• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: Steam Workshop Support for Mega Drive Classics is straight up ROM HACKS

Salsa

fae8Ab2.png

cray

CRAY

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sega is really getting the most out of their Genesis-era games. Not just this stuff, but the 3D Classics series too.

Valkrai

Finally I can play Sonic 2 XL on Steam.

Incredible news from Sega, this announcement for the Mega Drive Classics Hub came out of nowhere.

JMTHEFOX

This is great news. It would be interesting to have Altered Beast Arcade voice romhack and Sonic Megamix on the workshop for the Mega Drive Hub.

When it comes to modded ROMs, I'm a total noob. Since you all look very excited about this, could you tell me what the possibilities are, aside from fan translations? Why should I be excited?

I imagine there's a lot of red tape with what gets to stay on the Workshop, but essentially as long as it only contains license-free assets or assets from a game you own in that collection, that's probably something they'd allow.

I feel it might be a messy process to moderate, but it's a very cool development in terms of what you as a user are entitled to by owning a specific product, an acknowledgment of the modding scene as well.

jediyoshi

I imagine there's a lot of red tape with what gets to stay on the Workshop, but essentially as long as it only contains license-free assets or assets from a game you own in that collection, that's probably something they'd allow.

I feel it might be a messy process to moderate, but it's a very cool development in terms of what you as a user are entitled to by owning a specific product, an acknowledgment of the modding scene as well.

In practice, every Workshop I've seen is a complete wild west

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...edfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...edfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home

Finally the days of SEGA being more hip and cool than Nintendo are back, it's been way too long.
I might actually install Steam for this.

Wonder how easy/hard it is to mod a Genesis game. Always wanted to mod Alien Soldier even tho I suck at it.

Sega is really getting the most out of their Genesis-era games. Not just this stuff, but the 3D Classics series too.

Hopefully this means they're noticing the value in their IP again. Maybe even give the Dreamcast stuff another shot. Praying for some Saturn stuff as well.

Nzyme32

Sega kicking ass! Can't wait to mess with it and see things evolve over time with so many different games

There is no red tape at all. It's completely open wildwest style as are pretty much all Steam Workshop endeavours.

The only time this is different is with paid content which is curated by the developer in general along with the community.

Dinjoralo

Well, I'm glad I have some of those collection games, for... Some reason. Sonic generations, maybe?

Now I'm curious what's going to be allowed, exactly. Only rom hacks of games in the collection? Or can literally anything be put up, including translations of japan-only games?

I will gladly support all those amazing sonic rom hacks out there, Sonic XL, Megamix, loads of other good ones I forget right now.

Also I wonder if this will bring hacking into other sega titles which are usually ignored, sonic is a BIG one for hacking but what about streets of rage?

Gimme dat 4 player mod for Gunstar Heroes. Asap.

image.php

When it comes to modded ROMs, I'm a total noob. Since you all look very excited about this, could you tell me what the possibilities are, aside from fan translations? Why should I be excited?

Imagine all those people who have been SCREAMING for decades for a new single player Phantasy Star RPG, now being able to conveniently download new fanmade ones via romhacks on the Workshop. All those dead IP that SEGA is no longer using are now essentially legally available for fans to use, for non-commercial release on the Workshop at least.

This is already an amazing move by SEGA, but even more amazing would be if they actually release rom editing tools themselves. Level editors, tile editors, etc. The works. I don't expect it to happen, but it would make it much easier for people to make their own totally changed romhacks, as romhacking without premade tools is very technical and difficult (a hex editor becomes your best friend...). Many of the more obscure games out there have no public tools available for them yet.

Getting that Sonic Retro cash, it seems. But a full version of Sonic Megamix and an official Sonic 3 Complete would be ace. And Sonic Classic Heroes, too.

Top Bottom