• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Feminist Frequency Youtube channel is suspended...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to watch their Uncharted 4 review and this popped up

c03Ctwz.png
I wonder what happened and how permanent this is. I really enjoy their work and think it's at the very least important to have in the community. I can't find anything on their Twitter either

I know this might seem presumptive, but my thought is people spamming Content ID flags on her.

Just another day on the internet :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Didn't they get in trouble for taking LP footage and stuff from other channels without permission? Or am I thinking of someone else?

DocSeuss

I really enjoy their work and think it's at the very least important to have in the community.

I'm sure they'll be back in no time, but I don't think that it's important, not when it has one leg rooted firmly within Jack Thompson's scare tactics and the other in Laura Mulvey's sexist and homophobic "Visual Pleasure in Narrative Cinema" essay (the author herself has disavowed the essay, indicating it was not meant to be taken seriously, but to provoke discussion; the result has been decades of poor feminist film theory citing it uncritically--the simple fact is that 'provoking discussion' with intentionally bad work doesn't work). After everything I went to to get my film degree, I think the stuff they release is ultimately poor and harmful criticism. I do not see how anyone could consider it important or valuable.

Didn't they get in trouble for taking LP footage and stuff from other channels without permission? Or am I thinking of someone else?

They have been accused of stealing footage, but I've not heard of any fallout from that.

L Thammy

I'm sure they'll be back in no time, but I don't think that it's important, not when it has one leg rooted firmly within Jack Thompson's scare tactics and the other in Laura Mulvey's sexist and homophobic "Visual Pleasure in Narrative Cinema" essay (the author herself has disavowed the essay, indicating it was not meant to be taken seriously, but to provoke discussion; the result has been decades of poor feminist film theory citing it uncritically--the simple fact is that 'provoking discussion' with intentionally bad work doesn't work). After everything I went to to get my film degree, I think the stuff they release is ultimately poor and harmful criticism. I do not see how anyone could consider it important or valuable.

If nothing else, they inspire people to think more about the subject regardless of the quality of their own analysis. I think that's important.

I'm sure they'll be back in no time, but I don't think that it's important, not when it has one leg rooted firmly within Jack Thompson's scare tactics and the other in Laura Mulvey's sexist and homophobic "Visual Pleasure in Narrative Cinema" essay. After everything I went to to get my film degree, I think the stuff they release is ultimately poor and harmful criticism. I do not see how anyone could consider it important or valuable.

Jack Thompson said that video games should be banned because they cause school shootings. Feminist Frequency critiques sexist reflections of our culture in video games and, from what I've seen, frequently says that you can still enjoy media with problematic elements. Don't really get the connection, and I'm also in the creative media field.

DocSeuss

If nothing else, they inspire people to think more about the subject regardless of the quality of their own analysis. I think that's important.

I made a slight edit because I realized someone would make this argument. It's deeply flawed. Visual Pleasure & Narrative Cinema set feminist flim theory back years because people cited it uncritically.

L Thammy

Gaters already coming out of their bogs to claim this is some publicity stunt.

I'm sure they're simultaneously claiming this as a victory while in their bogs.

I made a slight edit because I realized someone would make this argument. It's deeply flawed. Visual Pleasure & Narrative Cinema set feminist flim theory back years because people cited it uncritically.

And yet we're getting an increasing amount of female main characters now, and pressure on corporations like Ubisoft for avoiding them. I don't care about film media; Feminist Frequency seems to have a positive effect on this industry.

Didn't know they did reviews. Assuming copyright strike tomfoolery, I'm surprised the channel was up as long as it was. I'm sure they'll bounce back in no time.

Corpekata

Banned

They were accused, but the way the footage was used would not be a violation of youtube's policy. It would just be kinda assholish. This would have to be unrelated.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Not a particular fan of the channel, but it's highly suspect that some shit heads are probably causing issues. I can't even imagine the mountain of bullshit that the folks running the channel have to put up with.

Fat4all

Banned

Not sure what all that has to do with the channel being taken down, but ok.

DocSeuss

Not sure what all that has to do with the channel being taken down, but ok.

It's... about a comment made in the OP.

That's not a healthy view to have about anything.

Someone I knew got my community talking about the death penalty by being a serial killer. Flat-earthers get people talking about science.

The idea that "getting people to talk about something" is a noble pursuit is deeply flawed. Just getting a discussion started is meaningless, especially because people want to believe they are right, and if you bring up a subject poorly, you can help entrench those views. Even when someone has a legitimate concern, if they do a poor job (which is true of a lot of FF's work), they can convince people to take a more hardline stance against their views. Because the approach is demonstrably flawed, people assume everything else about their position is too. It's not logical, but it's how humans work. Whenever you criticize something--and I say this as someone who is employed to tell people who invest MILLIONS of dollars into projects what to change about those projects--you have to be above and beyond reproach. You can't just 'get a conversation started.'

She needs to learn to play by the new youtube rules. You need 1 erasure song, some Nintendo footage and some Konami stuff in each video.

Xe4

Banned
I assume this is some sort of copyright strike shenanigans.

Probably. Wouldn't surprise me if they're up in a week. They were well within their DMCA rights of journalism.

Edit: yeah there was when they took from YT's sites, but I figured that would go away or be settled in court. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would take down a channel.

vulva

I could be wrong but isn't there an NDA for Uncharted 4 that's listed on Monday? Maybe there were some issues with the NDA?

cheesekao

I may be wrong here but there seemed to be footage in the review that's not from the same b-reel stuff found in many other reviews from what few minutes I've seen before I closed it since it reminded why I avoid this channel in the first place. Again, I don't know what b-reel footage Sony sent out for reviewers to use but they seem to have stuff that other reviewers don't.

farisr

Didn't their Uncharted 4 video have spoiler footage that wasn't approved by ND and is embargoed till monday or something. They've been taking down spoiler images and videos from everywhere. I wonder if that factored in.

edit: mentioned before.

DocSeuss

It was hardly the point of the OP. Do you just have that paragraph ready for anyone who mentions they enjoy FF?

No, because of posts like yours, insinuating I'm just some random person who trots out tired arguments against a critic. It seems impossible to have a genuinely interesting discussion about her work and methods without ad hominem bullshit from her fans.

No, because of posts like yours, insinuating I'm just some random person who trots out tired arguments against a critic. It seems impossible to have a genuinely interesting discussion about her work and methods without ad hominem bullshit from her fans.

Maybe try making relevant points to the discussion rather than how you disapprove of someone enjoying her work because of some "I have a film degree" stuff that nobody else cares about.

Their Twitter account doesn't seem to know what's going on re: Youtube suspension, either. I hope it all gets resolved okay.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I laugh at how threads about her always devolve into witch hunts to find the secret gamer gate people. Its not even past page 1 and its happening already lol.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
No that was her. It's probably why her channel got taken down.
No way. Reusing LP footage isn't a violation of YouTube policy or copyright law, since the LPers didn't own the footage in the first place. LPers don't really have any recourse if their footage is reused, even if it might be an asshole thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom