• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Bridge Crew (VR platforms) E3 Trailer

Briarios

I can't wait -- it reminds me a board game called Space Alert ... the fun of the game was the real time social aspect; it's about the interactions more than a deep game. It looks casual, but I'm ok with that :)

Looks cool, not sure if I want to pick up the PS2 or Xbox version yet

this is how this game's nearest competition looks

maxresdefault.jpg

artemis2.jpg

we don't exactly play these games for their graphics. Even then, the character models leave a bit to be desired but the visuals on the Bridge screen look just fine to me, as someone who's acclimated to Artemis.

I can't wait -- it reminds me a board game called Space Alert ... the fun of the game was the real time social aspect; it's about the interactions more than a deep game. It looks casual, but I'm ok with that :)

This can't be stressed enough. This is what these games are about. Gathering a crew and getting really into your role. I know some of you are just barely keeping your heads from exploding since I just mentioned the word 'social' in reference to a VR game, but shit like this is perfect for the medium.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hands on with it:

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/star-trek-bridge-crew-vr/

Having played the demo of Star Trek: Bridge Crew at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles this week, I’m feeling ambivalent. On one hand, I kind of see the appeal: As a member of the bridge crew of a Starfleet ship that looks exactly like but definitely is not the Enterprise, you must communicate with the rest of the flight deck to control the ship’s functions without dying.

On the other hand, my experience amounted to waiting to being told that I had to press a certain button, and then pressing said button. Not exactly riveting, although perhaps Ubisoft is slow-rolling the demo so newbies don’t explode here at E3.

Button pressing simulator doesn't sound to appealing.

Skux

I played a bridge commander style iPad game (edit - Spaceteam), it's actually a lot of fun and craziness once things get hectic.

No way I'm getting four VR headsets though.

Button pressing simulator doesn't sound to appealing.

My family is waaaay into Star Trek. To us, Artemis, a very similar game (each player gets a 'role' on the ship and specialized controls on their station for assuming their role - you got comms officers, engineers, captain, weapons, etc. etc. and they all have to coordinate and share information in order to effectively control a ship), is way more than a 'button pressing simulator' - it's a means by which to socialize and roleplay with one another, despite the fact that we're spread all across the country. (That's how we use Artemis, anyway.) There's much more to the experience than just pushing buttons in Artemis, after all - even though you could describe the gameplay like that.

Is this the most expensive game to buy ever? Before even counting the cost of the game you need between 400-600 for the pc/ps4 and another 400-800 for the VR headset, times four in order to be able to experience it fully.

Seiru

Banned
I played a bridge commander style iPad game, it's actually a lot of fun and craziness once things get hectic.

No way I'm getting four VR headsets though.

I mean I think the intended use case is online multiplayer.

With the Rift's good mic and spatialized audio, there would literally be no difference between online and being in the same room.

Finally, the last time we had a Star Trek game involving the bridge was Star Trek: Bridge Commander which was fantastic too. I used to play Artemis a lot with my friends, we'll definitely be playing this too.

I've long dreamed of sitting on the bridge of The Enterprise. I can think of few things that would tank that dream faster than actually doing so in VR with three other real-world people.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My family is waaaay into Star Trek. To us, this game is way more than a 'button pressing simulator' - it's a means by which to socialize and roleplay with one another, despite the fact that we're spread all across the country. (That's how we use Artemis, anyway.) There's much more to the experience than just pushing buttons in Artemis, after all - even though you could describe the gameplay like that.

Honestly, this sounds like it's taken from a PR brochure.

Edit: unless you played the game already.

Honestly, this sounds like it's taken from a PR brochure.

I was speaking earnestly. Take a minute to look up Artemis and games like it. You'll find that what I've described is actually the typical use case for these sorts of games. They're more about roleplaying in a social space than they are about the input complexity of their gameplay. (And where Artemis is concerned, there's more depth to the gameplay than what's apparent on your given 'station')
edit: I'm being an ass sorry, I see now that my last post wasn't worded particularly well. I should point out that I'm assuming this game is going to be a lot like Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, a game which my family and I have played at length, basically as a Star Trek Bridge Simulator, lol.

I absolutely love the idea of this, I know you're essentially just sitting pushing buttons (which is kinda what you're doing in real life with almost every game, funnily enough), but being able to role play star trek missions on a vr bridge of a star trek ship is where the appeal lies for me. Really can't wait to try it out for myself!

OmegaFax

The graphics don't look great but it looks fun. Lavarr Burton, Jeri Ryan, and Karl Urban kind of sold it for me. They were totally plugging it but they captured the idea pretty well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I was speaking earnestly. Take a minute to look up Artemis and games like it. You'll find that what I've described is actually the typical use case for these sorts of games. They're more about roleplaying in a social space than they are about the input complexity of their gameplay. (And where Artemis is concerned, there's more depth to the gameplay than what's apparent on your given 'station')
edit: I'm being an ass sorry, I see now that my last post wasn't worded particularly well. I should point out that I'm assuming this game is going to be a lot like Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, a game which my family and I have played at length, basically as a Star Trek Bridge Simulator, lol.

Yeah, my post wasn't too bright on the first try either.

It would be interesting to know if this has local MP or combined VR with screen co-op.

Hycran

Banned
This is like playstation home mixed with star trek mixed with browser games from 1998? A smash hit waiting to happen.

I think if you have actually had intercourse with a woman, this game will actually give you your virginity back.

Dalmascus

i was at awesome con in DC about a week an a half ago and karl urban started talking about this. i figured he had leaked it early

cakefoo

It's a combo of the price and the fact that it'll be useless for me unless the headset has a way to compensate for my super strong glasses prescription.
As long as you can see near and far clearly in real life, you should be able to see clearly in VR with your glasses on.

Saganator

Might not be a looker, but I know once you put that headset on it doesn't matter. Look at Budget Cuts, game barely has any textures and no one cares because the game is awesome.

This looks promising. Graphics looked okay to me. After all, you gotta run this at a solid 90Hz at a pretty high resolution. Plus, in VR your brain pretty quickly accepts the world you're in, so I don't think that's going to be the issue.

I really wish they would upload more continuous gameplay. As much as I loved the cast geeking out about it, I want to see one mission from beginning to end and have the video cut between the different roles or something.

As long as you can see near and far clearly in real life, you should be able to see clearly in VR with your glasses on.
I'm not going to stick a headset on top of my glasses. It'll be a massive pain in the ass, much like dealing with 3D glasses.

Top Bottom