• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has developed quite a fan art following....

maouvin

But I think Lucio's a bad choice. While he's Brazilian, he's from a favela, and I don't think he'd participate in such controversial Olympic Games.

Maybe he's part of the population going with the "now that it's happening, let's hope for the best" mindset.

------

d_va_by_roootb-dacezkk.jpg
rootb

So what do we learn from the official Olympic sprays and costumes? 1) Mei isnt chunky. 2) They still refuse to actually show us Phara's limbs.
tumblr_ob9oxqV7df1qzh2aio1_540.jpg

tumblr_ob9oxqV7df1qzh2aio2_540.jpg

Matsukaze

Accurate? Found elsewhere.

wPYKMtO.png
At the risk of triggering a conversation about the alignment system (which never leads anywhere), Zenyatta as Chaotic Neutral is totally nonsensical. McCree as Lawful Neutral is questionable but I think I can see the argument. The others are fairly apt.

EDIT: Although in all honesty, I wouldn't have picked Torbjorn as the poster-boy for Neutral Good. Tracer probably would have been a better pick.

Mush

I really hope Blizzard aren't backpedaling on Mei's design because her body image was one of the MEIn reasons why I gravitated towards her.

As someone who is into curvy women and has a girlfriend who struggles with her image on a constant basis it's great to have a positive role model in mainstream pop culture.

I really hope Blizzard aren't backpedaling on Mei's design because her body image was one of the MEIn reasons why I gravitated towards her.

As someone who is into curvy women and has a girlfriend who struggles with her image on a constant basis it's great to have a positive role model in mainstream pop culture.

It's not a backpedal; just a confirmation of the concept art.
NHNxw08.jpg

People have just been projecting onto her.

Veelk

Banned
NHNxw08.jpg

People have just been projecting onto her.

Well,concept art was never a confirmation. It isn't canonical. As you can clearly see, she is not carrying around that giant rifle she has in that pic either and her outfit is visibly different from what it ended up in the game. So it was perfectly legitimate to suppose that they made her fat in the revision process in implementing her into the game. It's only now they revealed that that isn't the case.

Well,concept art was never a confirmation. It isn't canonical. As you can clearly see, she is not carrying around that giant rifle she has in that pic either. They could have easily just gone with what the popular interpretation had turned out to be and gave her some girth. They just decided not to.

Maybe she shaved off some weight for the games ;P

Veelk

Banned
Maybe she shaved off some weight for the games ;P

Honestly? I would prefer that. Despite the controversies surrounding it, I applaud Overwatch for it's diversity in nearly every dimension. I would think better of Blizzard if they gave fat girls some representation they rarely get, the same way they gave body builder woman a representation with Zarya.

mollipen

In my case, I think that new spray makes her look skinnier than her concept art (which is how I picture her for the most part). But I admit it's not really a good look at her. I'd love for Blizzard to release a proper design doc image of her (unless they have) so it can be fully settled.

Also, to be fair, "early concept art" and "final canonical design" are often worlds apart, so that art doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Well,concept art was never a confirmation. It isn't canonical. As you can clearly see, she is not carrying around that giant rifle she has in that pic either and her outfit is visibly different from what it ended up in the game. So it was perfectly legitimate to suppose that they made her fat in the revision process in implementing her into the game. It's only now they revealed that that isn't the case.

At least one spray still featured Mei in the tank top from the concept art, so it was reasonable to assume that she would be in line with it.

Personally I just want her to be a bit thick. Not as thin as the rest of the girls in the cast (minus Zarya), but not fat like I've seen in way too much fanart.

Veelk

Banned
At least one spray still featured Mei in the tank top from the concept art, so it was reasonable to assume that she would be in line with it.

Personally I just want her to be a bit thick. Not as thin as the rest of the girls in the cast (minus Zarya), but not fat like I've seen in way too much fanart.

*shrug* The point of fan art is to exaggerate/reinterpret character qualities, either for a joke or whether they just prefer a character to be altered in some way or whatever. For me, it's no different than giving Soldier 76 his Dad 76 persona, it's just a physical alteration instead of a character one. It was always possible that Blizzard might go in a different direcction, but it never bothered me that people made her fat and I don't think it should bother anyone else.

Yours is a pretty good compromise. She can still probably be made to be a bit thick in the game, rather than fat, which would be a good middleground.

There's a difference between iterative changes, like changing the outfit details and weapon and major changes to the base stature of the character. While people can make an assumption they decided to make her fat it's not reasonable to label the design in the spray as a "backpedal" since non-fat Mei is consistent with every design we've been shown of her without layers and layers of clothing.

Think people will care?
That encapsulates the fandom so much.
If there's one thing that I've taken away from this thread is that people will stick to their head-canon regardless of pesky things like reality.

Veelk

Banned
There's a difference between iterative changes, like changing the outfit details and weapon and major changes to the base stature of the character. While people can make an assumption they decided to make her fat it's not reasonable to label the design in the spray as a "backpedal" since non-fat Mei is consistent with every design we've been shown of her without layers and layers of clothing.

Well, first off, no there aren't any differences because literally anything about a character can change from concept art to the final interation. Mei could have become fire based, could have become a man, could have become any nationality besides chinese. In fact, one major change I don't think most people know of is that Mei started off as a cheerful hero in concept art and was changed into being evil incarnate that puts on the disguise of a cheerful hero. Concept art isn't canon and doesn't qualify as proof of anything, ever because we never know what changed and what stayed the same unless it's evident in the game itself, at which point the concept art 'evidence' is redundant. A best, it suggests possibilities a fan can infer a theory from if they didn't think of them alreadfy. The most you could have said before this reveal was "Well, Mei might not be fat since here it shows she wasn't". But really, you didn't even need concept art for that. Anyone could know that a thin person could look fat in a big winter coat. So concept art isn't meaningful for fan theories either way.

For a fan theory to be viable, it doesn't really need support from canon, just nothing that outright contradicts it. So, when Blizzard revealed her as being thin, Blizzard wasn't backpedaling on anything and I never claimed anything like that. They just eliminated a viable fan theory. Now, Mei being fat is unviable since we have canonical evidence to the contrary. And I just think that's a disappointment. I'd rather have fat Mei.

Mush

NHNxw08.jpg

If we look at the image on the right (the one you provided), we can clearly see that her arms have some definition to them, as well as her bust. I don't think it's too farfetched to say that Mei is on the larger side, if we're comparing her to the other female heroes currently in the game.
LB2YS4B.png

This is a model of Mei as she currently is in the game right now. You could make the argument that from the waist up her clothes give her the appearance of a much larger woman, but her legs? Again, compare her to the other characters on the roster.

I know that the spray in question is essentially a caricature of Mei, but I'm just disappointed that it doesn't quite match up with her in-game representation we have of her right now.

Well, first off, no there aren't any differences because literally anything about a character can change from concept art to the final interation. Mei could have become fire based, could have become a man, could have become any nationality besides chinese. In fact, one major change I don't think most people know of is that Mei started off as a cheerful hero in concept art and was changed into being evil incarnate that puts on the disguise of a cheerful hero. Concept art isn't canon and doesn't qualify as proof of anything, ever because we never know what changed and what stayed the same unless it's evident in the game itself, at which point the concept art 'evidence' is redundant. A best, it suggests possibilities a fan can infer a theory from if they didn't think of them alreadfy. The most you could have said before this reveal was "Well, Mei might not be fat since here it shows she wasn't". But really, you didn't even need concept art for that. Anyone could know that a thin person could look fat in a big winter coat. So concept art isn't meaningful for fan theories either way.

For a fan theory to be viable, it doesn't really need support from canon, just nothing that outright contradicts it. So, when Blizzard revealed her as being thin, Blizzard wasn't backpedaling on anything and I never claimed anything like that. They just eliminated a viable fan theory. Now, Mei being fat is unviable since we have canonical evidence to the contrary. And I just think that's a disappointment. I'd rather have fat Mei.
I never asserted that you claimed there was backpedaling

^This is the specific post I was responding to when I said that Blizzard is not backpedaling.

And yes, while a great deal of things can change between concept and final stages, in this case, it's clear that most of the concepts presented in this art made it through to the final character. Thus, it's not unreasonable to assume that the stature of Mei would remain the same unless proven otherwise. Which in this case, it was not.

And I don't at all agree with the thought that "For a fan theory to be viable, it doesn't really need support from canon, just nothing that outright contradicts it."

Perhaps we have different concepts of what viability is, but if the only thing a theory has going for it is that it's not contradicted by the canon I just consider it non-sense. If the theory has some sort of actual basis in the actual game story or concept materials then I'd consider it viable.

Son Of D

With the summer games update giving Soldier 76 a golf victory pose and a golf spray, I hope we get some comics and/or fanarts of him trying to play golf but everyone else just getting in his way.

Top Bottom