd need to finish and replay it a bit first

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Usually don't post in OTs since they can kinda be circle jerky but wow this game met my expectations excellently even as someone who hates motion controls! After I got used to things it was just like playing a more precise SF64 which is exactly what I wanted. I came in expecting to be annoyed with the controls and left being very satisfied with the game as a whole. I'm not too big on the Gyrowing really but I didn't hate it like I thought I would so it didn't hamper my enjoyment! I'll probably jump into another route tomorrow and go through the stages I didn't hit since I want some more. :)

The next step I suppose is just move the story forward from this game, and add in some insane multiplayer with plenty of stages and modes. The controls really work well and quickly too but you do need to give it a few levels chance.

Also what's the trick to getting high scores? Lock on shot the group of enemies with one blast then shoot them again as they die in balls of fire?
The next step is hoping that Nintendo decides to continue the franchise on NX.

What I had always hoped to see in a future SF game is to incorporate some strategy elements back in the franchise but different than SF2 or SF:Command. Let's say the Lylat system is instead treated as a battlefield. The player and enemy each take turns where they can move their team around the Lylat Solar System. The Star Fox team can break off in different directions on the map and each play different stages. You can also recruit some pilots such as Bill to help you defend the Lylat System. The game can be beat really quickly or very slowly depending on your strategy. To beat the game you have to defend the Lylat system and prevent them from destroying Corneria, complete certain objectives like taking Star Wolf's team as well as any enemy bases and of course the final boss himself. You don't play a stage unless the enemy is in that location. Each stage is broken up and plays similarly to how SF0 is. Throw in co-op so another player can man an arwing as well as the assisted aiming mode. Online multiplayer would be fun especially if Nintendo was able to hold a large amount of players on it. A mission mode as well that received updates occasionally for more missions.

mrmickfran

What a frustrating boss, and I'm not even sure why it needs fixed perspective, as its weak spot isn't even where the game locks you on to...

I find myself barely even using motion controls and just playing the game like Star Fox 64, with occasional motion control sections when required.
You're playing it wrong man. The motion controls are a Godsend. They clicked for me in Corneria.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh yeah I just started playing again (needed a break lol) and beat Andross in one time. Thanks for the advice from earlier in the thread you know who you are :)

First playthrough was enjoyable, really good to play good 'ol Starfox again. I feel a sequel will happen, I just want to see what direction they could take this series since it seems to finally be back on have an identity.

Now for these hidden missions...Aquarosa was pretty straightforward. Never died at all.

I'll never understand why you guys do this to yourselves.

I just picked it up from one of the eight + different stores that have it, after work.

20% prime discount and expected to not have to run out again after coming home from work or stop on way home from work. Thought it'd be here waiting when I got home.

Since amazon started matching best buys 20% off new releases I get everything delivered pretty much.

jnWake

People are comparing this to kid icarus uprising? the controls are that bad? That comparison alone is putting me off and I am glad I didn't impulse pre-order,

Controls aren't similar at all to Kid Icarus Uprising. People only compare them because the controls are unconventional.

I'll disagree about Uprising having bad controls though. The precision allowed by the touch screen aiming is simply wonderful.

Just completed my first run and I REALLY enjoyed it. It feels so fucking good to play a new starfox game in 2016 and I can't remember the last time I smiled as much while playing a game.

HotHamBoy

Why is the game reviewing so poorly for a 1st Party Nintendo title in a long-neglected franchise on a system starved for content?

71 on Metacritic ATM.

Is it because it's $60? The double-standards people have on prices are crazy. The Witness caused shockwaves when they said it would be $40.

Neiteio

This is seriously like a Super Mario 64 leap in gameplay. Being able to shoot down swarms of enemies flying past you, above you, below you, etc, while flying/walking in a separate direction makes the gameplay so much more compelling.

mdubs

Banned
When this game is good, it's so good. When its bad, it's so bad.

Zoness (the first time through and the alt version with the arwing) is just terrible.

Corneria is such a good level though, man it feels good to be playing Star Fox again

This game is really weird. I like parts of it, and I don't like other parts of it.

I think my favorite levels were the regular-ass Arwing levels but the Landmaster stuff was pretty fun too. I wasn't crazy about the all-ranges mode stuff outside of the dogfights which were great once you get the hang of it.

Why is the game reviewing so poorly for a 1st Party Nintendo title in a long-neglected franchise on a system starved for content?

71 on Metacritic ATM.

Is it because it's $60? The double-standards people have on prices are crazy. The Witness caused shockwaves when they said it would be $40.

It's frankly a very unusual title and definitely one that doesn't have universal appeal at all. It's also not really a perfect game though doing black arwing (Borrowed a friend's falco amiibo) against lone wolf might be one of the most exhilarating gaming experiences I've had all year thus far, I could play that boss fight forever lol. It's also a game that could really benefit from rebindable controls but I've adjusted. Also screw aquarosa in the black arwing, that stuff isn't easy when you die in two hits.

I'm somewhat impressed with how they managed to fit the gyrowing into the campaign even if the arwing/Walker combo is more intense. Frankly the game demands so much that I'm glad something slower exists. I've even found a trick with the direct I going fishing for enemies, seriously the animation's hilarious.

It's also hard to get people to buy $60 arcade games. This is a game that you get the most out of if you go for completion, not just beating it.

Also I really like the fact that they tracked all 19 possible routes through the game with their own score in arcade mode, neat improvement over 64's single score. There are 19 possible runs that people can master and that is just amazing.

Jagsrock

Banned
So far I'm actually liking the motion controls. Having the cockpit view on the gamepad is also a lot more helpful then i thought it would be. Loving this game.

Tadpole

This is the magic of the motion controls... When you fly over an enemy and "look down" to hit the weak spot on the top of their head. At that moment I feel like I understand miyamoto-san's vision.

So fun.

This is the magic of the motion controls... When you fly over an enemy and "look down" to hit the weak spot on the top of their head. At that moment I feel like I understand miyamoto-san's vision.

So fun.

I was watching the Giantbomb Quick Look and saw the spider type enemies with glowing spots on their heads facing upwards. My instinct then was maybe those are what you have to gyro aim to hit while you fly above them, but the player was just flying toward them shooting which didn't seem that effective though it did defeat them eventually. Are those the type of enemies you are referencing?

So fun.

It feels like the dream at times that I thought motion controls would have at the wii launch at times. I'm surprised at how much I've been enjoying the all range mode, but I realized that 64 was tuned as a rail shooter which made it too fidgety for the all range mode, zero doesn't have that issue and is largely smooth when you want to adjust aim (aside from the somewhat high sensitivity, and there's no range slider for some Reason? Not a fan at all) plus the damaged ship bonuses keep it dynamic to play. There's also more agressive AI on the field and more enemy shot types than just barrel rolling through everything.

I think it's an above average game overall. Not amazing in every respect, but quite appealing to someone like me. However, the fact that there's like 5 different vehicles that all handle differently in very substantial ways makes the first playthrough unimpressive I feel. It definitely improved on subsequent runs, especially with the balck arwing and having double charge shots all time. You have no idea how much fun double charge shots are in all range mode.

Tadpole

I was watching the Giantbomb Quick Look and saw the spider type enemies with glowing spots on their heads facing upwards. My instinct then was maybe those are what you have to gyro aim to hit while you fly above them, but the player was just flying toward them shooting which didn't seem that effective though it did defeat them eventually. Are those the type of enemies you are referencing?

Yup those spider enemies.

goomba

Banned
Got the game today. It's Starfox 64 on steroids, enjoying it. Controls are great. Didnt realise you can just use the left stick to move and aim n64 style but also have the gyro controls to aim and move in differnt directions.

I'm finding it much tougher than Starfox 64, in a good way. Theres some good challenge here.

Already one of my favourite games this gen.

olimpia84

I'm really enjoying this so far. Admittedly, a lot of nostalgia is involved for me since SF64 is one of my favorite games ever and I have so many fond memories of it.

Same here, but the more I play the more I'm getting used to the cockpit motion controls. I think it's really fun to have both option controls and switch on the fly.

El Odio

Banned
Been doing coop on a few levels and it's ridiculous fun. Teaming up to take down the aquaross is just flat out cool.

I see potential but the controls haven't clicked with me yet. I'm fluctuating between moments of exhilaration and frustration seconds apart. I actually enjoyed the first Gyrowing level though.

71 on Metacritic ATM.

Controls aside, the game's structure could be seen as antiquated, especially for a full priced game.

Spoiler tag if you must, but can anyone say if the other continuities (SNES, 64 to Command) are referenced?

If they are, does it tie into the dimensional portals?

Spoiler tag if you must, but can anyone say if the other continuities (SNES, 64 to Command) are referenced?

If they are, does it tie into the dimensional portals?

Not really, though Sauria was mentioned in the promotional animated short.

Edit:
Though James getting sucked into a warp makes it slightly similar to SNES, and Andross is a bit of a middleground between N64 Ape-Head and SNES Polygon-Head.

Top Bottom