• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Wii hired some more portaholics or How Wii got Brothers in Arms..

Burnst

From a dutch interview with Nintendo's marketing manager Benelux and Ubisoft's product manager Benelux.

Leon: Ubisoft will have Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Red Steel, GT Pro Series, Brothers in Arms and Monster 4x4 World Circuit ready for launch.

I say Rainbow Six is next, every fall Ubisoft title will be ported to Wii. I wonder if they plan full support for Wii after that. Or are they just trying to capitalize on its launch, which they tend to like (biggest time span to sell and little competition to start with?).

But why do a lot of companies keep their titles under wraps? It's two months until launch. They don't like money (DS prints it for them)? The games stink bad (think Ken Kutaragi's breath)? Or do they just want to keep the attention on big budget games like Rayman, because titles like Brothers in Arms are more focussed on 360 or PC?

I'm sure this can't be the case for EA's titles. I can rabble on, but it's strange we've seen shit about:

Activision
-Call of Duty 3

Electronic Arts
-Harry Potter Wii
-SSX Wii
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour
-The Godfather
-Need for Speed: Carbon

Square Enix
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Ubisoft
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
-Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
-Brothers in Arms 3

Vivendi Universal Games
-Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

All launch (window) titles, and I probably missed some. Yeah, enlighten me!

We’ll get a blow out a month or sooner to launch, I reckon. I think they did that with DS??
We had all or most info about GC near on a year to launch, this time I think Wii’s a bit behind, and we’ll have all info filled in before launch.

Branduil

Burnst said:
From a dutch interview with Nintendo's marketing manager Benelux and Ubisoft's product manager Benelux.

I say Rainbow Six is next, every fall Ubisoft title will be ported to Wii. I wonder if they plan full support for Wii after that. Or are they just trying to capitalize on its launch, which they tend to like (biggest time span to sell and little competition to start with?).

But why do a lot of companies keep their titles under wraps? It's two months until launch. They don't like money (DS prints it for them)? The games stink bad (think Ken Kutaragi's breath)? Or do they just want to keep the attention on big budget games like Rayman, because titles like Brothers in Arms are more focussed on 360 or PC?

I'm sure this can't be the case for EA's titles. I can rabble on, but it's strange we've seen shit about:

Activision
-Call of Duty 3

Electronic Arts
-Harry Potter Wii
-SSX Wii
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour
-The Godfather

Square Enix

Ubisoft
-Brothers in Arms 3

Vivendi Universal Games

Most of those are just quick and dirty ports.

We've seen video of COD 3.

Fina Fantasy won't come out this year.

Burnst said:
Really? To bad, did they say when? Early next year I hope..
Who knows
Iwata promised Smash Bros, Mario at launch and this was announced way back when.
I think this and Smash have been in development for over a year, probably near on 18mths, so we’ll see it sometime in the new year to keep momentum going
Or whenever the DS version is ready?

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I wouldn't hold my breath for Crystal Chronicles as a launch window title... I deeply wish it would be there, but it's not probable at all.

Burnst said:

Activision
-Call of Duty 3

Electronic Arts
-Harry Potter Wii
-SSX Wii
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour
-The Godfather

Square Enix

Ubisoft
-Brothers in Arms 3

Vivendi Universal Games

when did brother in arms 3 become a Wii title, I know gear has praised the Wii and not discounted the system, but i had no idea it was a Wii title.

koam

Avutta1978 said:
when did brother in arms 3 become a Wii title, I know gear has praised the Wii and not discounted the system, but i had no idea it was a Wii title.

Erm, in the first post of this thread? That's the whole point of this thread :p

Btw, to the OP, isn't RB6:Vegas a wii launch title or am I imagining things again?

Avutta1978 said:

I was under the assumption that this topic was created to inform us about said development...

koam

Avutta1978 said:
yep it does control very well

Is there any proof of this or are we still judging this off that blurovision video from jeux-france? I'm only asking because I want a good FPS game for the wii at launch.

koam said:
Erm, in the first post of this thread? That's the whole point of this thread :p

Btw, to the OP, isn't RB6:Vegas a wii launch title or am I imagining things again?
ohh really, i mean i know of the seven ubi ports, but they don't include RB6 vegas and Brother in arms 3. was that stated in the interview

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Not sure where that list of games came from (are you seriously quoting FFCC as even a "launch window" game?), but here is the list of confirmed "before the end of the year" games:

Code:
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam	 Activision	 Sports 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Trauma Center: Second Opinion	 Atlus Software	 Simulation 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab	 THQ	 Action 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Metal Slug Anthology	 SNK Playmore	 Action Compilation
[B]Wii Launch - November 2006	 Blitz: The League	 Midway Games	 Sports [/B]
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance	 Activision	 Action RPG
[B]Wii Launch - November 2006	 Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors	 Square Enix	 Action [/B]
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Open Season	 Ubisoft	 Action Adventure
Wii Launch - November 2006 	 Far Cry Vengeance	 Ubisoft	 Shooter 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent	 Ubisoft	 Action Adventure
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Barnyard	 THQ	 Adventure 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 GT Pro Series	 Ubisoft	 Racing 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII	 Ubisoft	 Flight Action
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Wii Motor Sports Airplane	 Nintendo	 Flight 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Cars	 THQ	 Racing Action
November 19, 2006	 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz	 SEGA	 Action 
November 19, 2006	 Rayman Raving Rabbids	 Ubisoft	 Platformer 
November 19, 2006	 Elebits	 Konami	 Action 
November 19, 2006	 Wii Sports	 Nintendo	 Sports 
November 19, 2006	 Red Steel	 Ubisoft	 Shooter 
November 19, 2006	 Madden NFL 07	 Electronic Arts	 Sports 
November 19, 2006	 Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The	 Nintendo	 Adventure 
November 2006	 Happy Feet	 Midway Games	 Adventure 
November 2006	 Avatar: The Last Airbender	 THQ	 Action Adventure
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Need for Speed Carbon	 Electronic Arts	 Racing 
Wii Launch - November 2006	 Monster 4X4 World Circuit	 Ubisoft	 Racing 
November 2006	 Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action	 Buena Vista Games	 Action 
November 2006	 Ant Bully, The	 Midway Games	 Action 
Holiday 2006	 Super Swing Golf	 Tecmo	 Sports 
Holiday 2006	 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2	 Atari	 Fighting 
Q4 2006	 Rampage: Total Destruction	 Midway Games	 Action

I highlighted the two games that we really haven't seen more than 1 screenshot from. Everything else we've had either screenshots, videos, press releases, or all three. I wouldn't be too concerned here.

Also, let's assume that there ARE more titles that are coming out around launch that we haven't seen anything about yet. Let us remind ourselves that there is still 3 months in the year. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't expect anything more than what is already confirmed.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DefectiveReject said:
didn't harm PS2 which had just about every piece of crap under the sun on there

There has to be a balance between:
1. Having the most games available
2. Having lots of crappy games
3. Getting the worst version of most ports on the system with the least graphical power
4. Getting the best version of some ports on the system with the most unique interface

Somewhere in there lies the golden land of success and money for developers and happiness and joy for gamers. Somewhere out there, somewhere out where, dreeeeams coooooome truuuuuuuuuuue. [/feivel mouskowitz]

PantherLotus said:
There has to be a balance between:
1. Having the most games available PS2
2. Having lots of crappy games PS2
3. Getting the worst version of most ports on the system with the least graphical power Sometimes PS2
4. Getting the best version of some ports on the system with the most unique interface Sometimes PS2

Somewhere in there lies the golden land of success and money for developers and happiness and joy for gamers. Somewhere out there, somewhere out where, dreeeeams coooooome truuuuuuuuuuue. [/feivel mouskowitz]
Fixed
Ps2 had all of those lots of the time, won't happen this gen i'm sure, but Ps2 was easy to throw anything on, and Wii might provide that option!

I don't know, I don't think it's brothers in arms 3 (hell's highway) since that's running on unreal engine 3 and I doubt they'd create a brand new engine for this. It's probably a port of the first two games or a new game using that engine.

koam said:
Is there any proof of this or are we still judging this off that blurovision video from jeux-france? I'm only asking because I want a good FPS game for the wii at launch.

CoD played well. Better controls than Red Steel, that's for sure.

Penguin

Also I believe as much was confirmed or hinted at in the recent EGM with the interview with the lead programmer or something.

Compared working with PS3 and Wii.

Penguin said:
Also I believe as much was confirmed or hinted at in the recent EGM with the interview with the lead programmer or something.

Compared working with PS3 and Wii.
yeah the head of gearbox talked about it in the lastest EgM.

KINGMOKU

Matt said:
No, he did not.
Yeah he did. I remember numerous statements from Many of the head guys at Nintendo stating that they would never launch without Mario again, its essential to have Mario at the forefront, and about Smash Brothers it was said to be a launch game on several occasions.

Thats exactly why Zelda was also made into a launch title for the Wii to help lessen the blow, and the reason Paper Mario is launching with it now as well.(Unless thats been pushed back again. If thats the case this would be the first home console EVER from Nintendo to not launch with some kind of Mario game wether it be Luigi or not.)

Matt

moku said:
Yeah he did. I remember numerous statements from Many of the head guys at Nintendo stating that they would never launch without Mario again, its essential to have Mario at the forefront, and about Smash Brothers it was said to be a launch game on several occasions.

Thats exactly why Zelda was also made into a launch title for the Wii to help lessen the blow, and the reason Paper Mario is launching with it now as well.(Unless thats been pushed back again. If thats the case this would be the first home console EVER from Nintendo to not launch with some kind of Mario game wether it be Luigi or not.)
No. For Smash Bros., all Iwata said is that he would try his best to get it out for launch. As for Mario, again, he did say that they do not want to launch without one again, but never said that they were for sure going too.

And Super Paper Mario is not launching with the Wii, and Nintendo never said it was going too, either.

NeonZ

The statement about Smash Bros was made before the development of the game even started...

andthebeatgoeson

PantherLotus said:

3. Getting the worst version of most ports on the system with the least graphical power

Didn't hurt PS2. I think Nintendo hopes to get a huge lead on PS3 and force some publishers to consider the Wii for ports. If they bring out enough of the AAA games that sell systems, Take Two has to consider the Wii. GTA equals game over. Actually, no but that's probably a quick and dirty. They already have the scrubs (EA, Activision), now they just need the heavy hitters. And casual gamers. Price should take care of that. For all who wish to believe that looks are everything, it'll be a suprise to see how much price effects the market. Look at 360's lackluster performance.

Kangu

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Didn't hurt PS2.

Why do people keep posting this like it even makes sense? The PS2 was the weakest console of it's generation, the Wii isn't even in it's generation. PS2 ports are not going to sell the console to anyone. Especially considering most people already have a ps2/xbox/or gamecube.

Top Bottom