• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles Ahead |OT| - Don't call it jazz man

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNaranja

mUWWQ4j.jpg

Pick a tune and get in the mood.

So what is this, a biopic about Miles Davis?

No, not really. The movie actually introduces several fictional characters and a fictional event that act as the main plot of the movie, while providing flashbacks that give you a glimpse into the life of Miles Davis. Here was the thought process behind making the film from first time director Don Cheadle himself.

Don Cheadle said:
"I think we've got to make a movie about this dude as a gangster" — 'cause that's how I feel about Miles Davis. He's a G. All those apocryphal stories about how bold and dynamic he was, the gangster shit he'd do ... you could fit all that into a biopic, I guess. But I just thought, let's do a movie that Miles Davis would say, 'I want to be the star of that movie. Not the one about me. The one where I'm the fucker running it, and I tell everybody what happens.'" Take the music he made in 1950 and put it over scenes set in 1978, or take his 1965 album and drop it into 1945. Just do it without the constraints of any rules. Make some mistakes, go crazy, crash into a wall — anything but something fucking cookie-cutter.

Staring:

OaCaVji.png

Apart from staring in this movie, Don Cheadle also directed, produced and co-wrote this movie. Don Cheadle is an Oscar nominated, Golden Globe winner who has been described as the "Donald Trump of black humorists." Cheadle had been trying to make this movie for about 10 years but kept having trouble getting the money to make it. He eventually got help from Indiegogo to finish it up. However, it was the casting of Ewan McGreggor that really helped this film finally see the light of day.​

k9MDOeZ.png

Ewan McGregor plays a fictional Rolling Stones reporter who accompanies Miles on his fictional journey. Ewan's casting was actually integral to getting this movie financed. As Don Cheadle told Rolling Stone's David Fear: "To get this film financed, we needed a white co-star. These are issues that come into play. And until Ewan came on, until we had cast the proper white co-star, there was no Miles Davis movie. There was no Miles Ahead. The family had been trying to make this movie for years, and we straight-up told them, 'We need a white co-star. We need to tell this story, in order to get this money, with a white male lead.' That means something."

K0BzYVR.png

Emayatzy Corinealdi plays Frances Taylor, the first wife of Miles Davis. Frances was featured on the cover of the album Someday My Prince Will Come. The love scenes between her and Miles in the film are "factually based." According to Frances Taylor, she "gave (Cheadle) a LOT of information" about [her] intimate relationship with Miles."
eNVbdk2.png

71% on Rotten Tomatoes.
New York Times said:
Purists may howl, but they’ll also miss the pleasure and point of this playfully impressionistic movie.

A.V. Club said:
Cheadle demonstrates some talent behind the camera ... He's also predictably charismatic as Davis, capturing the man's raspy voice, hard stare, and infinite swagger.

Washington Post said:
Miles Ahead isn't interested in gritty realism. It isn't really interested in facts at all. But it does seem to capture some essence of Davis that alone would make the movie worth watching, even without the killer soundtrack.

Time Magazine said:
The story has too many moving parts, and Cheadle can't keep them all in play gracefully-but his portrayal of this fantasy Miles seems to strike an almost cosmic connection with the spirit of a man we could never really know.

Official Trailer

TV Spot

I cannot wait for this thing.

I'm also fairly certain this is going to break the world record for "motherfuckers" contained in a single feature film. By like, double.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. I heard Cheadle had been wanting to do this but didn't know it actually happened. Excited.

Watched this today. Some great scenes and loved Corinealdi's and Cheadle's performances. But the movie itself was a bit of a hit and miss for me. Didn't really work as a whole.

Dominator

About to watch this right now, pretty pumped when I saw it was showing very close near me. I'm the only one in the theater lol, will update this post with impressions after.

EDIT: Late impressions but better than none. I really enjoyed it. I had the whole room to myself so I just absorbed it as I sat dead center in peace. Cheadle was able to accurately portray Miles and I was impressed. The editing was very nice. Pretty standard directing but for Cheadle's first effort it was quite good. You could see his passion for the project from all angles. I recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom