• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Has Fixed DualShock 4 Trigger Issues By Improving Build Quality

viHuGi

Banned
A small explanation. The newer method Sony has seemed to use to totally eliminate broken triggers and even squeaky triggers is to simply place the spring (1) onto a hinge totally separate from the pivot (2). In launch models and somewhat later, the spring was always placed onto the pivot (2) which caused squeaking and ultimately, a broken pivot since the stress and wear of having that spring constantly moving onto it caused it to break easily. Now this problem is potentially eliminated on both fronts due to no stress caused by the spring on the pivot. Awesome job Sony!

More at (including images and more) :

http://gearnuke.com/sony-fixed-dualshock-4-trigger-issues-improving-build-quality/

Matush

Before people start asking:

There is a way to tell if you have a newer controller: Look on the back at either the model number or the FCC ID. If it ends in an “A” that is the latest stealth revision. These have been in circulation since about late summer/fall of last year.

Black Hat

I noticed this when I pulled a recent DS4 apart because the sticks were misaligned.

The new springs are a **** to get back in! Pre-warning.

LewieP

What about the rubber coating always wearing off the analogue sticks?

I wonder if they are going to replace the fault controllers they sold early adopters /s

Venom Fox

Banned
One thing I noticed, is the later models E.G. the Starwars controller and the Gold controller have super sensitive triggers. I only have to breath on them for them to work.

That's all well and good, but they need to completely redesign the shape of the triggers. They aren't nearly concave enough (or convex enough, I always get those two words confused.)

GorillaJu

I have a controller from December in the new silver color and it has significantly better build quality than my launch controllers.

Can't really comment on the sticks because I haven't lost any rubber on any of my four controllers.

That's all well and good, but they need to completely redesign the shape of the triggers. They aren't nearly concave enough (or convex enough, I always get those two words confused.)

Is this a commonly held complaint? I think the shape of the triggers is damn near perfect as it is.

yeah i had to break both my controllers open to remove the springs.
broken plastic. Shit quality. Now they work again but they need to improve the overall quality of these controllers as well as battery life.

melchior_

One thing I noticed, is the later models E.G. the Starwars controller and the Gold controller have super sensitive triggers. I only have to breath on them for them to work.

Yeah, I picked up an anniversary controller and noticed the left trigger was ridiculously sensitive. I accidentally trigger it pretty regularly just resting my finger on it.

My original ps4 controller's back sticker is too scratched up to see but it's obviously one of the earlier models since I picked up the ps4 back in February or March of the ps4's launch year. That one's still working just fine though.

Javin98

Banned
Any mention of improved battery life? It always confuses me that GAF whines about the horrible battery life and yet I get 8-10 hours easily. Bought my PS4 and controllers in December, BTW.

Any mention of improved battery life? It always confuses me that GAF whines about the horrible battery life and yet I get 8-10 hours easily. Bought my PS4 and controllers in December, BTW.

I feel my newest controller (bought a few weeks ago) lasts about twice as long as the one I bought a year ago. Maybe placebo but I think it has been slightly improved. I definitely get 10 hours out of it as well.

Javin98

Banned
I feel my newest controller (bought a few weeks ago) lasts about twice as long as the one I bought a year ago. Maybe placebo but I think it has been slightly improved. I definitely get 10 hours out of it as well.
Well, perhaps Sony did stealth upgrade the controllers then. Maybe the launch controllers do only last about 4-5 hours, I don't know. Mine last for twice of that duration as well. The only game where I get last than 8 hours of battery life is Metro Redux. That game changes the color of the LED a lot.

If they upped build quality last year, they sure didn't fix it in time for MGS V.

I have the limited edition console and controller, and the controller is already broken..

Javin98

Banned
If they upped build quality last year, they sure didn't fix it in time for MGS V.

I have the limited edition console and controller, and the controller is already broken..
That's funny, because my PS4 and controllers are also the MGSV limited edition. Still in good condition overall, but I feel my MGSV controller is a bit broken. The left analogue stick will sometimes cause characters to walk slowly even if I don't touch it.

That's funny, because my PS4 and controllers are also the MGSV limited edition. Still in good condition overall, but I feel my MGSV controller is a bit broken. The left analogue stick will sometimes cause characters to walk slowly even if I don't touch it.
My X and O buttons will often 'stick' or not register at all.

I didn't even use it that much, I tried to use my normal controller more often to ensure the MGS one would last...

Javin98

Banned
My X and O buttons will often 'stick' or not register at all.

I didn't even use it that much, I tried to use my normal controller more often to ensure the MGS one would last...
Damn, that sounds bad. My issue is only a minor one and can often be ignored most of the time, but buttons failing to register is game breaking.

viHuGi

Banned

Yeah sometimes I find myself shooting at walls on Black Ops 3, I wish we could have a option to make it less sensitive, it is great but sometimes doesn't help.

Not interested. Ive gone through 2 controllers already and my console isnt even three years old.

I am not buying another. I have one spare that im using now but when that eventually goes, ill go third party or buy a cronusmax.

RedAssedApe

Banned
?

He's not wrong. The stick material used is noticeably different now. It's a harder plastic. The sticks definitely seem to wear less slowly at the expense of feeling rougher on the thumbs and having less grip than older version.

I personally prefer the og stick material.

Suzzopher

I have two 20th anniversary pads and they have been great. I also get over 10 hours battery from them both. Compared to five hours from my launch pair.

hesido

Yeah, I picked up an anniversary controller and noticed the left trigger was ridiculously sensitive. I accidentally trigger it pretty regularly just resting my finger on it.

Sony seriously needs to allow us to manually calibrate the dang button. There are controllers that do not go full 100% and they now I hear there are these. This gen Sony screwed up the build quality on the controllers plain and simple. The least it can do is to allow us to mitigate the problem through software.

?

He's not wrong. The stick material used is noticeably different now. It's a harder plastic. The sticks definitely seem to wear less slowly at the expense of feeling rougher on the thumbs and having less grip than older version.

I personally prefer the og stick material.
I recently got a crystal ds4 from Japan and I was shocked at how rugged the material on the stick was, I can't say I've noticed a difference on the grippyness yet but I much prefer the new material compared to my og pad :)

Ashler

As an owner of the original PS4 gamer bundle (2 DS4 included) on day 1 of the console's release I can honestly say that both controllers are still mint. And I play my PS4 a LOT.

I hadn't even noticed this was an actually thing. Bad news: two of my DS4s are definitely the old creaky model. Good news: my 20th anniversary DS4 is the new model.

I feel like an idiot for not noticing the extra heft or non existent creak on the new DS4. But honestly I rotate my use of all three and haven't had any problems with any of the pads and I play quite a bit.

The rubber analog sticks breaking apart was mitigated by getting rubber covers for the L3 and R3 button like so...

IaQwcdE.jpg

I've done this for all DS4s I own and haven't had a problem with the sticks.

Top Bottom