• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Mirror's Edge Catalyst DRM Limits PC Users to 4 H/W Upgrades (likely per day)

slapnuts

If you buy the game today, decide you don't like performance and upgrade the GPU, that's two activations. If you swap the CPU next year – or just install a new board/CPU platform altogether – that's the third activation. One more hardware change, that's it. Buy the game again.

We've gotten through four video cards in our GPU suite (which spans more than 10 total devices) and have already encountered the dreaded “We're Sorry. An error has occurred. Too many computers have accessed this account's version of Mirror's Edge Catalyst.”

We're starting to get a little frustrated with EA over this brazen assault on the PC enthusiast culture. The intentions are legitimate: EA hopes to prevent piracy, or something, by attacking its consumers – that's normal. Not great, but normal. We can work with that to some extent. Unfortunately, because EA sees everything as a new computer, the limitations are far more severe than totally new system installations. It'd be reasonable to mark a platform upgrade – a new CPU & motherboard, maybe a new OS – as a new computer. Moving from one video card to the next does not, however, constitute a new computer. We haven't tested if a new OS install (e.g. a re-install after virus infection, which is common) also drains an activation.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/2470-mirrors-edge-catalyst-drm-limits-activations-to-4-upgrades

488ff8b5b009d002d059b5e5265e9f96_XL.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh fuck right off EA. At least it's not permanent, but it's fucking ridiculous. Even my damn Windows install survived two motherboard replacements without as much as a peep about "lol ur hardware dun match"

Storm360

This is caused by Denuvo I believe?

The activations should reset tommorow... If they do its a Denuvo issue.

If its not and its something they've added... Shame. I was going to pick this up

It says right on it "Please try again later". Wouldn't that imply it's just a cooldown of sorts?

The guys at Gamers Nexus who are benchmarking the game probably tried a ton of different hardware configurations within the span of a few hours, which likely set this off.

Wagram

EA continues being shit. How many times can I breath while playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst? There has to be a limit.

Alienous

It says right on it "Please try again later". Wouldn't that imply it's just a cooldown of sorts?

The guys at Gamers Nexus who are benchmarking the game probably tried a ton of different hardware configurations within the span of a few hours, which likely set this off.

It does mention 'recently'.

Could it be this?

J@hranimo

Banned
That's...really bizarre.

As someone who will be getting a new laptop (lol) that will run this that is quite a way to lock people out of games. They need to fix that.

OCD Guy

Exactly.

Not only that but the keyword seems to be RECENTLY. If it was a hard coded limit it certainly wouldn't say "Please try again later" either.

It seems like it's aimed more at those people that game share, as opposed to stopping legitimate owners from upgrading their hardware. People don't upgrade their hardware every day. So it likely won't effect the majority of people. But those that game share tend to do it within a very short time frame, often the same day.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wait this again? We already went though this! This shouldn't be a thing anymore. Why is this suddenly a thing again?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I was kind of on the fence already with the lukewarm response the game is getting, but this just seals it.

Thanks for saving me $60 EA.

Fracas

#fuckonami

That's what I'm guessing.

But hey, this is the internet so ahhhhh i'm angry

EA, the fuck are you doing? Microsoft unleashed the abomination that is the Windows 10 store and you were out of the spotlight. Why one-up them with this shit?

Gattsu25

Banned
God fucking damnit.

This is legit going to decide if I buy the game or not, especially since I am in the process of doing some upgrades to my PC.

Fucking hell.

Isomac

This is what I thought after reading that. People like to freak out before thinking, especially when it's something EA is doing!

Mit-

People are going to do exactly what they don't want them to do when they can't play the game they paid for a couple years ago because they've changed a few pieces of hardware or updated to the latest major Windows release.

EDIT: Unless this is not actually how this functionality works.

We already had that message discussed with Battlefield Hardline or something. The cooldown is something like 5 computers per 24 hours. Not an ideal situation, but hardly worth any pitchforks.

Teletraan1

Banned
Middling review scores, vague open world criticism, now a draconian DRM. They really have sent this franchise out to die. They should have just released it around Black Friday just to bury it in other releases to complete the quadruple threat of mishandling a franchise.

SMG

I've been juggling thoughts of what games I should by in the nex few mounths, thanks for making it easier EA.

PS please don't ruin BF1 and TF2.

iNvid02

iirc denuvo has an activation limit within a 24hr period to stop widespread sharing of games, although the number of activations in a lifetime are unlimited

it maybe in this site's review scenario they went over the limit

prudislav

iirc this is wellknown "feature" of Denuvo since Hardline I believe

PS: love how its hidden that its caused by Denuvo :-D

Vuze

Even if it is, what the hell is the point of shit like this nowadays?

If this turns out to be true, EA can fuck right off. And here I started actually thinking positively about them thanks to publishing Unravel, free Origin Games, Origin Access...

Top Bottom