• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 shot, 1 killed at T.I. show in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

A 33-year-old man was killed and three other people were wounded when gunfire broke out during a rap concert at Irving Plaza in Manhattan on Wednesday night, sending panicked concertgoers streaming for the exits, the police and witnesses said.

The victims were three men and one woman, a spokesman for the New York Police Department said. One of the men arrived at New York University Medical Center on his own, the police said. The motive for the shootings was unclear, and no arrests had been made as of late Wednesday night, the police said.

The rapper T.I. was about to headline a concert at the club in the Union Square area when shots were fired around 10:15 p.m., witnesses and the police said. The rappers Maino and Uncle Murda were on stage when the shooting happened in a third-floor green room, the police said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/n...rving-plaza-during-ti-concert-police-say.html

Scary stuff, I used to go to Irving Plaza all the time. Stay safe out there, GAF.

Editors Note: T.I. is a popular rap artist, both in the general category of "Southern" rap, and the hip hop subgenre trap music. You may know him as the guy who raps (definition: speaks rhythmically in rhyming verse) over part of 2013 hit single Blurred Lines.

tkscz

Starting to get a little suspicious about T.I.'s concerts. He was here in Cincinnati once and the same thing happened. Either someone is following him trying to start shit, or this shit is set up.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Shooting in the green room? So someone in the crew or entourage? At least it wasn't out in the crowd or anything, people just trying to have a good time.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
It was in the green room?

They buried the lede on that story... they were concert goers, but they were in some way involved with the show, or knew someone to get them backstage.

Everyone shouldn't be scared that by going to a show, you're going to get shot... there seems to be special circumstances behind the incident.

Shit I work near there but it would've been after hours.....and I wasn't going to the show.....and I'm on vacation....but I was there it would've been bad though.

Mesousa

Banned
Starting to get a little suspicious about T.I.'s concerts. He was here in Cincinnati once and the same thing happened. Either someone is following him trying to start shit, or this shit is set up.

This shooting probably had nothing to do with him, but he is a douchebag.

I was at Lennox mall here in Atlanta one time in line with my girlfriend at the great American cookie company and dude had his body guards break everybody in line so he could get his order first. Then they had the audacity to look at us like we are supposed to be honored to have even been in the same area as him.

Scumbags usually have these type of things follow them.

E92 M3

Are people really whining and debating about a calculator joke in a thread about people being shot and killed?

Well, these days it's very common for people to say "who?" in threads. And I took it as a deviation of that. Overall, it adds nothing to the conversation.

CHC

This is definitely shitty. One of the most annoying parts is how this will probably make security a big drag for everyone for the next couple years. Irving Plaza was cool because it was one of those still-kind-of-grungy venues you could just stroll into without a big fucking fiasco. I hope they don't become like Terminal 5 now where it's basically like going through a fucking TSA checkpoint just to see a concert. Nothing dampens enthusiasm like that.

Well, these days it's very common for people to say "who?" in threads. And I took it as a deviation of that. Overall, it adds nothing to the conversation.

"Who?" should honestly just be bannable in all the OT threads.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
When your music is talking about guns you're probably going to pick up some fans that use guns. Some of those fans will come to your shows. And just maybe some of those fans will see someone that they've been looking for, or someone will say the wrong thing to them.

I'll never be surprised by a shooting at a T.I./Chief Keef/Fredo/etc. concert. That's what they rap about. T.I. less than the others, but still.

Ekdrm2d1

When your music is talking about guns you're probably going to pick up some fans that use guns. Some of those fans will come to your shows. And just maybe some of those fans will see someone that they've been looking for, or someone will say the wrong thing to them.

I'll never be surprised by a shooting at a T.I./Chief Keef/Fredo/etc. concert. That's what they rap about. T.I. less than the others, but still.

K-Water usually wears a vest at his live concerts.
K stands for Killa (water)
Blank%20K%20Water%20spc2007.jpg

South Park Coalition <3

Ronin Ray

This shooting probably had nothing to do with him, but he is a douchebag.

I was at Lennox mall here in Atlanta one time in line with my girlfriend at the great American cookie company and dude had his body guards break everybody in line so he could get his order first. Then they had the audacity to look at us like we are supposed to be honored to have even been in the same area as him.

Scumbags usually have these type of things follow them.

The insane leap of logic at the end of this post is mind blowing

Kreed

Adding a little more to the OP's story, three of the people shot were rapper Troy Ave, Troy Ave's girlfriend, and member of his crew Big Bizz (who died).

This is definitely shitty. One of the most annoying parts is how this will probably make security a big drag for everyone for the next couple years. Irving Plaza was cool because it was one of those still-kind-of-grungy venues you could just stroll into without a big fucking fiasco. I hope they don't become like Terminal 5 now where it's basically like going through a fucking TSA checkpoint just to see a concert. Nothing dampens enthusiasm like that.

This is exactly what's going to happen. Say goodbye to just walking into Irving Plaza with a quick pat down.

TI was a pretty common short form for Texas Instruments. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments)

Edit: And before anyone insinuates it, I'm not trying to make light of the shitty situation, obviously people getting hurt and killed is serious.

So you didn't read the OP then?

I know - used one a lot in college, but how is it relevant to this thread?

You and I both know, Texas Instrument wouldn't be doing a show. If you didn't know who TI was, a 3 second google search would show it.

Plus it literally said Rapper TI in the OP he didn't read. LOVE ME SOME RAPPER TEXAS INSTRUMENTS MY MAN

Three sentences long OP too :/

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Adding a little more to the OP's story, three of the people shot were rapper Troy Ave, Troy Ave's girlfriend, and member of his crew Big Bizz (who died).

To me it seems like Troy Ave was the target. Just happened to be at a T.I. concert. Troy was on XM a couple of months ago talking wreckless about how he still does dirt along with rapping and he ain't scared of anyone. He was basically daring anyone to come at him. Not saying it was related, but it seemed that he was in no hurry to live the "good life".

To me it seems like Troy Ave was the target. Just happened to be at a T.I. concert. Troy was on XM a couple of months ago talking wreckless about how he still does dirt along with rapping and he ain't scared of anyone. He was basically daring anyone to come at him. Not saying it was related, but it seemed that he was in no hurry to live the "good life".

Yeah, Troy Ave's been on some dumb shit.

Rapping bad about Capital Steez's suicide was the moment where I knew I had enough of him.

Are people really whining and debating about a calculator joke in a thread about people being shot and killed?

What else would you like to see posted?

"I feel sad that people were shot, hope the people who were shot recover, RIP person who died."

Honestly if it were up to me these threads of mass shootings in the USA would have to have a special detail or interesting point to them to exist. Maybe even just make a "USA mass shootings" |OT|.

Then again, having a famous(ish) rapper be a victim is something to talk about, I guess.

In any case, it's the same bloody shit all the time, but the majority of Americans just seem to not give a fuck about mass shootings. It's hard to find interesting discussions on it seeing as a mass shooting in the USA is statistically more common than the fucking sunrise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom