• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just tipped $3.50 on a $100 meal by mistake. Halp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
My boyfriend used a Groupon and tipsy me said I'd get the check not think about any of it so when it got to me, it was like $20. So I tipped $3.50. And now I'm home and realized my huge mistake. What do I do? Nothing? Do I need to go back this weekend and drop off more money?

Pre-groupon, the total would have been like $100 for the meal

Permanently A

They tampered with your food.

fb0.jpg

bachikarn

I made the same mistake at an Outback (not as egregious though). I tipped 2 bucks because the after coupon price was like 10 bucks, but didn't realize the mistake till I was driving home. I considered going back, but I let it go.

Go back if you're really torn up about it, but you would want to make sure to go back when your waiter is there so perhaps call ahead.

Still..It's not the end of the world. Waiters have shitty nights and they have great nights. You're probably losing more sleep over it than they are.

It probably happens all the time with Groupons. You know it was an accident, so you shouldn't feel guilty. I would forget about it but if it bothers you, call and talk about it to the manager.

Don't ever show your face in the restaurant again. They likely have your photo on a wall in the back already "SPIT IN THIS PERSONS FOOD"

PK Gaming

You made a mistake, but it's best not to dwell on it

It's like alerting your teacher to a mistake they made that ended giving you a higher grade on a test

You tip on what you paid unless the establishment themselves are giving you the discount fam.

$4 is reasonable for a $20 bill.

bigkrev

If you feel guilty, go back. Otherwise, you left a reasonable tip for a $20 check, and not everybody tips based on the pre discounted total. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is normal and 10 means you are a complete monster, you are at a 2 or a 3.

You can never go back to that restaurant again

(And are you seriously upset that you didn't tip as much as you paid for the meal?)

Omadahl

Banned
Why would you go back to tip? Is tipping really a major thing in America? That sounds so dumb.

We don't like to pay people livable wages in this country. Most restaurants are only paying waiters $2-3 an hour and they live on tips. It's fucking stupid.

Never go back to that restaurant, unless you wear a disguise.

They remember every single, stingy, low life, scum of the earth 3% tipper, trust me.

gnexus

Servers typically pay 3 to 5% of their total sales to their bartenders, busboys, and runners to help pay wages for the poor, poor restaurant that can't afford to pay their employees.

On the flip side, stuff like this happens, so the server was probably like "wtf man" but then got over it an hour or two later. Don't dwell on it too much.

Why would you go back to tip? Is tipping really a major thing in America? That sounds so dumb.

Some would say it's the only thing in America

If you're losing sleep over go back and try to talk something out, maybe leave an extra tip the next time you go, otherwise meh

Standard tip is 15% of the meal. You add or subtract from it if you got exceptionally good or bad service. I calculated like 18% of $20 but I should have done 18% of $100

That's a lot. Where I live its like 5-10% if you are generous.
Are waiter wages that bloody awful in the us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom