• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What did we learn about the NX this E3

deleted

While nothing of substance was really directly mentioned about the NX, we still learned a thing or two about Nintendo's mystery box.

1st: UbiSoft is on board and seem to be in the known. With the first 3rd party announcement being Just Dance we get the impression that Nintendo is once again going for a blue ocean approach.

2nd: Zelda being stripped of Gamepad functionality indicates that the NX won't feature a Gamepad. Aonuma said it was distracting to switch between both screens constantly, yet he seemed to like the functionality very much for both Zelda HD ports.
His change in design philosophy could either mean that Zelda Wii U needs every little hardware power it can get to display it's open world, or that Nintendo is slowly shifting it's mind set to develop for NX. It also may point towards a more traditional control method.

3rd: Reggie mentioned they aren't concerned about specs once again. Personally I don't give a damn about Reggies statements. He's shown many times that there is a huge disconnect about what he knows, what he communicates and what he thinks the public wants to know.
Yet, he may very well be right about this one. I don't think we can expect hardware comparable to Scorpio with the NX...

4th: This one's highly speculative, but I think that the reason for Zelda's quick weapon select design may very well be connected to Nintendo's patent for scrollable shoulder buttons.
Left for weapons, right for ammunition type. On the other hand, Link being right handed could also indicate a return of motion gaming for Nintendo, since the only (?) time he's been shown that way was TP and SS on the Wii.

5th Mario apparently isn't among the launch titles and up to two years away according to Miyamoto

Last but not least, Nintendo seems to capture the essence of what gamers want at the moment with Zelda. Having a core launch title that manages to generate this kind of hype around it's gameplay alone hasn't been the case for Nintendo since the N64 with Super Mario 64 and bodes for a solid launch lineup all by itself.
It's certainly an important first step to change the perception of a gaming public that for the most part didn't care about Nintendo's console output for a good 5 years.

This thread may not reveal anything substantially new and I know it is speculative in other parts, but I guess we have enough to have some fun and talk about NX for a few pages. If it's a little early for that based on what we know, feel free to lock it all up.

For me personally, I don't think the NX will be anything revolutionary. It's probably a hybrid of some kind, what would explain the comment Reggie made about power.

However, the thought of a mobile device that could also connect to a TV (with or without a seperate box) is pretty damn cool. Not revolutionary, but very nice.

Also, I'm guessing it will launch at a much lower price than the competition, like 250 or something? Nintendo is clearly going after the demographic from the Wii days.

Other than that it's really hard to say what they're up to. But if third party developers are finally in the know, I fully expect some legit leaks in the coming months.

munchie64

It felt pretty strange to me how both Ubisoft and Nintendo just casually dropped the term "NX" when no one watching even really knows what that means or what it is.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
For me personally, I don't think the NX will be anything revolutionary. It's probably a hybrid of some kind, what would explain the comment Reggie made about power.

However, the thought of a mobile device that could also connect to a TV (with or without a seperate box) is pretty damn cool. Not revolutionary, but very nice.

Also, I'm guessing it will launch at a much lower price than the competition, like 250 or something? Nintendo is clearly going after the demographic from the Wii days.

Other than that it's really hard to say what they're up to. But if third party developers are finally in the know, I fully expect some legit leaks in the coming months.
Hybrid how? It's not a damn hybrid guys

-shadow-

We know that Just Dance is coming?

But I'm actually a bit excited that most (if not all) Gamepad support is being completely removed from Breath of the Wilds. It gives me hope for a mostly normal controller for the NX. Not saying the gamepad is a weird controller, but it really very rarely adds something worthwhile.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Indeed. I can't believe that this is still going on as an idea. Nintendo have shot it down. Deal with it, guys.

Kimishima also shutted down that it would be just another Wii/WiiU follow up - yet people were calling it another Wii after Reggies/Ubi dudes comments.

As Iwata said, the Internet can be a scary place.

Nintendo didn't mention Federation Force even though it comes out in a few months. I guess they didn't want to kill the vibe of Zelda by mentioning that polarizing title

LewieP

Can we have one thread about NX with the unsubstantiated nonsense about it being a hybrid in on the first page.

If anything, E3 has further destroyed the possibility that it will be a hybrid. You think there exists a handheld that would be able to play Breath of the Wild at the same resolution/graphical fidelity as the Wii U (never mind with the improvements the NX version is likely to have).

If there is a handheld that can play Breath of the Wild, it'll be on a sub-1080p/720p screen.

ugly

Can we have one thread about NX with the unsubstantiated nonsense about it being a hybrid in on the first page.

If anything, E3 has further destroyed the possibility that it will be a hybrid. You think there exists a handheld that would be able to play Breath of the Wild at the same resolution/graphical fidelity as the Wii U (never mind with the improvements the NX version is likely to have).

If there is a handheld that can play Breath of the Wild, it'll be on a sub-1080p/720p screen.

But wasn't Nintendo talking about a unified OS like Apple etc? Would there not be a possibility of cross-compatibility with some titles between a theoretical handheld and console?

To me everyone getting annoyed about the hybrid idea just seems like... like what the term hybrid implies is just semantics a little. That's how it feels

Nintenleo

Didn't think about the quick menu options linked to the new scrollable triggers. Thanks OP, I think you pretty much nailed it.

Hybrid how? It's not a damn hybrid guys

Indeed. I can't believe that this is still going on as an idea. Nintendo have shot it down. Deal with it, guys.

I just can't imagine what else it could be. It probably isn't a traditional console. I'm also guessing no VR. They are done with motion controls after the Wii (probably?).

A system that can stream footage to different devices with screens just sounds plausible to me.

JoeM86

But wasn't Nintendo talking about a unified OS like Apple etc? Would there not be a possibility of cross-compatibility with some titles between a theoretical handheld and console?

To me everyone getting annoyed about the hybrid idea just seems like... like what the term hybrid implies is just semantics a little. That's how it feels

When people say "It'll be a hybrid", they mean it'll be one device that is handheld but can connect to a TV.

What Nintendo have said is that their future handheld and console will share OS and architecture to make it easier for shared libraries and porting of engines/materials for games. That doesn't make it a hybrid really.

ugly

When people say "It'll be a hybrid", they mean it'll be one device that is handheld but can connect to a TV.

What Nintendo have said is that their future handheld and console will share OS and architecture to make it easier for shared libraries and porting of engines/materials for games. That doesn't make it a hybrid really.

Iiiiiiiiiiiii see. I stand corrected

LewieP

Of course. Everything Nintendo have said suggests two separate devices, a home console and a handheld, with greater overlap than any of their previous systems.

They have said nothing to suggest a single hybrid device that functions as both a handheld and a home console.

I just can't imagine what else it could be. It probably isn't a traditional console. I'm also guessing no VR. They are done with motion controls after the Wii (probably?).

A system that can stream footage to different devices with screens just sounds plausible to me.

Well to address my earlier point: Care to suggest what kind of mobile hardware you think they are going to ship that can play Breath of the Wild at the same or higher quality level as the Wii U?

Oregano

I know people were thinking Just Dance being the only Ubi announcement implied NX would be a casual machine with little support but I think there's a more significant pattern forming.

DQX - Wii, 3DS and Wii U.
DQXI - 3DS
Just Dance - Wii, Wii U
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Wii U

All the announced games are already out/announced for Nintendo systems and make no implications about the computing power of the device.

That could means it's low powered or it could just be that if someone like Namco announced Tekken 7 for NX it would tell us a lot about what NX is.

random25

What did we learn about the NX this E3? I'd say nothing new, really. Mostly speculations but we really don't get something new and concrete.

Well to address my earlier point: Care to suggest what kind of mobile hardware you think they are going to ship that can play Breath of the Wild at the same or higher quality level as the Wii U?

Tegra? I thought those chips are pretty capable.

Isn't Tegra 5 on the way?

The strongest argument for NX being a home console is the upcoming release of Just Dance 2017. New Just Dance was announced for myriad of new and old platforms, and all of them, from Wii to PC, are non-portable systems.

The portable NX can be less powerful while being close enough to a WiiU to play. Obviously WiiU/Home NX would play it better, but portable NX can easily get a version with less detailed graphics, possibly less FPS, and stuff like more popin. Its not impossible in a $200/$250 handheld. But I also have my doubts. Hope they can do a full shared library since I want to go all portable next gen for Nintendo.

JoeM86

What is a 'blue ocean approach', and how does it differ from 'red ocean', which I read Reggie mention the other day?

Blue Ocean typically means going for the wider audience so probably relatively weaker in order to keep price down. Do note that weaker in 2017 means like PS4 level.
Red ocean is focusing on the absolute core and fighting on specs

The portable NX can be less powerful while being close enough to a WiiU to play. Obviously WiiU/Home NX would play it better, but portable NX can easily get a version with less detailed graphics, possibly less FPS, and stuff like more popin. Its not impossible in a $200/$250 handheld. But I also have my doubts. Hope they can do a full shared library since I want to go all portable next gen for Nintendo.

Same

I know it's reeeeeeally unlikely, but I'm kind of hoping Zelda BOTW runs on the portable NX. I don't care if they have to lower the graphic quality, just having that enormous overworld on the go would be amazing. Probably won't happen though.

LewieP

Tegra? I thought those chips are pretty capable.

Isn't Tegra 5 on the way?

Existing Tegra chips would not be able to match the performance of the Wii U.

Yes this is what I expect will happen. 480p/540p handheld which will play the same games as the home console will at 1080p, with reduced image quality, framerate and/or model/texture quality.

Current mobile hardware is definitely capable of that task if you reduce the quality level. My point is that this won't be Nintendo's solution for playing games on your TV.

OMG you are probably right about the scrollable menus! Nice deduction!

Megaton feature. I hope third parties pick it up and it's not ultimately relegated to early first party Nintendo games and nothing else, like the GCN controller's analog thumb sticks or the speakers on the Wii Remote.

Blue Ocean typically means going for the wider audience so probably relatively weaker in order to keep price down. Do note that weaker in 2017 means like PS4 level.
Red ocean is focusing on the absolute core and fighting on specs

Thanks.

After the drop-off of the Wii and the non-start of the Wii U I'm surprised Nintendo think going for the blue ocean again is the best strategy. Surely the PS4 has taught them that laser-focusing on the 'hardcore' fanbase first and foremost should be their main priority?

Jackano

It's not (less) a problem to not compete with Neo/Scorpio specs wise than what it was before for Nintendo.
While it is still necessary to be efficient enough to hope to get ps4one multiplats, I believe that:
- Incremental upgrades will give Nintendo more opportunities to keep up than the previous 5 years generation span;
- Launching mid-gen, it is much more important to keep the price down.

Megaton feature. I hope third parties pick it up and it's not ultimately relegated to early first party Nintendo games and nothing else, like the GCN controller's analog thumb sticks or the speakers on the Wii Remote.

As a person who moved out from PC gaming before the last gen... how prominent is the usage of scroll wheels in modern PC ports of multiplatform games? I mean, if PC ports already make use of scroll wheels, I can't see what would stop developers from implementing the same functions but with NX's hypothetical scroll shoulders.

Thanks.

After the drop-off of the Wii and the non-start of the Wii U I'm surprised Nintendo think going for the blue ocean again is the best strategy. Surely the PS4 has taught them that laser-focusing on the 'hardcore' fanbase first and foremost should be their main priority?

Wii U was the opposite of going after the blue ocean. They did not try to create their own market, they chased after al existing ones instead (Wii owners, mobile/tablet gamers, core gamers, Nintendo fans).

Smellycat

Maybe I am reading too much into Miyamoto's comments, but the fact that 3D Mario probably won't be revealed till next E3 makes me think that NX's launch is right on schedule for spring 17. I don't think he would have said that without being confident in the company's plans.

It's not a hybrid.

Neoxon

From Zelda I think The controller won't be a game pad but it will have gyro controls in it
For the sake of Splatoon, it better.

Matt did say that the next Nintendo handheld's resolution would be "higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope", with a good chunk of us pegging the NX Handheld/whatever-the-next-Nintendo-handheld-is-called at 540p.

deleted

I'm absolutely positive that the NX handheld will be Nintendos last handheld if it's 250$. The market is just not sustainable at that price point anymore - and it stands to reason it never was. I guess it will be capable, but not nearly close to the NX home console even if they share certain aspects to make ports easier.

If Nintendo wants to come back into the blue ocean, they need to have a home console price point under 300$ and I believe they need a 150$ handheld max price point. At least as an entry price point.

At this point I'm also very positive that the general audience won't care for specs from Nintendo as much. Nintendo got pretty awesome stuff out of the Wii U and the transitional phase for their teams to find their HD footing is also done.
They won't need Scorpio terms of power to leave an impression. Having a system in between Xbox One and PS4 should be more than enough for Nintendos teams to work wonders and still be able to get 3rd party ports.
Remember that we most likely won't see games that will be confused for Wii ports this time around. Their flagship titles will looks pretty amazing, even if they started development on the Wii U. Another NSMBU situation is pretty much out of the question.

It's pretty much impossible to end up in another confusion 'is it Wii, is it Wii U, is it an add on' situation again with the NX. That will help immensly.

iFirez

When do people think we'll get a proper reveal?

I'm assuming they're going to have to start hyping the console some what and show its initial launch line up and such. My guess would be sometime in the Fall but before the Holidays. I'd find it strange if they left it until the New Year because then we'd only be 3 months out at the most. So they're surely have an awesome reveal Direct later this year, right?

deleted

As a person who moved out from PC gaming before the last gen... how prominent is the usage of scroll wheels in modern PC ports of multiplatform games? I mean, if PC ports already make use of scroll wheels, I can't see what would stop developers from implementing the same functions but with NX's hypothetical scroll shoulders.

Didn't think about the quick menu options linked to the new scrollable triggers. Thanks OP, I think you pretty much nailed it.

OMG you are probably right about the scrollable menus! Nice deduction!

Clickable scrollwheel shoulder buttons is enough innovation to last eons.

I hope I'm right about this. It should be so comfortable and a really great addition to traditional controls that circumvent much of the menus we have in games today. The 4 way d-pad quick select could very well be on it's way out.

On PC it's mostly used for scrolling and weapon select if the port is decent. Sometimes it gets ignored (looking at you Borderlands).. But it's not like there are many AAA games designed with the scroll wheel in mind. If Nintendo takes this on, they could very well put it in the limelight.

SalvaPot

I think the controller, even if it doesn't have a screen, it HAS to have a Gyrometer. It just needs it for Splatoon.

Top Bottom