• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo to launch before October, says French distributor

chadskin

Sony's upgraded PS4 console, reportedly codenamed Neo, will release before October, according to French video games distributor Innelec Multimedia.

The release window was reportedly mentioned in a press release announcing Innelec's FY16 earnings results, where it states that an "evolution" of Sony's PS4 console, which it refers to as "Neo 4K", will arrive during the first half of its current financial year.

Innelec's financial year runs from April 2016-March 2017, suggesting the console will arrive at some point between now and the end of September 2016. It was rumoured yesterday that the console could be revealed at TGS this September, alongside the Nintendo NX.

Innelec's press release doesn't seem to be available on its website, but parts of it have been reproduced on stocks website Boursier.com, suggesting it's legit. It's also been uploaded by French blog otaxou.fr.
via http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_neo_to_launch_before_october_says_french_distributor.html

rauelius

"Surprise" E3 unveiling with Sony telling all those watching they could buy it now. Initially the game press will scoff, stating this is basically what doomed the Saturn, but to their surprise the initial Shipment of PS4ks gets sold out in hours.

September is when devs have patch in a Neo mode right? I bet that is what this is based on, as there may be an assumption that that means the console is to release by then.

Freeman

Banned
It makes sense to have as little time between announcing the PS4 Neo and actually releasing it, not to mention being available during the holidays.

I would think it be announced at E3. But , will be shown at TGS ...
I just want to hear the official announcement to get hyped up. The sooner the better for me .... (smile)

Yeah I'm on board buying one. I feel dirty for saying that seeing as I have a powerful PC but I just enjoy gaming on a console better. I switch it on game and tune out from the world. Consoles and in particular gaming get me out of depressive streaks so it's a hard habit to break :):)

inki

TGS is September... for an Oct release? Either they're not pushing it or that's too late. Thinking we'll get an announcement at E3. ESPECIALLY because of the "leaks". They have to address it at least?

Scrawnton

Based off the most recent demo, I have been disappointed with FFXV's graphics. If a PS4K releases before FF15, I will be there day one for it.

I would think it be announced at E3. But , will be shown at TGS ...
I just want to hear the official announcement to get hyped up. The sooner the better for me .... (smile)

Maybe they will have a gamescom event this year, In my head that's their traditional home for hardware refreshes.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony would be stupid to address any Neo news too early before it enters sale, and I cannot see it being released during slow summer months [plus SDK says games will be ready later]. I'm not expecting any New news from Sony at E3.

TGS timing is a good one. Announce in Sept, release it quickly in Oct, and have a lot of them ready for Nov [US prime time sales month] and Dec [rest of the world prime time sales month].

Same time as vr is a lil much for some to shell out 400 for a new console and 400-500 for vr

will get both on day 1 regardless

I wonder how Destiny will take advantage of this new console.

I asked this in the Destiny thread. Made it sound plausible that Destiny 2 is a new version of Destiny. Maybe they will drop support for 360 and PS3, and make it compatible with 4K.

Maybe FFXIV will also drop PS3 support so that game can move forward tech wise too!

DieH@rd

Banned

IMO, I expect it to remain 1080p like on regular PS4, but just with larger LOD distances, more detailed shadows, more particles, better AA [pls no more FXAA] and that kind of stuff.

I definitely don't expect many games to have 30>60 jump.

Maybe they will drop support for 360 and PS3
That alone would make regular PS4/xbone versions look much better than Destiny 1 looked.

chozen

If Destiny 2 is still on last gen consoles, then it won't change at all. Expect 30 fps.

Activision is making sure no one gets a "Superior" version so if xbox 360/ps3 can't do it, then Ps4/Xbone won't have it. Why do you think they never released it on PC?

I am also hyped for what this means for FFXV, I'm probably going to have to save more money than expected cause I pre-ordered the 270$ Ultimate collectors edition

They should announce this at E3 no later IMO unveiling at TGS it too late.

Rellik

The sooner the better because I need a new PS4 but I'm not going to buy one right now knowing that is coming out.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i thought we already knew this from the start? they want to get it out before the PSVR launches. nothing new here.

E92 M3

I asked this in the Destiny thread. Made it sound plausible that Destiny 2 is a new version of Destiny. Maybe they will drop support for 360 and PS3, and make it compatible with 4K.

Maybe FFXIV will also drop PS3 support so that game can move forward tech wise too!

Old consoles will definitely be dropped. Some emotes don't even work on last gen lol.

IMO, I expect it to remain 1080p like on regular PS4, but just with larger LOD distances, more detailed shadows, more particles, better AA [pls no more FXAA] and that kind of stuff.

I definitely don't expect many games to have 30>60 jump.

That alone would make regular PS4/xbone versions look much better than Destiny 1 looked.

That's enough for me - Destiny is already a beautiful game and runs better than most other games on the market.

If Destiny 2 is still on last gen consoles, then it won't change at all. Expect 30 fps.

Activision is making sure no one gets a "Superior" version so if xbox 360/ps3 can't do it, then Ps4/Xbone won't have it. Why do you think they never released it on PC?

100% old consoles are being dropped soon. Hell, Microsoft stopped production of the X360. There won't be future Destiny content on old content (maybe one more expansion at most).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Same time as vr is a lil much for some to shell out 400 for a new console and 400-500 for vr

will get both on day 1 regardless

First thing I thought of when we heard about Neo was that it ideally should be out at or before the same time as VR. People buying into PS4 for VR should have the option of the more powerful system for VR from day one.

(Disclosure: I'm one of those people so I have a slight vested interest :p)

The alternative is that all those pending PS4+PSVR purchases would be delayed until Neo is available which probably wouldn't be ideal for PSVR's launch.

Hobbun

Will the Neo affect graphics/performance of existing PS4 games? Or just ‘Neo’ PS4 games that are designed to take advantage of the system?

McHuj

I doubt it if it's 14nm.

Not sure its possible to release a console with the rumored specs on 28nm. The doubling the GPU, increasing CPU speed, and faster memory would close to double the power draw of SOC. You're probably looking at a 500-600mm SOC and a 200W console. I doubt Sony will go back to that power drawn.

AmyS

If PS4K launches this year....

198qj0pvzn5wqgif.gif

In Before Lock, Meltdowns, Etc

DieH@rd

Banned
Will the Neo affect graphics/performance of existing PS4 games? Or just ‘Neo’ PS4 games that are designed to take advantage of the system?

Neo can play all previously released [and future] physical and digital PS4 games [it also runs the same OS, maximum consistency] with the same rendering performance as PS4. No enhancements, no patching needed. Everything will just work.

As per leaked SDK, all games released after this october will have to have support for both base and Neo mode [devs can choose how much [if any] effort they want to invest into Neo mode], while old PS4 games will get support for faster Neo rendering only if those games get specific Neo patch.

So, almost all old PS4 games will continue to look and play the same on Neo, except few who receive patch from developers [that will mostly be AAA games, like F4 or Witcher 3, etc].

Hobbun

Neo can play all previously released [and future] physical and digital PS4 games [it also runs the same OS, maximum consistency] with the same rendering performance as PS4. No enhancements, no patching needed. Everything will just work.

As per leaked SDK, all games released after this october will have to have support for both base and Neo mode [devs can choose how much [if any] effort they want to invest into Neo mode], while old PS4 games will get support for faster Neo rendering only if those games get specific Neo patch.

So, almost all old PS4 games will continue to look and play the same on Neo, except few who receive patch from developers [that will mostly be AAA games, like F4 or Witcher 3, etc].

Great, answered all my questions.

Thank you.

If Neo comes this year I'll probably cancel my PSVR preorder and wait till next year to pick it up.
Only thing I'm kinda upset about. I could care less about my game running 30fps while someone else's is 60fps BUT I'm not dropping $500 on a psvr bundle only to not have the right hardware for it cuz I'm positive neo is also for Vr

Raide

If Neo launches this year, I hope MS launch the Xbox One Slim and them wait till earlier next year to announce their 1.5 ideas, hell wait till E32017 and then announce Xbox Two and blow PS4k out of the water. The NX is appearing next year, so 2017 should be stacked.

Top Bottom