• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motohide Eshiro: No plans to bring The Great Ace Attorney west due to "circumstances"

GSR

Not much of a change from last what we heard, but worth reiterating. Cross-posting from CR:

Gamespot recently sat down with Eshiro and Yamazaki to chat about Spirit of Justice and localizing the series.

Will we ever get a localized version of Daigyakuten Saiban?

Eshiro: Unfortunately there's a number of circumstances... We absolutely do want to bring it to the West, but unfortunately due to these circumstances right now... I'm really really sorry! Nowadays on the Internet lots of fans are directly asking us, "Where's Daigyakuten Saiban?" On livestreams, even in the Japanese ones, people from the West will write in and ask where it is. Every time we say, we're sorry! Certain circumstances are kind of getting in the way.

It's good to hear they're aware of the demand for DGS, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like anything's in the works.

Why can't they talk about what these "circumstances" are?

I'd even take a "it won't sell enough". Remaining vague is not gonna satisfy anyone on this issue.

kulapik

My guess is that they can't find a way to localize it so it takes place in the US.

*eatyourhamburgersapollo.jpg*

DrArchon

Do the main AA games not do well enough in the West? I mean, localization probably costs a bunch thanks to all the text, and if DGS is like AA5 then there's probably some animated bits so you'd need VAs as well, but it's not like they'd be making physical versions of it or anything.

Very disappointing.

Is there something objectionable in the game? Sounds like he's imprint there's something that wouldn't fly overseas in the game.

I highly doubt that.

It's probably for the same reason they didn't localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and started selling the mainline series digital-only; the series doesn't sell super great so Capcom doesn't really care.

Do they not have the "rights" to Sherlock Holmes or something?

Sherlock Holmes is public domain stuff

Tizoc

It's likely that as this game is seen as a spin off, Capcom worry it won't do as well as the mainline series.

Miker

Maybe it's because Capcom had to decide between DGS and AA6 to localize, and only had the budget/manpower to localize AA6. DGS didn't light the Japanese charts on fire either, so it could be because Capcom thought they had a better product in AA6.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Of course. If Investigations 2, which couldn't have been nearly as hard to localize (a group of fans did it for free, and they did a great job), never came out in the west, there's no chance for this extremely Japanese game. It's a shame, but sadly it's never going to happen.

GSR

Circumstances such as "it won't sell enough to justify the cost of localization."

Pretty much. I'm not even so sure it's a question of basic "will this turn a profit", it's a question of opportunity cost for their localization team and wanting to keep the series focused/on-brand of "Phoenix".

-shadow-

Can't find enough ways for this?

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

Joqu

At least they're aware of the demand. It doesn't sound likely at this point, but that doesn't negative enough for me to give up on it. It might still be possible, I don't think it's too late yet. :/

Kieli

Let me translate it for you guys:

"It doesn't sell nearly enough for us to bother with the localization."

FluxWaveZ

Fuck.

Well, not like I actually expected it to be localized at this point, but hammering that point home doesn't make me feel great.

Nyoro SF

Most likely manpower and sales.

Is there something objectionable in the game? Sounds like he's imprint there's something that wouldn't fly overseas in the game.

There's one part of the game where an NPC cocks a pistol and aims it at their head, but it's part of black comedy where he overreacts about how if he's a failure of a shopkeeper then he might as well kill himself, but it turns out it's just a ruse to get clients to stop being demanding.

I suppose if Americans are not receptive of black comedy like that they can censor it. I think that would be giving in to fear though.

There's nationalist undertones in (very) few parts of the dialogue, but it fits the English historical period ("You can't trust Japanese people" or "Strange people from the Orient" from the British characters). But it's nothing that would cause an outrage since it's in context, unless you had the reading comprehension of a broccoli stalk.

Can't think of anything else offhand. The game has extremely little depicted violence. And since most of the game takes place in London and outside Japan, there's no weird Japanese setting issues.

FluxWaveZ

Now we're going to see DGS become an actual spin-off series in Japan, and none of its entries will be released in the West.

Fantastic.

Zakard

I heard the rumour that it has something to do with Sherlock Holmes. If I recall correctly it was due to the fact that in Japan they can use him freely but in the west certain circumstances prevent the freely usage of the characters and stories. Not sure if this is true though.

leroidys

I'm guessing manpower for the localization. MHG was by all accounts a huge undertaking to localize, then you throw in AA6 and possibly MH Stories.

It sucks though. I want this game way more than AA6 right now.

suzu

Why so damn vague. This sucks. :(

If it's to do with Sherlock Holmes, I wouldn't mind at all if they "changed" those characters up.

GSR

don't worry y'all, we're still getting aa6, which is a game where I burst out laughing at the finale and not because it was supposed to be funny

Zalman

I don't believe it has anything to do with the Japan/America thing. If they thought they could make money on the game, they would have found a way to bring it over.

Joqu

Anyway, "circumstances" implies to me that there's a reason for the lack of a localization that's more complicated than a simple lack in faith in a western release's sales potential. It might just be as simple as the western localization team only being able to handle one game at a time though, and with the 3DS getting pretty old at this point there might be a concern that it'd be too late to start translating that version once AA6 is done.

"There's this thing coming out called NX and we would rather port it to that one"

I don't think that makes a lot of sense.

I do hope it might get a second shot at localization in a similar way. (Not the NX in particular because I do think that's a home console only, but on Nintendo's next handheld.) There's some precedent with that with the DS releases. That and a mobile release.

I think it'd only make sense if they do plan on turning it into a series to make the first entry available on the new platform it'd be on, since I assume Japan won't be getting a DGS sequel in Japan on the 3DS at this point.

By no means that'd make it a guarantee for localization of course. It'd just extend the potential timeframe for a chance at localization since the 3DS is on its way out.

God dammit Capcom. God dammit.

Sounds like he's implying there's some content in the game that wouldn't fly overseas.

Not even a little. The game is incredibly tame. It's most likely a matter of team members available or lack of expendable funds. Because Capcom.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Maybe it's because Capcom had to decide between DGS and AA6 to localize, and only had the budget/manpower to localize AA6. DGS didn't light the Japanese charts on fire either, so it could be because Capcom thought they had a better product in AA6.

Capcom are really strapped for cash so I imagine they just focus on releasing the main series as eShop titles and nothing more. It's a terrible shame but without money from first parties Capcom can barely afford to make games, never mind localise them.

Just think how many Ace Attorney localisations they could have paid for with the money they wasted on DmC, Dark Void, Bionic Commando, etc. After they way they've run themselves into the ground I'm happy to be getting any AA games at all.

Top Bottom