• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Inadvertently Broadcasts His Own Killing on Facebook Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Man Inadvertently Broadcasts His Own Killing on Facebook Live

urder_Facebook_Live.jpg

Ever since Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald on live TV in 1963, broadcasters have worried about accidentally showing an act of violence on camera. With tools like Facebook Live and Periscope available to anyone with a smartphone, the chances of unexpectedly streaming a grisly moment have drastically increased.

In the latest example, Antonio Perkins, 28, was taking his friends through a quiet evening in his neighborhood in Chicago on Wednesday, using Facebook to broadcast video live, when, suddenly, gunshots were heard.

The camera fell to the ground, first showing grass, then darkness. But the audio continued. Screams followed: “Oh, my God!” “Call the police!” “Tony! No!”

Mr. Perkins was declared dead a short time later in a hospital. A police spokeswoman, Laura Amezaga, said Friday that detectives had confirmed that Mr. Perkins was the man mortally wounded in the video.

As the video shows, the ability to broadcast live carries with it risks that once were considered only by TV stations.

Facebook moderators take videos down if they glorify violence, but allows them to remain if they appear to be trying to raise awareness. In some cases, as in the video of Mr. Perkins, Facebook adds a disclaimer: “Warning — Graphic Video. Videos that contain graphic content can shock, offend and upset. Are you sure you want to see this?”

Whether for advocacy or for mere voyeurism, the video of Mr. Perkins has been shared thousands of times on social media. Though relatively infrequent, the list of gruesome violence accidentally captured through live streaming is growing.

More at the link-disturbing video as well...

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Footage of that one reporter and cameraman that got killed on-air a while back is still haunting to me so I don't think I'm going to bother looking at this one.

I just pray we never get another Christine Chubbuck situation.

Cipherr

Yeah saw this on another forum earlier. Harrowing seeing him fall and then his family screaming while he clearly faded away man that shit is terrible. The pain in their voices....

Tragic that the man lost his life, rip. But it stands to reason that the more folks stream themselves, the more things not usually caught on camera, will be caught on camera. Pretty straightforward. I mean, what's the message here?

It never ceases to amaze me just how fleeting life is. One second this guy is walking around, and then gone, erased from existence in an instant. Man..

I can't believe anyone willingly lives in the South Side of Chicago. Seems like everyday people are getting gunned down. I know you can argue that there is no escape, but a Greyhound ticket to I dunno Cleveland can't be more than 50 bucks, and I imagine the employment rates in both cities are comparable.

Tragic video that puts a face on an epidemic.

The problem isn't the broadcasting, the problem is the gun violence and senseless killing. Rest in peace, Antonio Perkins, and condolences to those you left behind. I hope this tragedy may at least serve to raise awareness of the problem and to stir politicians to take action, or at least not stand in the way.

I don't think I can watch the video myself, but just imagining its contents is horrible enough. We can't continue like this.

SoulUnison

Banned
This is the second such video in about a month.

Yeah, I clicked on this and then was like "What? A DIFFERENT livestreaming murder?"

The problem isn't the broadcasting, the problem is the gun violence and senseless killing. Rest in peace, Jack Ruby, and condolences to those you left behind. I hope this tragedy may at least serve to raise awareness of the problem and to stir politicians to take action, or at least not stand in the way.

I don't think I can watch the video myself, but just imagining its contents is horrible enough. We can't continue like this.

I think the bubble burst.

I can't believe anyone willingly lives in the South Side of Chicago. Seems like everyday people are getting gunned down. I know you can argue that there is no escape, but a Greyhound ticket to I dunno Cleveland can't be more than 50 bucks, and I imagine the employment rates in both cities are comparable.

Tragic video that puts a face on an epidemic.
If only they pooled their vast wealth in order to move to a new city and hope for a job.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Parts of Chicago seem like a damn war zone. And no one has any answers on how to fix it. Really disturbing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They don't call it Chiraq for nothing. Breaks my heart to see how commonplace this type of thing is out there. Rest in peace.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just checked, one way from Chicago to Cleveland for as low as $27 on greyhound.com.
For poor people, moving is very difficult. They need to have money for a deposit, assuming they can pass the credit check to live in a place. Greyhound isn't gonna let them bring all their furniture and shit on the bus.

Life isn't this simple, dude.

j0hnnix

Footage of that one reporter and cameraman that got killed on-air a while back is still haunting to me so I don't think I'm going to bother looking at this one.

I just pray we never get another Christine Chubbuck situation.

Was that the one her ex husband shoots her to death while filming? I think I saw it ok faces of death.

I just checked, one way from Chicago to Cleveland for as low as $27 on greyhound.com.

And live where? And pray for decent paying work? What about your family, friends, other non-wanting-to shoot-you community members etc?

I hear ya, it's not impossible, but c'mon. Anyway, if someone really wanted to 'escape', they could do that while still staying local to Chicago. The majority of the city is not a 'warzone'.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Was that the one her ex husband shoots her to death while filming? I think I saw it ok faces of death.

Nah, this one happened about a year ago. Former employee of the station tracked them down during a broadcast and killed them both live on the air.

For poor people, moving is very difficult. They need to have money for a deposit, assuming they can pass the credit check to live in a place. Greyhound isn't gonna let them bring all their furniture and shit on the bus.

Life isn't this simple, dude.

I moved everything I could stuff into 2 bags via the Greyhound when I was 19. I didn't have a lot of money and lived out of a cheap 'rent by the week' motel until I got situated.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but hell I'd rather take my chances finding work in a new city then risk getting gunned down standing on what looks like the sidewalk in daylight.

*edit* I'm not trying to change the direction of this thread, RIP to the victim and I hope Chicago gets its shit together.

Afrikan

am I the only one who thinks who ever that shot him, was helped by the live stream of knowing where he was at?

either the killer was following the stream or one of Perkins' "friends" on Facebook gave the shooter a heads up about where Perkins was at?

edit- by the way I haven't watched the Video so I might be missing something, I just choose not watch these things.

am I the only one who thinks who ever that shot him, was helped by the live stream of knowing where he was at?

either the killer was following the stream or one of Perkins' "friends" on Facebook gave the shooter a heads up about where Perkins was at?

edit- by the way I haven't watched the Video so I might be missing something, I just choose not watch these things.

The video doesn't show anything graphic, it's more hearing the gunshots and subsequent screams as the phone is dropped, and knowing from the article what the end result was.

If the stream in the vid was the full length though, not likely someone was tracking him that way, as is was just a couple seconds into the vid that the shots rang out.

Breads

Banned
This is the second such video in about a month.

I was thinking this but I didn't have the heart to watch to see if it was a different one.

Can't believe it was Chicago again...

Horrifying stuff. Wish we even knew how to approach the whole situation...

I moved everything I could stuff into 2 bags via the Greyhound when I was 19. I didn't have a lot of money and lived out of a cheap 'rent by the week' motel until I got situated.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but hell I'd rather take my chances finding work in a new city then risk getting gunned down standing on what looks like the sidewalk in daylight.

*edit* I'm not trying to change the direction of this thread, RIP to the victim and I hope Chicago gets its shit together.

Don't often ask this, but are you white? It wouldn't go so smoothly for POCs.

Breads

Banned
We know, we just don't care.

I hate the implication that problems like this are simple enough that everyone knows the solution and simply refuses to address it.

Dude was a gang banger, and heroin manufacturer (odd the story left that out, unless I missed it). Probably had everything to do with the attack.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/17/antonio-perkins-chicago-man-films-his-own-murder-o/

http://wgntv.com/2016/06/16/chicago-police-investigate-fatal-shooting-of-man-in-facebook-video/

I imagine it was left out because they didn't* want to imply that he deserved to die...

Dude was a gang banger, and heroin manufacturer (odd the story left that out, unless I missed it). Probably had everything to do with the attack.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/17/antonio-perkins-chicago-man-films-his-own-murder-o/

http://wgntv.com/2016/06/16/chicago-police-investigate-fatal-shooting-of-man-in-facebook-video/

The second link contradicts your post, family and friends are claiming he was on the right path (of course they would, but still). Not that it matters anyway as guy is dead now, but seemed he did his time in jail, had a job. He certainly did not deserve to die in the street in front of his kids regardless.

rjinaz

Don't often ask this, but are you white? It wouldn't go so smoothly for POCs.

That and most pay by the week hotels here in Phoenix would end up costing you $1000 per month. Might have been viable years ago, and maybe other cities have cheaper places.
Most apartments around here require first month and security deposit and sometimes last month as well running about $1000 just to move in if not more.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The second link contradicts your post, family and friends are claiming he was on the right path (of course they would, but still). Not that it matters anyway as guy is dead now, but seemed he did his time in jail, had a job. He certainly did not deserve to die in the street in front of his kids regardless.

Cops say otherwise, first link says otherwise. Often criminals deceive their friends and family, or friends and family will deny what a person does. Either way, even if he was "done with that life" doesn't mean it was done with him. And that kind of life, isn't one you just leave anyway.

I hate the implication that problems like this are simple enough that everyone knows the solution and simply refuses to address it.

I imagine it was left out because they didn't* want to imply that he deserved to die...

Addressing it doesn't imply he deserved to die, It gives context

rjinaz

Cops say otherwise, first link says otherwise. Often criminals deceive their friends and family, or friends and family will deny what a person does. Either way, even if he was "done with that life" doesn't mean it was done with him. And that kind of life, isn't one you just leave anyway.

Great.

A man was still gunned down on camera in Chicago. Not sure where you are going with this?

Was there an implied agenda with this topic?

Most of those hotel's are havens for low lives as well. Not exactly a huge step up unless you get lucky.

Also what did the dude above mix up with?

Philia

Yeah. This happened in our city (Roanoke, Virginia) and its pretty devastating loss. :( What's messed up is that they were somewhat fresh faces at the station and this asshole that gunned them down was just taking revenge out on the loss of his job with the station. Its a disgruntled employee situation taken extreme. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom