• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Mirror’s Edge to be adapted as TV Series by Endemol Shine Studios

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Moving on from video game films, we're now going to video game TV shows.

Deadline said:
Endemol Shine Studios, the scripted division of Endemol Shine North America, has acquired the action-adventure video game property Mirror’s Edge to adapt for television as a female-centered action series.

Developed by EA DICE and published Mirror's Edge Catalyst by Electronic Arts, Mirror’s Edge is set in a quasi-futuristic dystopian society in which a network of “runners” act as couriers to transmit messages while evading government surveillance. The game’s main character and heroine is Faith, a runner and skilled warrior whose sister is framed for murder. The narrative follows Faith as she is drawn into the fight against the ruling Conglomerate and becomes enveloped in a conspiracy that could bring down society itself.

Endemol Shine Studios 2“We clearly see Mirror’s Edge as a franchise for the global TV audience,” said Sharon Hall, President of Endemol Shine Studios. “It has a strong female protagonist, a wildly rabid fan base and a worldwide brand that Electronic Arts and EA DICE have done an amazing job establishing.”

Source: http://deadline.com/2016/05/mirrors-edge-video-game-adapted-tv-endemol-shine-studios-1201762639/

Whoa, surprising, but if done well, could be interesting. It seems like it could carve an Orphan Black-esque following, almost?

A-V-B

TnQRX6v.gif

Philippo

Well i feel games are more suited to be adapted into TV series rather than movies, gives much more time to expand on narrative and such.

Redx508

i don't know how i feel about this maybe it works out

is there any other TV show based on a game? can't think of any

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
yes clearly the riveting plot and deep characterization of mirror's edge bring a lot to the table as compared the fifty other near-future sci-fi dystopia vancouver shows.

Seems like they're just optioning the rights, so I highly doubt we'll even see a pilot out for this - much less a series.

I could see it being solid, though. Get a solid cinematographer to retain the visual feel of the game, and make it an ongoing series about the lives, jobs, and challenges of the runners. More had been done with less.

Mr Robot is already Mirror's Edge for people who don't like to run, or walk or be outside at all really.

If it was Ms Robot x District B13 and on Netflix instead of TV, it could be awesome.

It has a strong female protagonist

Not really.

a wildly rabid fan base

Yes, but that fan base is rabid for the gameplay not the story. The story in the first was horrible and the one we've heard of so far in the sequel seems to be just as bad.

and a worldwide brand that Electronic Arts and EA DICE have done an amazing job establishing.

ME isn't that popular or else we wouldn't have had to beg for years for a sequel.

louiedog

What has Endemol Shine Studios worked in before this?

I looked them up earlier and apparently some reality TV shows, Hell on Wheels on AMC, and some DirecTV show (they have original content?) I've never heard of called Kingdom with the main bad guy SHIELD/Hydra solider from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Get a solid cinematographer to retain the visual feel of the game, and make it an ongoing series about the lives, jobs, and challenges of the runners. More had been done with less.

This.

I think it would definitely be a visuals/tone over plot kind of show, but I actually think we need more of that in the world.

Onaco

So it'll come out after Half-Life 3, Mighty No. 9's next delay, Agent, GTAVI, and the Uncharted Movie, right?

NOTHING ABOUT NEITHER THE NEW MIRROR'S EDGE UNIVERSE OR THE PREVIOUS ONE IS INTERESTING ON A THEMATIC OR NARRATIVE LEVEL

PEOPLE ONLY CARE ABOUT THE RUNNING

...*ahem*

This seems ill-conceived.

NOTHING ABOUT NEITHER THE NEW MIRROR'S EDGE UNIVERSE OR THE PREVIOUS ONE IS INTERESTING ON A THEMATIC OR NARRATIVE LEVEL

PEOPLE ONLY CARE ABOUT THE RUNNING

...*ahem*

This seems ill-conceived.

The angry birds movie turned out good. Maybe if they ignore everything about mirror's edge's themes and narrative they can make a good movie out of it.

I always liked Mirror's Edge setting, MC and story. It was a nice compliment to Flower at the time, for me.

I like the setting, or at least the style of heavy red and blues and the gleaming white buildings and blue skies. That's consistently gorgeous. And Faith is a great design.

But hoooooooly shit is the story just the most utterly boring "corporation r bad!" drivel. The new one throws in a healthy dose of angst for good measure. Like, it's so utterly nothing.

Not trying to invalidate your enjoyment of it, of course. I'm just confused as to why EA thinks that's where the meat of Mirror's Edge is.

But take away Mirror's Edge's gameplay and all you have is a cool heroine, good music and a generic dystopian future setting and plot.

And they'll probably give Faith a gun...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How could they possibly do this? City of glass is as much a character as Faith. It'd take an absurd amount of money to realize that environment. Even if you went the Spartacus route and green-screened all of it.

Idk seems like a dreadful property for a television show. And I adore Mirror's Edge.

Kathian

Banned
When do you think people will get that the good thing about Mirrors Edge was purely the fast paced platforming?

Top Bottom