• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone surpasses 50m registered players

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-26-hearthstone-hits-50m-players

As it launches a new expansion for Hearthstone: Heroes Of Warcraft, Blizzard Entertainment has announced that the card game now has over 50 million registered players.

Numbers are still climbing at an impressive rate. In February Blizzard put the registered player total at 40 million.

"Whispers of the Old Gods adds an exciting new set of creepy, corrupted cards to Hearthstone," said CEO Mike Morhaime of the new content for players.

"We can't wait to see how creative players are with the ancient evil of the Old Gods in their hands."

WaterAstro

It's time for Hearthstone MMO.

like 200k people were watching HS on twitch today at one point.

Activision Blizzard would rather put in as little effort and money as possible for the greatest profit.

I doubt they will ever make an MMO ever again.

Nibiru

Banned
The expansion is fantastic with a very high quantity of quality cards. This is a far cry from tgt where most of the cards were trash. With Standard being implemented the current meta decks are completely unrecognizable with the old decks. In the past this happened for 1 month then the old decks were back but with GvG and Naxx gone that might not happen.

AzureSky

hilarious, i seriously love this card. Someone played it against me and almost all effects have been in my favor. I was very tempted to concede just because it was so funny to watch. This is randomness done right. It will never be competetive, but it's fun.

Will definitely craft it if i dont get it after opening all my packs.

What a useless metric, particularly considering I know people who were creating 8 accounts at a time to unlock a bunch before pawning them off for $10-15 a pop.

TBiddy

What a useless metric, particularly considering I know people who were creating 8 accounts at a time to unlock a bunch before pawning them off for $10-15 a pop.

Microsofts shift to MAU certified.

I never did get hooked on Hearthstone. I suck so bad at the game, that I never made it past the AI-tutorial.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's still a shallowly simplistic CCG that try as I may, I can't find the hooks in it. Wish there was a better alternative.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel like I'm overwhelmed with too many card options. That and having to rebuild decks, because of different compatibilities between play modes.

Tenebrous

It's still a shallowly simplistic CCG that try as I may, I can't find the hooks in it. Wish there was a better alternative.

Same here. Hearthstone does what it does amazingly well, but as someone who's played Magic since they were a child, it does feel insultingly basic at times.

Give me MTG:O with Hearthstone's level of polish and I don't think I'll play any other game.

danowat

Banned
Same here. Hearthstone does what it does amazingly well, but as someone who's played Magic since they were a child, it does feel insultingly basic at times.

Give me MTG:O with Hearthstone's level of polish and I don't think I'll play any other game.

I think that's one of it's draws for me, I've tried to get into MTG:O but it's just a bit too impenetrable for me.

That said, the amount of RNG in hearthstone makes my teeth itch sometimes.

Nibiru

Banned
I feel like I'm overwhelmed with too many card options. That and having to rebuild decks, because of different compatibilities between play modes.

For what it's worth it is actually much easier now with fewer cards in the standard set. Nax and GvG are only playable in the Wild format. They also have deck recipes now where you have several choices for each class on what type of deck you want to play and it constructs it for you. You can also check out websites like Hearthpawn that have thousands of decks and you can just copy one from there that people have had success with.

I would only bother with Standard because many of the overpowered broken cards were in the removed sets.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Questions: There's no single player expansion hitting?

I'd been saving my gold to start buying parts of a new expansion, but if there isn't going to be one, I'll spend it elsewhere. Worth buying Nax still? Or Blackrock?

kiguel182

Expansions from the current and previous year.

Cool. If I buy one of this expansions and play it all will the cards I earn be enough to be somewhat competitive?

I'm not talking getting super high in the ranks but you know, not have a completely out of date deck.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Questions: There's no single player expansion hitting?

I'd been saving my gold to start buying parts of a new expansion, but if there isn't going to be one, I'll spend it elsewhere. Worth buying Nax still? Or Blackrock?
Their current idea if a Spring expansion, Summer adventure (SP content), and Fall expansion.

Vandole

Neat. After enjoying it for a year I finally deleted it from my phone. The latest round of changes to the cards kind of fucked up my main deck and killed my interest in it. No hard feelings though. Best free game I've ever played.

danowat

Banned
Cool. If I buy one of this expansions and play it all will the cards I earn be enough to be somewhat competitive?

I'm not talking getting super high in the ranks but you know, not have a completely out of date deck.

I reckon you can be fairly competitive on just the basic and classic cards if you know what you are doing somewhat ,also the new deck recipes actually produce some fairly decent decks, and if you combine that with the beginners decks from somewhere like http://hearthstoneplayers.com/, then you can do pretty well.

I'm not that good at it, I've not spent any money on cards, and I do ok.

Vandole

If you buy the League of Explorers expansion and spend some time building and acquiring cards from the standard deck you can be very competitive.

hilarious, i seriously love this card. Someone played it against me and almost all effects have been in my favor. I was very tempted to concede just because it was so funny to watch. This is randomness done right. It will never be competetive, but it's fun.

Will definitely craft it if i dont get it after opening all my packs.

Agreed. This new set has created some legit cards to use, but also introduced actual fun RNG cards as well. Yogg, renounce darkness, the evolution cards, and more are tons of fun to see what happens. Normally hate RNG as I get burned by it a lot, but with these it at least is entertaining to watch unfold, comedicly so at times.

KKRT00

Yep, thats me :) Thats why i'm actually quite excited for Elder Scroll Legends. It wont have Magic's depth, but maybe it will be nice hybrid between HS and MTG.
Still, i'm gonna play today quite a lot of Arena :) HS is just great game, even though, some Blizzard decisions regarding it are strange to say the least.

Top Bottom