• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo appoints a new distributor in Greece, Cyprus and the Balkans

ash_ag

Following the end of collaboration with Nortec. Didn't take too long.

CD Media and Nintendo have signed an agreement to distribute future software titles and platforms
June 22, 2016 – Nintendo of Europe GmbH is pleased to confirm that from October 1, 2016, CD Media SE will become its local regional distribution representative for Greece and the Balkan region*.

Satoru Shibata, President of Nintendo of Europe, said, “We are very happy to begin our co-operation with CD Media, and we would like to thank all Nintendo fans in Greece and surrounding territories for their continued support in our franchises. We believe CD Media has a very strong team and service infrastructure in the region to deliver our content.”

Spiros Jamas, President of CD Media, said, “We are absolutely delighted and honoured to have been selected by Nintendo of Europe as their regional distribution partner. This is a pivotal moment in our development as the leading distributor of digital entertainment in the region. We are committed to provide Nintendo fans and consumers in general in the region with exemplary service and support.”

For further updates:

Nintendo website: http://www.nintendo.gr

Nintendo Hellas on Facebook (managed by CD Media): http://www.facebook.com/Nintendo.gr
Nintendo of Europe on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendoeurope
Nintendo of Europe on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/team/nintendo 

Nintendo of Europe on Instagram https://instagram.com/nintendoeurope 

Note to Editors:

* Regions include: Greece, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Albania, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia.
PR from the official site.

Based on the Greek microsite note, CD Media will formally take the reins starting October 1st.

Some additional information from ninty.gr include:
  • Biggest investment of CD Media yet
  • They will provide direct official service for Nintendo products
  • Will continue on Nortec's footsteps as far as pricing goes
  • Aim to fill store shelves with Nintendo products
  • In talks with numerous major retailers, including Plaisio which had previously broken all relations with Nortec
  • As per Nortec, will have a strong focus on Limited/Collectors' Editions
  • Tied-in with Nintendo's infrastructure (eShop, My Nintendo)
  • No involvement with Miitomo
  • No online store for the moment

CD Media previously handled (and still does) distribution of most major publishers' games, including Ubisoft, Take2, Capcom, Disney, Square Enix, Tecmo-Koei, Sony and Microsoft. Interestingly, I believe this will be the first time Nintendo games will be officially distributed in some Balkan countries. Nortec previously only distributed in Bulgaria, FYROM and Albania as far as I know, but now it seems that Romania, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro and Serbia will also be accommodated.

This is extremely good news. Last few months have been harsh for Nintendo in Greece, with only the most key titles arriving in retailers. Looking forward to see how this pans out.

valouris

It's about time, I was starting to get worried with NX on the horizon. Good news about their retail ambitions and Plaisio.

dimmer

Αt last. It still hurts me about Project Zero Wii U. It didn't reach the greek stores and due to the Capital Controls I couldn't import it either.

nikatapi

Great news, CD media is a very capable company, and hopefully they can improve Nintendo's position on the market.

casiopao

Guys, question here does this CD media also provide the product for the Russia? Or that is not included.

And, is this CD Media had the same purpose as Maxsoft in Singapore?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good to see they solved the issue for Greek customers this fast. Also, it's great that CD Media should actually provide distribution in more regions than what Nortec used to do: Nintendo expanding its reach in more, smaller countries is something that they badly need for the future. Hopefully, CD Media's distribution will be executed as well as it sounds on paper, especially the following points

• Biggest investment of CD Media yet
  • They will provide direct official service for Nintendo products
  • Will continue on Nortec's footsteps as far as pricing goes
  • Aim to fill store shelves with Nintendo products
  • In talks with numerous major retailers, including Plaisio which had previously broken all relations with Nortec
  • As per Nortec, will have a strong focus on Limited/Collectors' Editions
  • Tied-in with Nintendo's infrastructure (eShop, My Nintendo)

PrimeX

From my perspective this is a bad news, but bad news is better than nothing. I would have hoped for a Romanian standalone distributor. Oh well, first of all they should translate their site in english at least, I can't understand a "iota" from greek language :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Good. After Nortec dropped the ball the B&M presence of nintendo has been rather dire on the Balkans.

I'm from Greece and these really are some great news. The lack of Nintendo products from store shelves was really disheartening and disappointing, which also meant that we had to import almost every new game.

In other news, the distributor of EA products also changed and now is a part of Bandai Namco Greece.

Sounds promising. I remember while growing up in Cyprus getting games with German text which was god awful. A lot of stores carried German subtitled games in the 90s. Not to forget it took a long ass time for games to arrive and poor selection.

Top Bottom