• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only person that prefers human Ganon over Pig Ganon?

SoldnerKei

I'm pretty fond of this incarnation:

I know...

hehehe

And I also like Ganondorf a lot more than I like Ganon... or Gannon P:

TP is still my fav "beat last boss several times" fight, also that 1-on-1 sword duel was like a dream come true since the GC tech demo.

Personal ranking:

S7jQzKm.png

>

AbwWUpS.png

>

jKw9jrM.png

>

Classic NES/SNES blue Ganon

>

WW Gannondorf

>

OoT Ganon

>

TP Ganon and Warriros Ganon

But yeah, a human enemy is more interesting than a big monster, pretty much every time.

SkyOdin

The problem is that we haven't actually seen a proper Ganon in any of the 3D Zelda games yet. OoT Ganon has a really great look, but he is burdened by a really simplistic fighting style. Classic Ganon has an insane moveset: teleportation, invisibility, a wide range of magical attacks, an awesome trident that can move of its own accord, and the ability to create doppelgangers. You see Twlight Princess Ganondorf show off a fraction of this when he summons a squadron of mounted Phantom Ganons to attack with during the mounted segment of his boss fight, but that is about it.

If you were to take the appearance of Ganon from OoT, give him the moveset of ALttP Ganon or ALBW Yuga-Ganon, and let him dominate the story from the beginning, I think that more people would be fans of classic Ganon.

TheJoRu

Ganondorf is vastly superior to just Ganon. Except for TP Ganondorf, though I do like this shot of him on the throne at Hyrule Castle.

1587.jpg

He looks bored, but at the same time pleased because all that he truly cares about is the power and he has it. Who cares about boredom? But yeah, he sucks pretty hard. The great thing about Ganondorf in OoT is that you're introduced to him so early, not just in name but you see him through the window looking all menacing and discomforting. Right from the get-go he's this intimidating presence, and that feeling only escalates as you go through the game. It works better than making him the villain through some disappointing mid-to-late story twist. I also like my villains speaking, and slightly fleshed out, which is hard to get with a pig.

120v

I thought his "final form" in OoT was more of a nod to old school zelda rather than a supposed Over 9000 SSJ ganon

Always liked the human redesign though. It was cool back in the day because in past games you never really got a good look at him. He was never in much (if any?) of the official illustrations before OoT so it was pretty much the first time he became an actual character

Not a fan of pig ganon. Human ganon is way cooler to me. That being said I started with Wind Waker so I have very little attachment to pig ganon.

Pig Ganon is the best because he is a big Saturday morning cartoon villain and Zelda is essentially a Saturday morning cartoon in videogame form.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I'm gonna echo the sentiments of others that said human Ganon has more personality than Pig Ganon and his boss fights are more personal.

Even though Pig Ganon may be more iconic for some since he's the original, outside of a few dialogue lines from ALttP we really don't get to know him like we do human Ganon, as shallow as some of his incarnations may/may not be to people.

Most of the time we see Pig Ganon he's just this feral monster that you fight, no dialogue...no nothing.

At least human Ganon, most of the time there's some backstory littered about in the game's story then when you finally meet him, you finally get to understand his motives or at least see what type of person he is

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
But yeah, a human enemy is more interesting than a big monster, pretty much every time.
I prefer human Ganon, as in, Ganondorf.

Ganon is just a mindless beast. Ganondorf on the other hand has actual personality.
You play as a human in nearly every game, humans are the baddies in sooo many games, a human is also the big baddie in sooo many games. So whats interesting about having yet another one on the pile? Why shouldn't the ruler/commander of all monsters not also be one himself o.o?

[QUOTE="D";207840662]Most of the time we see Pig Ganon he's just this feral monster that you fight, no dialogue...no nothing.[/QUOTE]
Don't that serve ta make him more menacing? Like facing the unknown? Rather than delving through some lame backstory and meeting someone who'll speak back at you like "look dude I get where you're coming from but you're doing it wrong so I'ma defeat you an save the land"?

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
You play as a human in nearly every game, humans are the baddies in sooo many games, a human is also the big baddie in sooo many games. So whats interesting about having yet another one on the pile? Why shouldn't the ruler/commander of all monsters not also be one himself o.o?

The same could be said about monsters in a sense, especially since most of the main antagonist human baddies inevitably morph into some kind of creature as their final/super form

TrueBlue

Ganondorf is the man. His incarnations in Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Hyrule Warriors are awesome. The battle with him in Wind Waker is among my favourites ever.

Hell, I even like him in TP, if only because his battles serve as a nice finale. It's just a shame it came at the expense of the plot.

"D"

Don't that serve ta make him more menacing? Like facing the unknown? Rather than delving through some lame backstory and meeting someone who'll speak back at you like "look dude I get where you're coming from but you're doing it wrong so I'ma defeat you an save the land"?

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Facing off against an enemy that displays intelligence, tactics, and a motive that you can actually visualize is far more intimidating to me personally than just fighting some mindless feral beast. It would be different if Pig Ganon has displayed this in most of the games he's featured in but no...he's always just a rampaging monster. ALttP had him more "in control" but that's about it

My problem with pig Ganon isn't that he's a monster. Or his appearance.

It's just that, Nintendo makes him clearly mindless when he's in pig form. Monsters don't necessarily have to be that way, but that's what Nintendo's almost always done with him.

If pig Ganon was more like Bowser, who has a TON of personality despite being a monster, I'd like him a lot more! Personality is everything in a villain. I don't like villains that are just "Rawr I'm evil! I want to kill everything!" Human Ganondorf, at least in Wind Waker, is given more motivations for his evil than just this.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

It's just that, Nintendo makes him clearly mindless when he's in pig form. Monsters don't necessarily have to be that way, but that's what Nintendo's almost always done with him.

If pig Ganon was more like Bowser, who has a TON of personality despite being a monster, I'd like him a lot more! Personality is everything in a villain. I don't like villains that are just "Rawr I'm evil! I want to kill everything!" Human Ganondorf, at least in Wind Waker, is given more motivations for his evil than just this.
This is true but this is Nintendo & Zelda we're talking about here. Given recent certain excuses they've given is it really surprising they'd take the conservative route an have a monster just be a traditional monster?

RiamuBME

As someone who's first Zelda was OoT, then worked his way backwards. Human Ganon, specifically just "Ganondorf" is what I prefer. His nasty smirk and towering stature.

First time we see him as he's bowing to the king and then looks at Link and Zelda through the window. HOLY SHIT. Still one of the best moments.

Ganon in the original and LttP had tactics though? Turning invisible or knocking the lights out, breaking away the floorspace an other stuff. NES one especially was always a scary fight for me since it was actually challenging!

This is true but this is Nintendo & Zelda we're talking about here. Given recent certain excuses they've given is it really surprising they'd take the conservative route an have a monster just be a traditional monster?

It's not surprising at all, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. :p

Nintendo has added villains with interesting personality before to the series. Yuga and Ghirahim. (Both also my fave Zelda villains) So it's not like they're incapable or unwilling to have this in the series. They just don't want to for pig Ganon specifically. :\

saturnine

ManlyGuysDoingManlyThings!Ganondorf > All other incarnations.

More seriously, I'd rather have Ganondorf than Ganon. At least he sometimes has some semblance of personality, however shallow. Better than a mindless beast at least.

EvB

I always thought the if looked stupid.

Pointy nosed ginger guy is how he will always be remembered to me

I like that there has only been a single character of Ganondorf in the series.

Orcarina and then what happens to him in two different time lines.

I prefer if they don't bring him back unless it's from that stupid third timeline.

I rather have a brand new human form of Ganon, like Ganonmon. A younger, pretty boy like Link.

Change it up.

He was a smart wizard-pig in TloZ1, TloZ2, LttP.

Anyway, Ganon-pig >>> boring Ganondorf.
Human form is so boring. Never should have existed.

Nottle

I didn't think that people did prefer pig Ganon.

Ganondorf is always so much cooler to me. I love his Twilight princess royal look and his robed Wind Waker look. He looks like he has class but could just murder you. Sort of hope that's how he is in Breath of the wild; confident, elegant, powerful, manipulative.

Also I sort of wish we were given more scenes with Ganondorf interacting with anyone other than Link, Zelda, or the king of Hyrule. Sort of wish he had some really badass minions that could sort of serve as Link's rival that you would get scenes of him ordering them around.

I like that there has only been a single character of Ganondorf in the series.

Orcarina and then what happens to him in two different time lines.

I prefer if they don't bring him back unless it's from that stupid third timeline.

I rather have a brand new human form of Ganon, like Ganonmon. A younger, pretty boy like Link.

Change it up

These two bolded statements are contradictory, aren't they?

The only way they could really change Ganon up is if they had him actually fully die every game, and then in the next one he was a reincarnation, similar to Zelda and Link. But so far in the series, it's always just been a single incarnation, who never dies and just gets temporarily locked away in the Sacred Realm.

They could do so much more with him if it was a different reincarnation every time. Link (green garb aside) changes dramatically from game to game because of it.

The Boat

That would defeat the purpose of beast Ganon (well, from OoT onwards anyway). His transformation is basically him letting the power corrupt and transform him, letting the hate take over. That's why we have Ganondorf to counteract that, so we can get both worlds.

Zebei

I always thought Ganondorf had been the vastly more popular form of Ganon for years.

I had no idea people thought Ganon was more popular. I mean. . . OoT is probably the most popular LoZ and it has Ganondorf and Smash exists making Dorf's popularity even more widespread. Ganon fans always seemed like the minority to me. . .

That would defeat the purpose of beast Ganon (well, from OoT onwards anyway). His transformation is basically him letting the power corrupt and transform him, letting the hate take over. That's why we have Ganondorf to counteract that, so we can get both worlds.

Good point.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Human Ganondorf can talk and looks more menacing whereas Pig Gannon will just say "Oink oink oink" and just looks silly.

So human Ganondorf is miles better.

I hope Ganondorf gets a new look in BotW and isn't just a large shapeless pig thing. I'm tired of seeing TP Ganon everywhere. :(

Well Twilight Princess was the last time we saw Ganondorf in a main series Zelda game.

Well In Ocarina of Time, when he became Ganon and died, they went back in time. So he never became Ganon. Hence his future appearance since he's supposedly the same Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time
(Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile since I recall the timeline stuff)

Ganon didn't died in Adult Link timeline, he was reverted back into Ganondorf and was sealed away, with the Triforce of Power intact with allowed him to later break free in Windwaker where he lost the Triforce of Power and was stabbed in the head, turned to stone and was flooded with Hyrule to the bottom of the sea.

latest

No love for Yuga Ganon?

I had forgotten that happened, goes to show just how much I didn't like Link Between World.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The 3D games haven't really attempted to do pig ganon in a straightforward manner. It's always a JRPG boss BEHOLD MY TRUE POWER transition into a 30-foot, overly-ornamental pig nightmare mutant.

The human forms have been pretty neat, but they're becoming a bit stale and expected. They should try just doing Ganon as an imposing blue pig dude throughout just to change the dynamic up, no ULTIMATE TRANSFORMATION crutch needed.

tumblr_o8bkthk4Xn1vvfjdgo1_1280.jpg

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Human Ganondorf can talk and looks more menacing whereas Pig Gannon will just say "Oink oink oink" and just looks silly.

Pig Ganon used to look pretty menacing(and talk well) back in the NES/SNES era.
ssSxDew.jpg

After LttP was when his designs became more and more goofy or off-looking.

Also I wish they had used Pig Ganon in Smash instead of starting him off as a stronger Captain Falcon clone. Imagine the moveset he would have had with his magic, cloak, and trident.

Nottle

latest

No love for Yuga Ganon?
The problem is that any villain in a game with Ganon is going to be overshadowed by Ganon, because he commands a presence unlike Yuga or Agahnim. Zant was close but they dropped the ball the 11th hour. Majora and Vaati are legit, but they are in so few games. They need a comeback. I would love a Zelda game like Breath of the Wild to have a big halfway mark disc 1 boss that is one of those guys.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah I have to say I generally prefer human Ganondorf. There's just a lot more there to him. Though I'm fine with him transforming into pig Ganon for effect.

Toxi

Banned
Considering how much more exposure human Ganon gets these days in comparison to pig Ganon, I'd be surprised if the majority didn't prefer him.

Top Bottom