• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Average daily "steps" you've recorded over the past year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Checked out Apple's Health app for the first time on my iPhone 6, and the statistics are pretty cool. Not sure if Android devices feature something similar.

Apparently in the last year I've recorded a daily average of 8,231 steps.

FStop7

Banned

My daily average will be above 10,000 soon!

Though I have been cutting back on miles. I was doing between 6 and 9 miles a day and I've cut back to a little over 5, but with more intensity.

RG8r086.jpg

Red

My Fitbit shows my lifetime average at 12,251, but I've only had it three months.

Apple Health shows 9,209 daily average, but I don't have an Apple Watch, and don't always have my phone on me.

Craiji

My current year is 7k, but I have become very active in the last three months and never let myself go below 10k a day.

A6XQHQk.png

Daft Bird

At college I walk 4-8 miles a day and I take large steps. My phones step monitor has broken recently so I don't have exact step numbers.

Dennis

Banned
Are you a postman?

No. I keep my phone on me all the time so it record pretty much every step I take.

I don't know that 20,000 is all that much. Maybe 2-3 hours of walking a day.

I do walk to and from work plus some walks in the evening.

Last year was low, 8915, because i was mostly at home during some months.
New city and work and already have weekly averages above 13k.
Samsung S Fit app is nice because it gives you weekly summaries of your data and compares it to all other male users of that week (usually around 5400 steps).

I'm wearing a Samsung Gear Fit so I track pretty much everything.

Craiji

No. I keep my phone on me all the time so it record pretty much every step I take.

This is what I do regularly and it is very easy to blow past 20k a day like this.

I use to drive to the train station and then light rail after the train. Now it is only walking + train.

I'm terrible... About 4,000 - 5,000. I sit at my desk all day and get a handful of times a day. I know it's going to kill me one day.

Although I don't wear my fitbit when I play basketball because I hate it, and I play basketball at least 3x a week, and usually 4x.

Betty

Banned

I don't know how some of you are getting 10,000 or 20,000 so easy, it takes me 2 hours to walk 10,000 and that's tough enough.

Aisen

Neo Member
Wow some of you move a lot. I'm just over 6k and I thought that was good. I go for a walk every night but I work from home so I don't move much during the day.

I have a Fitbit. I just changed job locations, my new one has me inside most of the day so I only get about 2.5k steps naturally. My old jobsite I averaged ~6k naturally. With exercise I probably average around 7.5k steps a day. I wish I had more time to just move around at work.

Nipo

20k steps is about 12-15 miles a day. If Garmin is to be believed it is more than 98 percent of people with fitness trackers.

Mine is heavily skewed by being unemployed. Now that I have a job that I have to walk to places it's more than tripled. Like 4 k now but more in the last couple months.

Also only had the phone since December

Jacobi

Banned
This is what I do regularly and it is very easy to blow past 20k a day like this.

I use to drive to the train station and then light rail after the train. Now it is only walking + train.
My city is too small to walk that much ;)

Dennis

Banned
I actually don't know how reliable this Apple Health app on my phone is.

Does anyone have any sense if they can be trusted?

Darren870

About 14k.

I am trying to get up to 20k a day. I ride my bike to and from work everyday, so that helps.

You guys realize you should be aiming 10k+ a day right?

Craiji

My city is too small to walk that much ;)

Circles!

The power walking has helped me lose 30+ pounds. If anyone catches a guy aggressively power walking from the Caltrain on the Embarcadero on a weekday morning, that is most likely me.

Craiji

The phone does okay, but must be on you of course. The watch + phone is the most accurate, but that is a ton of dough.

bluehat9

I've wanted to count steps, but haven't been able to find an app for android that doesn't drain my battery too much (need my phone for music during the day too, which doesn't help the drain).

FStop7

Banned

I compare it to the distance on the treadmill and they're pretty close. Usually within .25 of a mile. It's consistent, though, which is what matters more to me than the actual distance.

It's stairs where my phone is all over the place. There have been many days where I'll do 10+ flights of steps and the phone registers only 1 or 2.

Dennis

Banned
So is there anyway to have the app report how much time I spent walking the steps it says I did?

I want to see what average walking speed I am doing.

AnAnole

About 17k per day. Haven't synced my fitbit charge HR in a while, but it's always over 15k and usually close to 20k.

Oxn

I walk about 12k steps a day when I go to work in the office, but since some days i work from home, and some weekends are un evenful i only avg around 7-8k a week.

About 14k.

I am trying to get up to 20k a day. I ride my bike to and from work everyday, so that helps.

You guys realize you should be aiming 10k+ a day right?

Currently I'm just aiming to have enough energy to wear pants. I average about 4-5k/day, but much of it is bouncing the kid to sleep, I'm sure.

Red

I don't know how some of you are getting 10,000 or 20,000 so easy, it takes me 2 hours to walk 10,000 and that's tough enough.
It's tough to walk 2 hours a day?

Isn't 10,000 steps a day the recommended minimum?

Looks like 10,000 is considered "moderately active." Around 4,000 is the minimum for chronic disease reduction. Or so a preliminary google tells me.

Darren870

Why's that?
It's when my Fitbit tells me I'm doing good!!

In reality, if you're not an active person its what is recommended by a few health organizations globally. At least 8k+

Currently I'm just aiming to have enough energy to wear pants. I average about 4-5k/day, but much of it is bouncing the kid to sleep, I'm sure.

Hahaha, you're not running around the park? Pushing the little one around? I pictured you as that type of mother! Then again it is freezing here at the moment!

Hoping all is well!!

Red

Does the Apple Watch allow you to calibrate your stride length? I had to change mine within the Fitbit app, because it was overestimating steps for my height.

It's when my Fitbit tells me I'm doing good!!

In reality, if you're not an active person its what is recommended by a few health organizations globally. At least 8k+

Hahaha, you're not running around the park? Pushing the little one around? I pictured you as that type of mother! Then again it is freezing here at the moment!

Hoping all is well!!

The weather's been shit in Adelaide last few weeks, sadly. I was hitting my 10k+ more often than not before that. There's also the matter of yo-yo-ing sleep. I'm starting to hit a wall and it ain't pretty.

Once she starts giving me consistently longer than 2 hr stretches at night I'll get right back in it again. I've been down to under my pre-pregnancy weight since she was about a month and a half but there's like zero muscle now. ;_; Pray for good weather in England for me, man.

9,960 in the past year, I've had this iPhone since June 9th of 2015. Considering how much I don't get out that seems a lot. My days off are mostly sit at home or go out and eat ever since I moved :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom