• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop charged with murder in 2011 shooting death

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

Note that prosecutors initially chose to not press charges.
Stockley then approached Smith’s car on the driver’s side and shot five times into the car, striking Smith with each shot. A gun was recovered from the victim’s car, but lab analysis revealed the presence of only Stockley’s DNA, according to the documents.
The shooting occurred under Chief Dan Isom’s administration, and while the police department was under the state’s control. In 2012, Joyce said, the police department sent its investigation into Smith’s shooting to her office for an “informal review” after U.S. Attorney Richard Callahan’s office declined to prosecute the case.

A bit more from The Guardian:
St Louis circuit attorney Jennifer Joyce said in a statement that Jason Stockley was on duty when he first fired at Anthony Lamar Smith after police say Stockley witnessed a drug deal. Joyce alleges that during an ensuing pursuit of Smith’s car, with speeds exceeding 80mph, Stockley can be heard on his in-car video telling his partner he was “going to kill this (expletive), don’t you know it”.

After Stockley and his partner in their police sport utility vehicle forced Smith’s car to stop, prosecutors allege, Shockley approached Smith’s car and fired five times into its driver’s side, striking Smith with each round and killing him.

Lab tests showed that a gun found in Smith’s vehicle had Stockley’s DNA on it, Joyce said, suggesting that Smith was unarmed.
Federal prosecutors who reviewed the circumstances of Smith’s death at the request of St Louis police declined in 2012 to charge Stockley. But in March, Joyce said her office gave the matter a fresh look, given unspecified “additional evidence” developed by St Louis police and the FBI.

Joyce said she plans to present the case to a grand jury in coming weeks, adding that the US Justice Department also is reviewing the matter.

What the hell. My office has helped cover a number of pursuits and one of the first interactions that occurs on the radio is a declaration of charges, speed, traffic, and road conditions. There is zero chance they'd do a pursuit of a drug dealer on wet residential roads at 80 mph here. Not only did he kill that man, he damaged city, public, and private property, and put completely innocent people at risk with that display of driving. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the behavior of somebody who approaches a suspect with a personal weapon, because his decision making is so clearly terrible and unfit. Everything in this video frustrates me.

manfestival

What the hell. My office has helped cover a number of pursuits and one of the first interactions that occurs on the radio is a declaration of charges, speed, traffic, and road conditions. There is zero chance they'd do a pursuit of a drug dealer on wet residential roads at 80 mph here. Not only did he kill that man, he damaged city, public, and private property, and put completely innocent people at risk with that display of driving. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the behavior of somebody who approaches a suspect with a personal weapon, because his decision making is so clearly terrible and unfit. Everything in this video frustrates me.
Keep in mind that justice has been served as he has been found guilty

They should be scouring the whole department. I refuse to believe Stockley is an atypical officer among his peers. And to think it was almost not pursued. Jesus Christ.

Jerrod

He wasn't even driving, his partner was who I don't believe was charged with anything.

JP_

Banned
a362722d21.png

...this cop was using a personal ak47 with drum magazine. what the fuck.

Cuburt

Holy fucking shit!

That is like a scene from a movie of police corruption, like Training Day. This seems so blatant.

A personal AK with a drum magazine. Planted evidence. Recording of the cops telling his partner he'll kill the guy. Wreckless driving in wet conditions.

This is nuts. There desperately needs to be police reform in this country

Alexlf

Waiting for him to say that he feared for his life, all charges to be dropped, and after his 5 years payed vacation he'll be right back to work(maybe even with a promotion due to seniority).

Go ahead justice system, prove me wrong. Please.

Glix

Holy fucking shit!

That is like a scene from a movie of police corruption, like Training Day. This seems so blatant.

A personal AK with a drum magazine. Planted evidence. Recording of the cops telling his partner he'll kill the guy. Wreckless driving in wet conditions.

This is nuts. There desperately needs to be police reform in this country

And it takes all of that and five years for one of these people to be held responsible.

I'm surprised the police haven't threatened to not protect the judges and juries anymore. Thats usually how they roll when facing any sort of pressure to accept responsibility for their actions.

Enzom21

And it takes all of that and five years for one of these people to be held responsible.

I'm surprised the police haven't threatened to not protect the judges and juries anymore. Thats usually how they roll when facing any sort of pressure to accept responsibility for their actions.

No one else who helped him plant the gun is facing punishment, so it's even worse.

Culex

Banned
FIVE YEARS, this took! Holy shit.

Pretty damning evidence.

Here's my prediction:

Acquitted on murder charges, but guilty of lying to IA, etc. 2 year term, lowered to probation only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom