• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Fable Legends cost $75 million to make

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Part of a much larger feature discussed in another thread, but I thought it was worth its own thread.

The rest of the below quote covers how that happened.

Eurogamer said:

The PC version was supposed to show the potential of DirectX 12, too. Fable Legends was a graphical showcase, but should it have been? "They constantly wanted to use Legends as a demo for something new," one source says.

"Legends should have been dirt cheap to produce, that's the whole point of a free-to-play game. If people don't like the game, you take a small cut. If they do, you build more of what the people want. Legends cost a large amount of money, and was delayed countless times so we could show off some other piece of Microsoft tech."

How much money? One high-ranking Lionhead source says $75m was spent on Fable Legends - a gargantuan amount for a free-to-play game.

"The aim with free-to-play games it to get something out early and iterate on that and build up the community and build up your userbase," said a source.

"But because this was being set up as a flagship title, there was a strive to make it bigger and more polished before it came out. So the scale of the game was way beyond what it should have been to be a success as a free-to-play title."

Sources say Lionhead's work on Fable Legends was in part an attempt to tick the boxes Microsoft kept drawing. And if it kept ticking those boxes, the studio would keep on making games.

"We always tried to drive ourselves and do great stuff, but fundamentally when you're owned by a company that has strategic directions like Kinect, or wanting to move into games as a service, if you can tick the boxes of whatever the latest thing the wider organisation thinks is super important, like we ticked the Windows 10 box and the DirectX 12 box with Fable Legends - there was a belief that it reinforced your security because you were giving the organisation exactly what they asked for," one person said.

"Games as a service was something Microsoft was very keen on. The supporting of Windows 10 was something Microsoft was very keen on. And the prettiest ever online game using DirectX 12 was very much something Microsoft was keen on. So we just supported all of those things because we wanted to keep in their good books."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-12-lionhead-the-inside-story

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wasting that much money will become a legendary story.

Just think, a shitty F2P Fable game that didn't come out had $75 million in funding

Yet Shenmue 3 had to have fans fund it.

Ouch... and it's never gonna get released. Who in their right mind would pay that much to make a F2P game.

Imagine some amazing B-tier developers gets this type of money to make a game...

benzy

Could they have made another mainline open world Fable with that money? Always found it weird they deviated from the series with this multiplayer ftp...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could they have made another mainline open world Fable with that money? Always found it weird they deviated from the series with this multiplayer ftp...

At $75 million, they could have made something on the scale of Assassin's Creed 3.

Even if this was an f2p game, it should have been extremely expansive at that budget.

ValeYard

tumblr_nnozg6xlfd1u1vo97o1_500.gif

This story keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. I want some of the reality distortion pills that seem to be going round at MS. It just seems like this game should've come out: People who played it liked it; it cost a bunch of money to make; the existence of a cherished studio was on the line. What gives?

Jawmuncher

God Damn, at that point you'd think they would have just finished it up. If anything I totally see them reusing those UE4 assets then. The game was looking really good, and re-crafting the stuff into a SP game should be doable.

tumblr_nnozg6xlfd1u1vo97o1_500.gif

This story keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. I want some of the reality distortion pills that seem to be going round at MS. It just seems like this game should've come out: People who played it liked it; it cost a bunch of money to make; the existence of a cherished studio was on the line. What gives?

it seems like they just kept going and going and going.

and by going i mean spending. adding more. etc.

rhandino

Banned
Just think, a shitty F2P Fable game that didn't come out had $75 million in funding

Yet Shenmue 3 had to have fans fund it.
To be fair a F2P game has a lot more chances to return the initial investment and if its successful enough could provide a constant stream of revenue for a long time.

Granted, I am not saying that the Fable IP could carry a successful F2P game but they seemed to think so =P

Zaph

Sources say Lionhead's work on Fable Legends was in part an attempt to tick the boxes Microsoft kept drawing. And if it kept ticking those boxes, the studio would keep on making games.

"We always tried to drive ourselves and do great stuff, but fundamentally when you're owned by a company that has strategic directions like Kinect, or wanting to move into games as a service, if you can tick the boxes of whatever the latest thing the wider organisation thinks is super important, like we ticked the Windows 10 box and the DirectX 12 box with Fable Legends - there was a belief that it reinforced your security because you were giving the organisation exactly what they asked for," one person said.
Pretty much confirms what most already thought Microsoft was doing to their first party studios. Can't blame them for spending a lot of money when they've structured their entire development process around being ready to support whatever half-baked initiative is thrown at them next.

What a massive waste of money. At this point the money would have been better off going to Fable 4 instead.

This is like over twice the development cost (prior to marketing) of The Witcher 3.

Not a fair comparison. Operating costs are a LOT cheaper in Poland compared to the UK.

Apathy

How in the hell could it cost so much. How could anyone in charge let a game, let alone a f2p game, get that out of control. The making of story on this will be amazing if it all fully comes out

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Microsoft has been making a lot of terrible decisions this gen.

Reminds me of that thread a few days back saying Microsoft needs more studios when MS has the opposite idea instead.

You know we're eventually going to discover the game was canceled out of spite, rather than sound business acumen or a "preservation of the IP".

Retarded, literally throwing money down the drain. Why couldn't they just do a mainline title? I am having a hard time believing that MS is giving their studios creative freedom. I'm going to be worried about rare when sea of thief's flops. It just doesn't seem like a game that people would be interested in playing.

Top Bottom