• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n is back: Cruis'n Adventure confirmed for Arcades

http://arcadeheroes.com/2016/05/05/cruisn-adventure-dance-central-3-arcade-test/

crusinadventure1.jpg

The game was tested some months ago and now it was confirmed. Made by Raw Thrills and licenced by Nintendo for arcades

EDIT: Already commented but i guess this deserve his own thread.

MrNelson

Banned
cruisn-20071207051803633.jpg

I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I don't think I've played one since Exotica in the arcades, but the one I remember most is USA.

BiggNife

I've never really been impressed by a Raw Thrills game tbh. They're not offensively bad by any means, just really bland and kinda mediocre.

RaidenXZ

Well there it is guys, Nintendo's big game of holiday 2016 for Wii U. This should hold everyone over til NX and Zelda.....

Kid Ying

Wow! Awesome! I'm excited to see that high-octane action in the screen, while cruising lots of exotical settings in the fastest cars, while being furious.

Happy to see arcades like this appearing again. Let's see if it will end having a port.

Ugh, another Raw Thrills driver...

I don't think I've had a really good time with a single game they've made. Their output is okay, I guess, but they make these games that are really casual friendly that don't offer any greater experience. Their early games relied on nostalgia or good licensing to get operators to buy their cabinets. This looks like the latter, as they've basically been using the Crusin' formula for all of their The Fast And The Furious games.

I don't think I've had a really good time with a single game they've made. Their output is okay, I guess, but they make these games that are really casual friendly that don't offer any greater experience. Their early games relied on nostalgia or good licensing to get operators to buy their cabinets. This looks like the latter, as they've basically been using the Crusin' formula for all of their The Fast And The Furious games.
Do they get home releases for their games nowadays? Seems like it kind of has to be casual-friendly.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Raw Thrills is full of ex-Midway guys, if I remember correctly. That's why they keep pumping out Midway-esque arcade games.

It'll be kinda cool to see a new Cruisin' game in Dave & Buster's.

bumpkin

I wish some of Raw Thrills' arcade games like Terminator: Salvation and Jurassic Park would somehow make their way to home consoles. I always loved arcadey shooters like that. And let's face it, both of those are better than their respective console games in recent years.

Do they get home releases for their games nowadays? Seems like it kind of has to be casual-friendly.

As posted earlier, there was a non-branded port of their Fast and the Furious game simply called "Crusin'" on the Wii. Target Terror (which is a light gun game, similar to Maximum Force) was also released on the Wii.

Casual friendly doesn't necessarily mean poor gameplay. If you go to an arcade and see both Terminator Salvation and House of the Dead 4, I would play HotD4 every time. From a game design perspective, games like Terminator Salvation are made to extort the largest number of coins from a player during a game. I don't know if it's possible to 1CC Terminator Salvation (not from inexperience, but from inescapable hits), but I know for a fact that I've been able to 1CC HotD4.

Apparently the article says this is using a new engine built from the ground-up, so it's not just a reskin of F&F.

Super happy they're doing this right it seems. Hopefully an NX version by Sumo is down the road. I think it's too late for a Wii U version personally.

tkscz

Oh hey, Nintendo remembered they had Crusin'. I forgot they had Crusin', haven't played sense USA.

I loved arcades back when they existed...

Is Nintendo releasing more of those too?

Don't get your hopes up. I'm guessing the only reason they're doing this is b/c of them owning distribution rights or something like that. They haven't really cared about this franchise (or arcades really) in decades.

Still tho, very neat to see this series get a new installment, I guess. Cruisn' USA is super-corny to play these days and I was never blown away by it as a kid back at the arcades, but it has its charm. I hear the other ones are better but I only played USA and World. Hopefully this one can measure up more to the Sega/Namco arcade racers than the past entries.

RedToad64

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of these guys. Their arcade games feel super cheap.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cruis'n USA was great back when I was 8, and Cruis'n World blew my mind. But... I don't think I need this series back. Those games really weren't very good, and I don't believe that there'll be any real effort behind this one.

Raw Thrills stuff are nice diversions when you are out at a Dave and Busters or a bowling alley or something, ut they are basically giant mobile games in terms of depth and playability. Then again the original Cruisin was pretty garbage so this may be alright to carry on that lineage.

Yeah I saw this a few months ago at some random mall arcade (Chicago suburbs).

What's the story behind this?

IIRC, this was back when the Wii was going through its shovelware phase and devs were trying to get out games as fast as they could because they weren't prepared for how successful the Wii was going to become. This Wii game screengrab was seen as a graphical low point for the console, and it became a meme of sorts. People compared the Wii's graphics to the original playstation thanks to this screenshot and was used to emphasize the console's severe lack of power and developer laziness.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Fuck me I miss arcades. The handful you still see these days are full of giant-sized iPhone games and it's painful.

The Cruis 'n USA port for N64 was pretty terrible, but I love it all the same. Nevertheless its nice to see at least someone is still making arcade cabinets/games.

I miss goofy arcade racing games with cheesy soundtrack. Specially San Francisco Rush.

SF Rush was legitimately good and not trash like Cruisin though. I'd love to see a reboot of that series, though preferably not by Raw Thrills. I admit I went all in on Cruisin for a hot minute when the n64 launch window was dryer than a desert, but I have no idea in an age where Super GT and Daytona and SF Rush existed people could care about Crusin USA or World in arcades.

Top Bottom