• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer sells over 500K copies in 4 days; Fastest-selling Total War ever

Feeroper

Wow! That is great news. I have been loving the game so far, and am very happy to see it get this deserved success.

Wish they would have released a physical version over here in North America though (other than the High King Edition that was available for order online).

Glad to see Creative Assembly doing well. They're the only people making these style of games so its nice to see people playing them.

Makes me wonder what other IPs they could apply the Total War formula too? Lord of the Rings seems obvious but I imagine WB wouldn't let that happen.

I'll take Medieval 3 any day of the week.

Wow congrats to the team. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but it seems to be well liked. I guess with that kind of performance we will be seeing plenty of expansions / potential sequel coming.

Enosh

Now we get Total War 40K?
I'd hate to move around 100s of SMs, or eldar as a single unit, would look stupid as fuck

on topic, man GW should have waited like a year or two before killing off WHFB, then again not sure if the success in this would have translated to any meaningful gains for the TT version

It's a really great game with a stunningly masterful OT handcrafted by a dedicated and determined GAF member. I'm really glad the series is seeing success. It's one of my faves.

roytheone

This is so great to hear! I was a bit fearful about the future of the RTS genre since we get a lot less of them these days, but success like these show that there is definitely still life in it left!

Feeroper

Glad to see Creative Assembly doing well. They're the only people making these style of games so its nice to see people playing them.

Makes me wonder what other IPs they could apply the Total War formula too? Lord of the Rings seems obvious but I imagine WB wouldn't let that happen.

I'll take Medieval 3 any day of the week.

For anyone familiar with D&D campaign settings - I would love to see a TW: Birthright game, or TW: Greyhawk Wars.

I'd be thrilled with a Forgotten Realms one too.

Now that they opened this door with Warhammer, feels like there is a lot of opportunity to explore with the TW series, but at the same time, I also really like their historically based games too.

Fuck me, that is crazy I knew it would do well but 500k copies already?

Man, people were thirsty for Total Warhammer.

Give me a 40k Total War game. NOW.

Proelite

Space marines moves as a command squad.
A commander squad is 5-10 men.

You'll never get a traditional Total War 40k game.

Biggest battles you'll see is like 1000 marines, as a chapter. You'll have to micro 100 units at a time.

Relic will keep making the 40k RTS games, and CA the fantasy games.

Theandrin

This is fantastic news! I've been itching for a fantasy setting Total War since I played the original Shogun, and it appears I'm far from the other one.

Toxi

Banned
Amazing, it's almost like people enjoyed the setting and factions Games Workshop gutted in favor of not-Spacemarines.

Nokterian

giphy.gif

yuraya

Very impressive for a full priced turn based RTS game. A fantasy one at that.

Congrats to Creative Assembly and SEGA.

Aki-at

First few days? What an amazing success for Creative Assembly and SEGA. It's kind of amazing how low key the hype is for Creative Assembly's game on GAF (I can even remember a few threads questioning where the hype has gone for this game) but on release they always pull mighty fine numbers.

Wonder just where this is going to stop in terms of sales, usually CA's games seem to end up between the 2 to 3 million mark but this looks like it's going to beat that figure handily :p

RulkezX

Very much enjoyed the game so far. I've bought every game since the original Shogun so it really pleases me to see them being successful.

Memory

The surprising thing to me is that none of the previous instalments sold that well. I always assumed it was a very popular series. I guess most sales were slow and steady.

The good news is that its likely they will do more dlc armies of forces I actually care about in the future.

DrWong

I was checking SteamSpy this morning and was like "virtually half a million already sold". It should clear the million this year and that's good news.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Sega dipped into that secret PC RTS sauce. Relic is next on the winning block

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Biggest battles you'll see is like 1000 marines, as a chapter. You'll have to micro 100 units at a time.

Don't focus on Space Marines then? Stick to the sides that specialize in fielding huge legions of soldiers, vehicles, etc. The Imperial Guard, the orcs, the Tyranids, and so on and so forth. They could have 4 huge unique factions and not even have to mention Space Marines. If anything make the Space Marines a special unit group that is almost like a hero unit but made up of like 10 SMs that assists the Imperial Guard.

Lingitiz

That's very cool and a good number for a niche pc exclusive.

I wouldn't say Total War is niche. It's been popular for a number of years, even if it doesn't attract a lot of attention on gaf. All the titles have always sold very well.

I can't believe there are people saying 40k would never work in a Total war game after the success of fantasy. If anything 40k is even MORE suitable to a Total War game than fantasy is.

Colossal battles between divisions of Imperial Guard and Orks, Leman Russ formations driving around with squads of killa kans chopping things up.

Bastion sieges instead of Fort/Castle sieges.

Hell the code for large enemies and aircraft is already in now. Everything is possible.

Jarnet87

yeah 40k doesn't really fit Total War, would still be awesome though. I love that they have legit special characters in Total Warhammer. I don't believe the Dawn of War games have lore characters but I've only played 1 and a bit of 2. Not sure if any other 40k games have special characters as well.

They could do 30k then. There were no limitations on chapter sides because it was before the codex astartes. 30k is pretty popular right now too.

You could still do a 40k version as well. Just have a founding chapter and their successor chapters together on the field.

It's Warhammer, so anything is possible to fudge the limitations from a lore perspective.

Jarnet87

They could do 30k then. There were no limitations on chapter sides because it was before the codex astartes. 30k is pretty popular right now too.

You could still do a 40k version as well. Just have a founding chapter and their successor chapters together on the field.

It's Warhammer, so anything is possible to fudge the limitations from a lore perspective.

Total Horus Heresy War

I'd die.

Horus vs the Emperor, dear lawd.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Total War 40k and Total War of Thrones seem shoo-ins at this point.

Game of Thrones has been awfully underused for strategy games anyway. CK2-style game is practically born for it.

4Tran

That's not surprising. Not only is Total War: Warhammer really good, but it appeals to an audience that wouldn't otherwise have any interest in any of the historical Total War games. It's an excellent example of how to use a licensed IP to bring freshness to an existing formula.

There's very little chance of that. The Total War formula is all about large bodies of troops fighting in formation. 40K isn't suited to that so there would be little interest in actually making such a game.

Then make space marines super elite units lioe they are supposed to be.

Just roll the space marines with imperial guards into a general imperium faction and the guard regiments will be your basic cheap unit. Space marines will be your elite shock troops.

I am totally fine with them not having individual space marine chapters as armies. Treat it more like 40k apocalypse with thousands of dudes per army. Also, titans.

You wouldn't play SMs as their own faction, they'd be units you could deploy as part of the greater Imperium faction. Imperial Guard would make up the bulk of the army with Space Marines being the high-tier stuff. Maybe with their own buildings so you can go divergent with your builds, like maybe focusing one region on making tanks/artillery while the other focuses on SM stuff. You could have a Chapter Master as Lord/Hero option.

4Tran

I imagine Creative Assembly has no idea what to do about automatic weapons.
Fall of the Samurai had automatic weapons. It's more that the game design isn't meant for long ranged weapons and spread out formations. Any battlefield even as advanced as World War I wouldn't fit a Total War game.

That's awesome. It seems to be one of the smoother launches they've had in a long time, and the game seems really good. I like the tendency these couple of years of informed customers, it seems to be that good games sell more than they used to and bad games sell less. This is a good thing, it obviously gives developers incentive to actually put effort into the making of their games.

Chiggs

Fantastic game. Wish I could say I bought it, but it came free with my Radeon 390x.

Loving it so far.

Top Bottom