• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can beat The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without finishing the story

Thoraxes

via Polygon:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

Yooooooo

Absolutely fantastic, loving the pacing for BotW. Can't wait for all the naked Link speed-runs! (That sounds so creepy out of context.)

my poor speedrunning viewing experience

Toxi

Banned
I like this. It indicates the story of the game is something the player gets to discover naturally instead of having it forced upon them.

I'd hope there would at least be a couple of abilities you need that prevent you from doing this straight off (aside from the boss likely being far too strong), as I think sequence breaking should require some effort, but in general I approve of this - ideally something looser then super metroid or a link between worlds is fine, but not too loose I guess is what I'm saying

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hopefully that doesnt result in blander dungeons or very lenient design choices along the way.

I didn't think I'd live to see the OoT formula finally abandoned but it looks like it's actually happened. Much respect to Aonuma and the rest of the team.

This game is most likely going to end up being my favorite in the series.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd hope there would at least be a couple of abilities you need that prevent you from doing this straight off (aside from the boss likely being far too strong), as I think sequence breaking should require some effort, but in general I approve of this

Beating the final boss naked with some Korok Leaves will take a lot of effort.

Aters

Honestly I don't like this. A game should at least guide player's experience in some way. I usually don't know what to do and quit when given too many options in games.

Mariolee

That's fucking insane. Has there been any AAA game in recent memory that does this?

Theres been certain "far out" games ;) that have you avoid the entire game, but it doesn't exactly lead to the final boss. This is legitimately going from the opening moments straight to fighting the final boss. That's insanity.

Veldin

This strikes me as something they probably shouldn't be talking about. That's way too vague of a statement.

KingBroly

Banned
Honestly I don't like this. A game should at least guide player's experience in some way. I usually don't know what to do and quit when given too many options in games.

Well the game does have a story with a guidance system. If you don't get through it once, how are you gonna know where the final boss is?

chrono01

I'm sure there will be a guiding hand of sorts (such as the voice from the demo), pointing you in the next correct direction, so you won't be completely lost. Still, the option to go out of your way and do things in the order you prefer to do them, and even defeat the final boss right from the start, is astounding.

jonjonaug

Sounds like Chrono Trigger.

I wonder if it's possible to just accidentally find the final boss.

It's pretty obvious that the final boss is at the ruins of Hyrule Castle right from where you start the game, I think it'd be hard to "accidentally" fight it.

watershed

Banned
Right now my only major concern for this game is that the story is going to be even simpler than ALBW's. I like Zelda stories, interesting villains, cool npcs like Impa, and I'm a little worried that this new open structure has done away with a lot of that.

Miyamoto also talked about how parts of the story are revealed through the environment rather than through cutscenes. I wonder how true that is in the full game.

Mariolee

The game is guiding you.

There are towers the game tells you to go to reveal more of the land. Aonuma is just saying that you can ignore ALL of the guidance and do whatever the hell you want, albeit not without difficulty or consequences.

GCX

Of course the game will guide the player. Aonuma's just saying you can simply not follow the guiding and do things your way.

I like it, because if you end up finishing the game without seeing everything, that gives you a reason to do another playthrough. And each playthrough might have you discovering stuff you didn't on the previous one. The world is so massive, it's bound to happen.

It sounds like it'll be the Zelda game with easily the most replay value.

javadoze

I'm looking forward to the first Naked Link any% run with only tree branches used as swords. This game has some good potential for some self-imposed runs.

KingBroly

Banned
Right now my only major concern for this game is that the story is going to be even simpler than ALBW's. I like Zelda stories, interesting villains, cool npcs like Impa, and I'm a little worried that this new open structure has done away with a lot of that.

Miyamoto also talked about how parts of the story are revealed through the environment rather than through cutscenes. I wonder how true that is in the full game.

well...the story seems like it centers around Link this time, unlike in past games.

I don't think this is entirely true. I still think you have to get all the runes and the paraglider to access the final area. At that point, its up to your skills and gear.

Why I think this is because Nintendo clearly wants people to engage with the sandbox they've created especially the physics engine thus the intro area is designed as a refreshing albeit constructed introduction to the player abilities that will be used throughout the whole game. They want to know that the player has all the Runes so they can design complex areas.

Top Bottom