• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris movie moving ahead, planned as a trilogy

maxcriden

- $80 million China-U.S. co-production
- handled by Threshold Global Studios, a new banner formed by Bruno Wu and producer Larry Kasanoff
- team-up between Kasanoff’s Threshold Entertainment Group and Wu’s Seven Star Works
- Mortal Kombat producer Kasanoff is in Cannes speaking with international sales agents
- team has been working with The Tetris Company for over a year
- financing has been secured
- plan is to film in China and other locations in 2017
- billed as a sci-fi thriller
- film is seen as the first part of a trilogy
-Threshold’s Jimmy Lenner is executive producing with The Tetris Company and Seven Stars

Via:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...movie-takes-shape-with-80-million-in-funding/

http://deadline.com/2016/05/tetris-...off-threshold-global-china-cannes-1201758000/

http://gonintendo.com/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Now, this movie series could be amazing, don't get me wrong.

But somebody saying there's going to a Tetris movie almost sounds like a joke. Now saying they're planning a Tetris film trilogy sounds almost like pure parody.

I mean, it sounds like they're going for some dark sci-fi thriller based off of... Tetris. Why? I'm not saying it couldn't work, if done correctly anything could work. But... Why? I guess why not in this case. Be curious and somewhat puzzled to see how this develops.

Cardon

The fact that Larry Kassanoff is doing this has me intrigued in all the wrong ways. With him involved this could end up being goofy than the live-action Super Mario Bros. movie.

EuanThePooan

Neo Member
What is the genre even going to be? When I think Tetris I think ultra-violent cyberpunk martial arts horror thriller but who knows

Revan

giphy.gif

A Tetris movie. A movie about Tetris. A trilogy of Tetris movies.

Fucking what?

And it's live-action?

How many drugs were involved in this whole process?

In a world where all tetramino's have always fit together, one tetramino decides to go rogue. In this sci fi thriller, L. Block flips and turns his way right into the heart of a goverment conspiracy that threatens to crumble all conformity. Part 1 in theaters 2017

Cronee

I don't see how this can stack up to the hype that is tetris. Though, I suppose if all the pieces just fall into place..

DZ_b_EZ

OH MY GOD!!

You know what would make this awesome?? If it were real life and all the characters were dressed up in Tetris outfits with their arms and legs out, but they all know martial arts.
What if its kind of like a Sleeping Dogs, gritty story were in order to defeat the opponent they have match connect on them??

I don't know this is coming off the top of my head XD

mikeyvids

Neo Member
The only way I see a remotely interesting trilogy coming out of this is

1. The only thing that might work is the story of Alexey Pajitnov making Tetris as a personal biographical film

2. Nintendo & Gameboy Tetris success / legal battle as legal / business drama.

3. Post-gameboy Tetris as a documentary following the Tetris scene and influence in subcultures e.g. people who program building lights into playable Tetris games.

Malice215

I wish I had enough wealth to decide to spend $80 million on a damn Tetris blockbuster trilogy.

It can't be worse than Pixels can it?

Feichaw

Let's just take a deep breath and enjoy the ride, ok. No thoughts. Only feelings are allowed. It's gonna be an emotional experience for everyone.

Top Bottom